Prototype for everything corner.

Hi everyone,

How about a scenic prototype that looks straight out of an old Hornby catalogue:

attachicon.gifPC260048.JPG

This is just 'north' of Aberdeen Joint Station on the line to Kittybrewster.

Regards,

Alex.

There is an even more "train-set" like on in Genoa down by the docks, remember seeing it from a cruise ship I was on, don't have the photographs from that trip to hand so here is a grab from Google

post-188-0-07595300-1535106588_thumb.jpg

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There is an even more "train-set" like on in Genoa down by the docks, remember seeing it from a cruise ship I was on, don't have the photographs from that trip to hand so here is a grab from Google

attachicon.gifgenoa.JPG

Jim

Birmingham in the area of Moor St station where the line from Snow Hill emerges from a tunnel straight into Moor St station and out onto a viaduct. The station is also over the mouth of the tunnel of the lines into New Street.

A road also crosses the New St lines and goes under Moor St station. (usually with bus travelling along it!)

https://goo.gl/maps/dQHp7zopHa82

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yep, Ashton still the same.

I grabbed these on the commute home last night.

post-12815-0-09480900-1535198605_thumb.jpg

New track, new ballast, new signals...

...new bridges, new platform edges and surface (just out of view on the other side of the bridge)...

post-12815-0-06375200-1535198681_thumb.jpg

No wonder politicians balk at the price of electrification!

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, Ashton still the same.

I grabbed these on the commute home last night.

attachicon.gif20180824_163200.jpg

New track, new ballast, new signals...

...new bridges, new platform edges and surface (just out of view on the other side of the bridge)...

attachicon.gif20180824_163202.jpg

No wonder politicians balk at the price of electrification!

Kev.

And, unless it is only in a temporary location at the moment, the SPT is about 20 metres too close to the signal.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

And, unless it is only in a temporary location at the moment, the SPT is about 20 metres too close to the signal.

Regards, Ian.

just what you need in the highly compressed world of model railways.

Kev.

PS.   What's a SPT!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

just what you need in the highly compressed world of model railways.

Kev.

PS.   What's a SPT!

My apologies Kev, I was stuck in work mode. An SPT is a Signal Post Telephone. Still called such, although we no longer mount the phones (on new resignalling jobs) on the actual signal posts but approximately 20 metres or so on the approach to a signal. A few years ago it was deemed helpful in preventing SPADs, as the drivers could pull up a bit short of the signal and not to have to walk to the telephone.

Regards, Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you messed up your headcode for your latest Brush 4 project, or maybe you just can't be ar**d to bother with it properly?

No problem, just add some sticky labels to the outside of the headcode panel.....

post-4474-0-64066100-1536311660_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Have you messed up your headcode for your latest Brush 4 project, or maybe you just can't be ar**d to bother with it properly?

No problem, just add some sticky labels to the outside of the headcode panel.....

attachicon.gifIMG_2130.jpg

A Norman Preedy classic if ever there was one, what would we diesel followers have done without him?  ;)

• Like 1

Here's another example of 'stick-on' numbers.. (this one has previously appeared on another thread)

post-24907-0-28467100-1536391255_thumb.jpg

D1846 at Preston on 18th July 1968, with 45212 and D7577 in the background

And if you've made a mess of the headcode but can't be bothered to redo it, why not just stick some steam-era headlamps on the front?

post-24907-0-31289600-1536391494_thumb.jpg

D1730 at Newcastle on 6th July 1968

Trevor

• Like 12

A Norman Preedy classic if ever there was one, what would we diesel followers have done without him?  ;)

Exactly.

I bought a job lot of his b/w photos at auction. There were about 1500 in various boxes and although some are very "samey", just a loco on shed, many are fascinating with regard to detail differences. 

• Like 1

This photo is not credited to Norman Preedy in the box of Brush 4s; but it may be by him. 

However it shows that the vehicle provided for the guard on early freighliner services was not limited to BGs and ex-Stanier BSKs. Here we have a Mk1 non-vestibuled brake second coach in use on 3S45 heading north through what looks like the lower slopes of Shap behind D1860 sometime in the mid-60s. 

post-4474-0-74201000-1536414180_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Next we'll be seeing 08s in passenger service at Springburn!

(Okay, so it was a Saturday afternoon around 1982, and an Eastfield 08 was recovering a failed 3-car 101 on the Springburn-Cumbernauld shuttle.  A replacement unit meant that the down train left only ten minutes late! Oh how I wish I had owned a camera back then.)

• Like 2

They were common visitors to Eastfield Depot, it had the most convenient tyre turning lathe for the "Blue Trains"

Jim

There is a photo of Eastfield depot in one of the Strathwood books c.1970 showing a length of overhead catenary - well before that area received it - and without any insulators; would this have been for pantograph adjustments?

Cheers,

Martyn.

There is a photo of Eastfield depot in one of the Strathwood books c.1970 showing a length of overhead catenary - well before that area received it - and without any insulators; would this have been for pantograph adjustments?

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn - I have not seen that photo, cannot ever remember any OHLE at Eastfield (but that is not to say it wasn't there), I would have thought that a more likely place to have a stretch of OHLE for test and adjustment purposes would have been at Glasgow (St Rollox) Works, as that is where the AM3/class 303 heavy overhauls took place, the depot was completely rebuilt from the old steam shed to the Diesel Depot in 1969/70.  Would like to see that photo.

Jim

Hi Martyn - I have not seen that photo, cannot ever remember any OHLE at Eastfield (but that is not to say it wasn't there), I would have thought that a more likely place to have a stretch of OHLE for test and adjustment purposes would have been at Glasgow (St Rollox) Works, as that is where the AM3/class 303 heavy overhauls took place, the depot was completely rebuilt from the old steam shed to the Diesel Depot in 1969/70. Would like to see that photo.

Jim

Hi Jim, can't share it here for copyright reasons but will try to send details to you this evening. It is possible my memory or the caption may have the location wrong, but it sticks in my head as being Eastfield. Need to find which book it was too.

Martyn.

Think the catenary might have been used for MIC classes so that Eastfield train crews could understand working under the overhead live wires - on the Glasgow Northside Blue Trains routes.  I do recall seeing something similar at Aintree Shed in north Liverpool in the mid to late 1960's - also well away from the Lime Street to Crewe 25KV line.  Of course there was no power in the wires at the shed!  (AM)  

Cheers,
Martyn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The exploits of the restored Scottish steamers in the early 60's are well documented (in Scotland) but do you fancy having HR 103 on a layout based on Wellingborough?

6880014252_f0b255bc25_z.jpgHighland Railway No 103 by Tony, on Flickr

Presumably in connection with its trip to the Bedford area for use in the filming of 'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines'