859 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

Maybe you know how to create a trapezoid with it?

...R

Its pretty  clunky to do - create a rectangle, select it and press the object to path button mentioned above, select the node tool to bring up the corner nodes, click on the one you want to adjust and move it.

If you hold the CTL key as you move it it will not wander up or down as you slide it - hard to explain, easier to test for yourself what I mean.

The clunky bit comes in if you want to move the opposite corner node the same distance as the first one so you get parallel lines - I haven't been able to find a way of duplicating the amount you moved the first one, other than moving the first one by pressing the arrow key and counting the number of times you press it, then doing the same with the other corner and clicking the same number of times.

Is there a better way I know not of?

• RMweb Gold

Are you after a parallelogram like this?

-------

/     /

/     /

-------

If you are, after using Object to Path, you need to select the top two corners and then move them together to the right. You can either lasso them or use the Shift key and click on each one and move to the right

If you are after this

-----

/     \

/              \

--------------

Then select the opposite corners and move to the right.

If I'm working to tight tolerances, I'll also edit the x and y values in the top toolbar. Sometimes I'll do this anyway to make sure everything is square.

Edited by JCL

I guess we really should be doing this under the Inkscape topic.

CHEAT!

Draw two rectangles and align then on their centre.

Convert the larger from object to path.

Edit the top corner lh node and whilst holding the Ctrl key drag it to the inner rectangle.

Repeat for the rh top node.

Delete the inner rectangle.

post-3717-0-61054900-1485296590.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Ed asked me to look at a Studio to svg file converter by Ideas R Us http://www.ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx . I finally got to it tonight and I'm impressed. First things first, there is a list of known issues on this page http://www.ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx#KnownIssues , Except for grouping, I'm not sure these are important if you are producing files that are for cutting only. I decided to throw a file I did some time ago when I was thinking of drawing and cutting out a GNR livery. This file has groups, rectangles, Bezier curves, images, colours and different line thicknesses.

In the image below, the converted to SVG file is on the left, the original Silhouette file is on the right. Click on the image for a 1:1 scale view.

post-14192-0-59483300-1485409332_thumb.jpg

My observations are as follows - numbers correspond with those in the image:

1. The shapes in the two files are the same size. The 1 in each file mark the location of the dimension information
  2. The converter has problems with line thickness, here the white line that is around the green shape is too think.
  3. This is the line resized, it looks like the object is the correct size, and it's only the line thickness that's incorrect.
  4. Although the red colour looks different in the SVG file to that in the Studio file, this is again down to the line thickness, and the colour is the same in both files.
  5. The G, N and R in the top green box is garbage.

So really, with this drawing, there are only two issues; line thicknesses and images.

If you have created a studio file that is for the knife only, then I don't think that this would be an issue as the line thickness does not affect the location of the blade. At the very least, if the file was complex and involved a lot of work, then the converter would at the very least give you a good starting point. For example, I have an M&GNR full brake drawn out (see page 1 of this thread) that is only a Studio file. Ordinarily I'd have to redraw this as it's impossible to export to SVG, but I've just used the converter to convert it. As you can see, the results are very good.

Original file:

post-14192-0-11516900-1485410831_thumb.jpg

Converted file:

post-14192-0-89160100-1485410831_thumb.jpg

The curves on the end are Bezier curves, not lots of nodes and straight lines. This would aid subsequent editing.

post-14192-0-21047400-1485410986.jpg

It is worth giving the free trial a go if you have a need to convert to a more widely used file format, but note that after the first 10 conversions you do have to pay to use the converter, and you do this by buying batches of credits. If you do use it, and note any other problems, please let us know  what they are.

Hope that helps someone.

Jason

Edited by JCL

Hi Jason

Did you actually create those drawings in Studio. If so that is amazing. I found it so limited and could not seem to draw anything acurately. Hence my use of Inkscape which can be infuriating at times but has always come through in the end.

Has anyone produced/seen a video/tutorial on using Inscapes Bezier curves to actually create a required shape? I have watched lots of examples showing WHAT can be done with them but none on HOW to create an actual shape. Is it just load and scale the shape you need as an image and then drop a Bezier curve over the top and waggle the nodes and handles until it fits? I have managed to trace an object but the result is usually lots of short curves and sometimes extra segments which take ages to rationalise.

John

Can anybody suggest a free drawing program that we can try? We have a cameo 3 and a cameo portrait and want to do some of our own designs. We may buy a more comprehensive drawing package if we get on o.k.

Thanks for any info you may have

Steve

In reply to this query , it seems most recommend Studio, a second group recommend Inkscape (despite some difficulty in learning its foibles) and several commend Correldraw because they've always used it.

I learnt (and taught) Autocad when I worked but since retirement could never afford the software. I found Google's Sketchup quite easy to learn but it has since been sold on and become a total package that rivals Autocad in price. There is still a free Sketchup Make (front end light programme) that I use, but I have seen no mention of it on this excellent thread.

In summary: the preferred recommendation appears to be 'bite on the bullet and learn Inkscape'.

dh

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, you're a dark horse, Do you fancy doing some screenshots of some of the things you've done in Studio?

Hi John

Bezier curves for me were a bit of a black box when it came to drawing. At the beginning I'd wiggle the control handles around hoping that the resulting curve would match what I really wanted. Since then I've got better at them, but your question has led me to have a look around for videos, and I've learned how they actually work. This is a very good video

and it shows you how the position and length of the control handles affect the shape of the curve. It might look a little dry, but it's worth following until the end. I had a lightbulb moment because of it.

I've not found any good tutorial videos on Bezier curves - i.e. ones that explain how two points interact and how the control handles do actually control them, but if it helps, Mike Trice did a couple of posts about them a while ago http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80563-introduction-to-using-inkscape-to-produce-cutting-files/page-2

There was one video about tracing a pear that had an interesting concept. I don't have a lot of time this morning, but have a look at the video, then Mike's posts, then download the pear.svg file here. There are three pears, one iis blank, one has a straight line irregular shape on it, and one has a Bezier curved line that outlines the pear. The line around the third pear has the same vector points as the one around the second pear, the only difference is that I've been messing about with the control points.

On the first pear, see if you can use the Bezier pen and recreate the outline yourself. You can use the information on the second and third pears to guide you. If you are happy with that, have a look for a different shape on the internet on which to try to draw an outline - you could even try the outline of the end of a coach.

pear.svg

If this doesn't help at all then I'll try to do something properly on this when I get a spare hour.

..........Unfortunately there aren't any .studio file converters - or at least none that I've found.

I have read that Studio v.1.9 can export SVG files but only if you have the 'designer' edition.  This feature was dropped from later versions, possibly for licensing reasons.  Can anyone confirm this?  Perhaps it is what is behind online conversion services.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

You may well be correct - http://createinspain.blogspot.ca/2015/12/stop-press-you-can-now-convert-studio.html . All tutorials seem to convert a file to jpg and then traced as per the post above.This is fine for crafts, but if you are looking at sub-mm accuracy you could find problems.

edited to add, if the reason for lack of svg export is indeed protectionism, then it will be interesting to see how long the converter will last.

Edited by JCL

Hi Andy, you're a dark horse, Do you fancy doing some screenshots of some of the things you've done in Studio?

Hi John

Bezier curves for me were a bit of a black box when it came to drawing. At the beginning I'd wiggle the control handles around hoping that the resulting curve would match what I really wanted. Since then I've got better at them, but your question has led me to have a look around for videos, and I've learned how they actually work. This is a very good video

and it shows you how the position and length of the control handles affect the shape of the curve. It might look a little dry, but it's worth following until the end. I had a lightbulb moment because of it.

I've not found any good tutorial videos on Bezier curves - i.e. ones that explain how two points interact and how the control handles do actually control them, but if it helps, Mike Trice did a couple of posts about them a while ago http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80563-introduction-to-using-inkscape-to-produce-cutting-files/page-2

There was one video about tracing a pear that had an interesting concept. I don't have a lot of time this morning, but have a look at the video, then Mike's posts, then download the pear.svg file here. There are three pears, one iis blank, one has a straight line irregular shape on it, and one has a Bezier curved line that outlines the pear. The line around the third pear has the same vector points as the one around the second pear, the only difference is that I've been messing about with the control points.

On the first pear, see if you can use the Bezier pen and recreate the outline yourself. You can use the information on the second and third pears to guide you. If you are happy with that, have a look for a different shape on the internet on which to try to draw an outline - you could even try the outline of the end of a coach.

attachicon.gifpear.svg

If this doesn't help at all then I'll try to do something properly on this when I get a spare hour.

Hi Jason

Thanks for a very detailed reply. There is a lot there and I will need some time to digest it all. I will let you know how I get on soon!

John

if the reason for lack of svg export is indeed protectionism, then it will be interesting to see how long the converter will last.

Seems a rather pointless waste of programmer resources when it is so easy to use a Portrait or Cameo without using any of the Silhouette Software.

...R

Although the studio software is easy, I still miss a "real" eraser tool. In Corel (from version X3 from more then 10 years ago) it is possible to erase a part of a circle without that the software closes the circle again. This is why you don't need to use the Bezier curves. This makes live so easy.

Jason - thanks for testing the converter but I think it is a no go for the work most of us wants to do.

Ed

Jason - thanks very much for finding the tutorial on bezier curves; it is something that I should have done for myself a long time ago.  I always have trouble drawing the coach ends to match the drawings, though the drawings themselves are not consistent, in that the two sides do not mirror each other.  I usually create half the end and then mirror it, but end up with a "corner" at the middle where the two halves join.  Having played with tracing the pear, I should be able to do better with the ends; I think I tend to use too many points along the curves.

BTW - when doing the drawings, I first duplicate the half end, mirror it and then slide it sideways to make the end.  I then duplicate the two half-ends in a different colour and play about with them until happy with the shape, flipping them horizontally to see how symmetrical the revised shape is compared to the original.

Mick

• Like 1

Hi Jason

Well I think I now know how to manipulate Bezier curves to follow a set path. The Video was very interresting but did not really shine any light on how to use them. I had already looked at Mikes tutorial but still only understood what can be done. However, when I looked at the pear The light gradually came on!

All I did in the end was put the first 5 points about where they were in the second pear by drawing straight line segments using click at the first point, then at the second and so on until I got back to the first point where I ckicked and pressed enter. I was not very acurate with this last click so I joined to last 2 nodes together manually.

It was at this point that I was momentarily stuck for what to do next. So with the node editer selected I tried clicking on a line segment - not a node - and dragged it. To my surprise the line started to curve towards the required path. I was on a roll so I pulled all the lines until I was closer to the goal. Then by continuing to pull the lines and move the nodes the shape gradually became correct. I then started to show off and added a couple of nodes at the top to better match that part of the pear.

My result can be seen here:

pear1.svg

Thanks for posting links to all the information Jason and to Mike for the Inkscape tutorial. For the first time in my life I now feel able to USE Bezier curves rather than play with them in the hope that the light will come on only to eventually give up and admit defeat yet again!

John

• RMweb Premium

It looks as if I will be getting some square eye time when I get back, trying to see if I can get my head around studio, especially as my pc with an old version of Autocad refused to boot up before I left. It went in for mending, but I won't be holding my breath, as it was running xp.

It looks as if I will be getting some square eye time when I get back, trying to see if I can get my head around studio, especially as my pc with an old version of Autocad refused to boot up before I left. It went in for mending, but I won't be holding my breath, as it was running xp.

I hope you get your XP back - it's a good operating system and I use it to run several old apps (and a scanner) that the newer Windows won't recognise. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John and Mick for giving it a go, I'm pleased you've made some progress on it. From what I can see, Bezier curves can be very powerful, and it's worth getting a handle on the - ha. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in a project, be it a vehicle or building, and muddle through instead of actually taking a step back and learning the best way of doing it. I'm guilty of that myself. My two sticking points back when I first started using a drawing package (Corel Draw, and Photoshop) were Bezier curves and layers. Crack those and my projects became much more streamlined.

Hi Siberian - Studio is actually pretty good. Like all software it has niggles, the only one I really had when drawing was the lack of layers and being able to lock down parts of the drawing - I'm afraid I can be a bit hamfisted at times and move around objects by mistake. Andy G has done marvelous things in it.

cheers

Jason.

• RMweb Premium

I hope you get your XP back - it's a good operating system and I use it to run several old apps (and a scanner) that the newer Windows won't recognise.

I had a message yesterday evening to tell me that its terminal, so now I really have to get me head around some new software. Having found the Silhouette to be really useful for acurate cutting.