BRM - January 2014

SteveCole

• Administrators

I still can't buy the digital version - it has no price listed so iTunes keeps failing the payment

David

Hi David,

I'm looking into this for you. Many people have downloaded this issue already, but I've just had the same problem as you. I'll update you ASAP...

Steve

• Administrators

I still can't buy the digital version - it has no price listed so iTunes keeps failing the payment

David

Hi David,

It's working now. Apologies for the delay.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve, 

I must give you and your BRM colleagues top marks for at least taking the effort to reply and trying to tempt me into buying your magazine. I have looked through the contents as listed by yourself above, I have viewed the promo video and there is nothing that tempts me except ironically what is contained in the "Free" supplement on building your first layout. Even this is a perverse interest because I have no need for the information therein but being well versed in electrical matters I would be interested in what the articles are proliferating. I usually find that the writers of these articles have no idea about electrical matters and are usually vague in their guidance. 

So thank you very much Steve but I think on this occasion I will not be accepting your offer. However, if I do go into WH Smith I will see if their is a "perusable" copy and may reconsider my decision.

BTW one thing, which is out of your hands, but never the less is pertinent is that for me to go to WH Smith I have to park at the shopping Mall and pay a minimum £2.50 parking which puts up the cost of you magazine to £6.25.

Cheers

Godders

As the digital version has been debugged is it worth considering?   

As the digital version has been debugged is it worth considering?   

No, as I explained there is nothing of real interest except the free supplement electrics and I have reallocated this months allowance to Modern Railways and MRJ. Perhaps next month and I may well try the electronic version.

Cheers

Godders

' BTW one thing, which is out of your hands, but never the less is pertinent is that for me to go to WH Smith I have to park at the shopping Mall and pay a minimum £2.50 parking which puts up the cost of you magazine to £6.25.'

If you're this strapped for cash I'm happy to lend you a horse: no ticket required. As long as you don't insist on debagging him as well before riding him.

• RMweb Gold

Another good issue, the 4f article in particle was very well done.

Question re the digital issue

Was there any additional photos to click on this month?

I am definitely more impressed with the digital issue now I a viewing on an iPad rather than the laptop / phone. The interface just works so much better!

The only thing now is that i wish all my paper copies were digital!

Also a suggestion,

It might be a good idea to link up the photos on the track plan so that a click takes you to the actual photo.

' BTW one thing, which is out of your hands, but never the less is pertinent is that for me to go to WH Smith I have to park at the shopping Mall and pay a minimum £2.50 parking which puts up the cost of you magazine to £6.25.'

If you're this strapped for cash I'm happy to lend you a horse: no ticket required. As long as you don't insist on debagging him as well before riding him.

Thank you for your kind offer. I'll collect him on my Christmas trip back home to The West Riding in a couple of weeks. Is he good for the Hunt or just Hacking.

Cheers

Godders

• Administrators

BTW one thing, which is out of your hands, but never the less is pertinent is that for me to go to WH Smith I have to park at the shopping Mall and pay a minimum £2.50 parking which puts up the cost of you magazine to £6.25.

Cheers

Godders

Stricktly speaking, if you are adding costs to the price of the mag then according to the AA* you need to include 60p per mile travelling in a car. So, assuming a 10 mile round trip, it's costing you £3.10 just to touch a copy.

With the total price, IF you buy it, coming to £6.85, should you want 6 issues or more a year, the annual subscrition works out much cheaper AND you get a free gift.

More to the point, even if you don't buy a single issue but make a trip in to town each month to have a look, you still end up a few pence and a free gift better off just from the saving in motoring costs by taking out a sub and throwing it in the recycling box every time.

Phil

*Costs based on a petrol car with a purchase price of £13K-£18K and an annual mileage or 10K.

Stricktly speaking, if you are adding costs to the price of the mag then according to the AA* you need to include 60p per mile travelling in a car. So, assuming a 10 mile round trip, it's costing you £3.10 just to touch a copy.

With the total price, IF you buy it, coming to £6.85, should you want 6 issues or more a year, the annual subscrition works out much cheaper AND you get a free gift.

More to the point, even if you don't buy a single issue but make a trip in to town each month to have a look, you still end up a few pence and a free gift better off just from the saving in motoring costs by taking out a sub and throwing it in the recycling box every time.

Phil

*Costs based on a petrol car with a purchase price of £13K-£18K and an annual mileage or 10K.

I know I should have included the car but I was trying avoid the trap that you fell into, the lack of arithmetic skills. 

10 miles @ 60p per mile = £6.00

parking                           = £2.50

sub-total = £8.50

magazine                       = £3.75

Total                              = £12.25

However I didn't want the magazine, I can't "touch it", it's in a plastic bag, the round trip is 2 miles and the pence per mile would have to be based on a Bentley Mulsanne 6.75 V8 which I can't find in the AA references and finally I don't want a free gift.

Bye Bye orf to ride my Hunter

Cheers Godders

PS some other impertinent chappie on here already upset me by saying I should get the Magazine from Sainsbury, the very thought of having to go in to Sainsbury is enough to ............

• Administrators

Don't fret, the January 2014 issue of BRM will be on-sale in shops tomorrow (Thursday, December 12th) and comes with two FREE gifts: A 2014 Hornby Calendar plus a 32-page magazine: The BRM Guide to... Building Your First Layout Part 1 (by Phil Parker).

It's a cracking issue with two great 'extras'. For more information, plus links to download the Digital Edition from just £2.49 (digital copies don't include the calendar) go to: www.model-railways-live.co.uk/magazine

post-14186-0-56602300-1386760735.jpg

• Administrators

Subs copy not arrived as yet; guess the Christmas post is slowing things down again...?!

David

Hi David,

I'm trying to find out what's happened. They have 100% gone out on time our end.

Thanks,

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

I'm trying to find out what's happened. They have 100% gone out on time our end.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve

It's ok I just called the Subs people and they're sending me out another copy - the original was sent on the 2nd so clearly someone in the chain fancied the 'extras' a bit too much; hope they enjoy it!!

Thanks for the help; great service as always

David

Postman has just been here and no subs copy arrived. Looks like post is crap in more than just my area then!!!!

Trevor.

Trevor

If you're a CV postcode then the deliveries haven't recovered from the Nuneaton sorting office c0ck-up. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-25152279

We're still suffering too, it seems

They are out there in the wild; mine's just hit the doormat, it would normally have been Mon or Tues but the posties around here seem preoccupied with delivering parcels we don't go 'real' shopping for these days.

• RMweb Gold

Next month; scratchbuilding brick walls with a how-to guide for banging one's head.

Can you tell me which brick bond you'll be recommending for head-banging on - I don't want to under or over-engineer the wall.

My subs copy arrived this morning.  Although I'm no aficionado of the 4F it looks like TW has had a good old go at the Bachmann one and I'm sure that the eight pages of material will include some wrinkle that can be applied by other modellers to other models!

I shall look forward to reading all about New Kinmundy too but its presence in BRM has prompted a thought.  Has there been a conscious editorial decision to de-emphasise RMweb?  Although several forum inmates have contributed to the magazine or are mentioned in despatches there are no references to their screen names.  This is particularly noticeable in the 2014 calendar where a high proportion of the layouts illustrated are the work of RMwebbers.

Chris 

Archived