Roco MultiMAUS

HSTcallum

If you want a MultiMaus handset to use as an extra cab/throttle on a Lenz system, that's all you need.

The complete MultiMaus system (i.e. MultiMaus Handset, Digital Amplifier, Transformer etc, ) is needed only if you want to operate it as a stand alone system.

Sorry if that wasn't clear from my earlier post (no 6 - 23rd Jan).

• 8 months later...

Sorry to wake this topic from the death...

But as I am thinking of starting a layout and starting digital after the absence of nearly 20 years, I am looking at different options.

The MultiMaus seems like a realy nice affordable option. It's either this or the Bachmann Dynamis.

Nice thing about the latter is that it's wireless, but I'm not blown away by the controller (as many others on this forum).

I have a bit of trouble finding if it is possible to add an extra handset on the MultiMaus set. I know for the Dynamis you need the pro box to add extra controllers (correct me if I'm wrong), but I can't find anywhere stating plain and simple if it is possible to add an extra controller to the MultiMaus set. I can find things about master and slave, but does that mean you can have two handsets on one system, one being the master and the other the slave or does that mean something completely different...

I love to hear it if anybody knows or is using two (or more if possible) MultiMause controllers.

Many thanks,

Edwin

• RMweb Gold

You can use two handsets on the MultiMaus.

I haven't done it yet but it is on my list of things to do when I spot a spare handset going for a reasonable rate on ebay.

AFAIK You can also use two or more handsets on the Dynamis without having the Probox but you won't get the extra features that the Probox provides. One added benefit of having 2 handsets without the Probox is that each handset can have a different set of locos (up to 40?) registered to it.

If you are using the MultiMaus system (handset in a 10764 booster) then it is perfectly possible to connect a second handset to the slave socket.

As a slave you can either use a second MultiMaus or a cheaper LokMaus or LokMaus II.

I currently have a couple of MultiMaus sets & Lokmaus II handsets which are my backup exhibition controllers as well as being extra throttles when used in conjunction with my Lenz setup.

I rate them very highly despite the inability to readback CV values.

I have two Multimauses (multimice ?) and two Lokmaus2 handsets to use as slaves. Bought one from a friend after my son spent the first Taunton mambers day using it, picked up one Lok from the wanted adds here and one from ebay. My second was from a set I bought off of ebay, the cheapest way to buy new. My layout is 20'x10' and I found I needed a booster, £115 from Gaugemaster. I have had the occaissional Hornby and Bachmann decoder which won't reprogramme on it along with all TCS decoders I have. I have a select to fall back on for this. Overall I would recommend them. I like the feel of it and it has a gentle off position between forwards and reverse. I don't use it for switching points, just loco control.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting topic. I have Lenz Set100, am I correct in my understanding that the Roco Multimaus (red ?10810)) controller will plug straight into the same socket as the Lenz 100 controller? I have seen pictures of said Mulimaus controller and would like to know if anyone who has changed could offer a comparison or what would be the advantages of buying a Multimaus to replace my 100 handset? Not trying to hijack thread as my question seems to be along the general thread

I have just been looking at the Multimaus, how does it compare to the NCE pwercab?

It's not that straightforward to compare the MultiMaus with the PowerCab, because they are quite different in concept and are sold at different price points.

MultiMaus.

The MultiMaus is an entry level product, designed primarily as a train-set system for Roco Start Sets. As such it lacks a few of the features that a full scale DCC system would normally have.

Having said that, it's a reasonably well specified product and the throttle is ergonomically up there with the best handhelds.

I don't have the figures immediately to hand, but IIRC power output is in the 2.4 to 3 amp range?

Like all entry level systems, it lacks a dedicated programming track output and the ability to read back CV's.

I believe there is also a significant limitation on consisting too.

(note: Programming track, reading back CV's and full consisting are included on the more expensive wireless MultiMaus Pro system.)

Limited to two throttles, but by extending the system, you can have up to 31.

The system has a library (stack memory) that allows up to 64 locos to be stored. These are accessed by quickly scrolling through the list and clicking on the one you want to select.

Each entry in the library can be assigned a 5 letter name (in letters or numbers); so you can identify locos or trains by a name or running number (e.g. 5 digit TOPS number)

PowerCab.

The PowerCab is designed as a lead-in to the more expensive PowerPro, NCE's full system.

Although very capable in its own right, the system is positioned to entice purchasers into the NCE camp if they can't afford, or are unsure of spending a large amount of money and committing to one particular brand.

The benefit for would-be customers, is that they get a very well featured system for the price and the option to upgrade gradually as and when they need, or can afford to.

The benefit for NCE is that they capture a customer who will quite likely upgrade at some point in the future (spend more money); and may well have been lost to the opposition otherwise.

NCE have designed the PowerCab to be fully incorporated into the full system if one chooses to upgrade and as such the handset contains all the functionality of the full system's handset.

However, several features are either not included, or are "restricted" in this cut down version, for example.....

Low power output (1.7 to 2 amps??) ......understandable as the Command Station and tiny Booster are incorporated in the handset itself, rather than in a separate system box,

Recall stack limited to 2 locos .....probably set deliberately low !!!!

No separate programming track output ..... however an add-on module can be purchased that automatically detects and switches between track and programming track,

Limited to two throttles .... upgrade path needs to be pursued to increase this number.

Both these systems lack a computer interface, but both have an add-on available.

Another significant difference is the price. These two products are in different price bands.

The PowerCab costs around £130.

The MultiMaus is harder to pin down at UK prices, as it's not normally sold separately over here. However it can be obtained for around £70 to £90 over the internet, as a "split from Start Set" item. Just a little over 2 thirds price compared to the PowerCab.

One consideration that should be taken into account is where do you intend or expect to go with either of these systems in future?

The expansion and upgrade paths are quite different.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that summary Ron - very helpful. I too have been wondering about the PowerCab or Multimaus and whether to go down the NCE route (or to go for the Lenz 100 route). I know the systems are not all equal, but I quitel like the idea of the bits and pieces NCE upgrade route rather than having to splash out all at once (particularly as I don't have a large layout at the moment!).

Cheers, Mike

Pete, my guess would be yes. I know that SRman does/did just that when demo'ing at exhibitions. The Zephyr is about that power out put and I had 3 loco's running (admittedly with out sound) years ago. I think it would suit your power requirements at the moment!

seasons greetings

Would the 2 amps from the powercab be enough for running one or two sound locos with say three more ticking over?

I wouldn't know the definitive answer to that one Peter, as I don't yet have any sound fitted locos and am not familiar with their power requirements; although I am aware that they have a higher maximum power demand on your system.

I guess you would be alright with just a few sucking on the layout and only a couple being driven at any one time. Others will have a better understanding of this than me.

It may be rather academic though, as you'll probably end up spending the extra money on the 5 amp SmartBooster (£105) or going the whole Hog and buying a PowerHouse Pro (....just as the manufacturer intended wink.gif).

Yep, What Mike said, thanks Ron.:D Would the 2 amps from the powercab be enough for running one or two sound locos with say three more ticking over?

Short answer = Yes.

Longer more descriptive answer follows :)

At the back end of last week I went over to a friend's layout to tryout my newly sound fitted Bachmann 37...

Just for the wonderment(!) we started up four loksound 3.5 equipped locos and left them on tickover...

Bachmann 20 - Howes,

Bachmann 24 - Bachmann,

Hornby 08 - Howes,

Bachmann 108 - Howes - which also has another non-sound decoder for the lights.

Then....

We started up my Bachmann 37 (with Bachmann sound) and pottered around the yard with no issues at all.

Each loco takes around 0.3 of an amp, a bit less when stationary.

One caveat = Heljan motors are notoriously current thirsty taking typically up to 0.75 amp/loco.

-Rob

• 2 months later...

Waking up the topic again...

Keep reading trough this topic and still in doubt about the system for my (still to be build) layout.

Even though the Multimaus seems to be slightly cheaper on ebay than the Dynamis E-Z Command from Dynamis, the thought of it being wireless is quite nice as well (saves having to cross over and crawl under wires when we are operating the layout with two persons). But than again the NCE Powercab sounds like a slightly dearer, but perhaps better option... We'll keep an eye on that as well.

But anyway, regardless which way we go. I was wondering if it is possible to run double-headed trains with the Multimaus. And not only running them, but is it possible to 'connect' and 'disconnect' two separate locos on the layout.

Therefore make it possible to have a train come in with two locos, one of them uncoupling running off to the shed (waiting for a train to depart with) and the other one staying on the train. And vice versa, a train coming in with only one loco, with the next one coming off shed to give the first one some assistance in pulling the train. So, in other words, is it possible to have two locos with two decoder addresses joining up on the layout and is it possible to split one loco from a double-headed train?

I hope I made myself clear enough...

Hello Butler,

Thanks for your reply.

Does that mean you can not do double-heading at all with the basic multimaus?

I know that is what you just said, but can you not set two locomotives to drive simultaneously at the same speed or something..

One of the reasons for going DCC was to be able to do double-headed long trains, so by the sound of this seems like the Multimaus is off.

(but than again; do the Dynamis E-Z Command or the NCE powercab support double-heading?)

The PowerCab definitely supports 'consisting' or double heading as we call it. It is best if the chips in the locos support 'advanced consisting'.

You can, say bring a train in with a double header on, and bring it to a stand and add another loco to it quickly and simply, or just as easily remove a loco from the front and drive it away on shed.

The PowerCab, being developed in the states where multiple locos on a train are the norm, makes it very easy to setup 'multi header' trains.

-Rob

ps I do have a Multimaus, and love it to bits, but the Powercab is just so much better in this regard, I do however prefer my Multimaus on a single loco shunting plank type layout.

Hi,

Before you buy the Dynamis, try it within the same conditions that you intend to use. It is wireless but relies on infra red signals to communicate with the base station and in most situations such as continuous layouts, that is a real problem. The manufacturer of the Dynamis - ESU - sell their own version of Dynamis outside the UK but it uses radio to communicate however it is NOT approved by the GPO and cannot be sold (or used) in the UK. Please note that, the Multimaus II is also wireless and relies on radio to communicate and the spec is very good but it is stunningly expensive at over four times the price of the Multimaus I.

Consisting (double-heading) is possible on both versions of the Multimaus and the inability to read back the CV is not a big as problem as some would have you believe, just follow the instructions.

The Powercab is a good setup and is a favourite of one well-known dealer who recommends the NCE system on his website but it must be remembered that a dealer will always recommend what he sells and the best way to find out if you are comfortable with a system is first hand use.

JZ only bought his system after he tried using my Multimaus and he seems pleased, in fact he bought a couple more as a result.

I have used my MultiMaus since they were introduced and I use Bachmann 36-553 decoders as a good solid performing product, I have never found fault in either.

DesA

Archived