Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

11 hours ago, drduncan said:

You can always rely on Rich!

Duncan

thanks @drduncan for the vote of confidence. I’m removing the contents from another bottle if anyone else has need. Stephen is extra fortunate that I work not very far away from where he lives and I was able to drop it off too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What about us 0 gaugers I cannot afford a Magnum  of Champange or whatever is needed for the size

Great modelling as usual Chris and I did laugh at one or two bits. 

Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 29/08/2020 at 18:44, richbrummitt said:

thanks @drduncan for the vote of confidence. I’m removing the contents from another bottle if anyone else has need. Stephen is extra fortunate that I work not very far away from where he lives and I was able to drop it off too.

I’m more interested in being given the contents rather than an empty vessel in case I get accused of making the most sound....

DrD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donw said:

What about us 0 gaugers I cannot afford a Magnum  of Champange or whatever is needed for the size

The best thing about O gauge is the amount of space for sound chips and speakers. Don’t expect us to feel bad for you. Other wine is available in magnum (and larger bottles also). The problem is going to more the available straight length; the linear sizes go up much more slowly than the volume. 

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Drainpipe? But don't drink the contents.

but possibly not the modern plastic stuff

1 hour ago, drduncan said:

I’m more interested in being given the contents rather than an empty vessel in case I get accused of making the most sound....

DrD

Don’t look at me. I can tell you where you can get your own if you’re into 10yo. Tawny Port? It is rather tasty. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I suppose I ought to post something to make it look as though I am doing some modelling.  We went away last week to North Wales, to celebrate the fact that we went there together for the first time forty years ago on our honeymoon. ( I still need to finish off the representation of our honeymoon cottage, but more of that, if anything happens in another post.)  We stayed in on a farm in a cottage with the name of Beudy Bach.  How romantic.  To save you looking up Google translate, it means, Small Cowshed.  It had, fortunately been modernised.

So before I went I packed up my modelling, plus some old projects and took it all away never to touch it until I packed it back in the car to come home.  So this is pre holiday.

I went and paid a visit to 'Rugs R Us'.

999583494_Rugs1.jpg.8027404cf1733cacd1b2fcc39d224611.jpg

I googled 'blue' rugs' and these are the main ones that came up looking from above.  I need one for the MSLR tricomposite, two for the LBSCR Saloon, although they may be both the same, and probably one for the GWR First, but I need to check on that.

Having saved an image I then pasted it into Paint and then Word.  I found that it was 376 pixels wide for 10 cm.  I then calculated how many pixels I needed for the width between the seats and the length along the floor.  The top row is the trial row.  I always like to do things in stages.  The difference in widths is the difference in compartment size.  Having printed them out I cut out the correct width ones and tried them out.

1060260387_Rugs2.jpg.109530be2c1ca03197af62699cbcaf78.jpg

This is the First Class compartment of the tricomposite.  You will notice that it is now painted.  (Yes I know it needs touching up.)  The blue is Humbrol 25, which is not quite right and the wood is Humbrol Middle Stone, 225.  The carpet is not quite long enough but close enough I think.  I then tried another one.  (No expense spared, eh?)

1263783004_Rugs3.jpg.479cb17e4fb5996dad01f885223ed81d.jpg

Someone will say. 'Those colours really clash.'  Do they, I have no idea.  So if you were a director of the MSLR, or Carriage and Wagon, Superintendent, or whoever buys carpets for First Class compartments, which would you choose?  Or would you choose something completely different.  (The other blue one is going in the LBSCR Saloon.)

So, not a lot, but it kept me amused for a little while.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations on the anniversary Chris!

15 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Small Cowshed

Any bright stars in the sky?  Well why not, it's not a far step from a carpenter in Judea to a railway modeller in Wales.

Anyway, very smart coach interior. Can't recall seeing so much attention paid to carpets before. I think the red looks best from a personal perspective (because of the contrast), but agree that the company may have preferred a matching carpet. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, NCB said:

Such dedication! I always use black on the grounds that you can't really see it. The blue blends in better but do you want it to blend in?

I googled GWR coach carpet and came up with:

http://www.gw-svr-a.org.uk/6045-restoration.html

So looks like the GWR went for matching colours.

Nigel,

Thank you.  It saves me looking.  It is an interesting question about do I want it to blend in.  In this photo of the restoration it is a white colour which I find a bit strange so I went for blue.  I try not t fix the roofs down, which is harder the longer the coach but work really well in 009, so the inside can be visible.  Once the roof is on not much can be seen inside, I agree.  

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Congratulations on the anniversary Chris!

Any bright stars in the sky?  Well why not, it's not a far step from a carpenter in Judea to a railway modeller in Wales.

Anyway, very smart coach interior. Can't recall seeing so much attention paid to carpets before. I think the red looks best from a personal perspective (because of the contrast), but agree that the company may have preferred a matching carpet. 

Mikkel,

No, no bright stars in the sky, not that I looked.

I think I like the red one but probably will go with the blue as blue appears to be the MSLR First Class colour.  You can just image the conversation on the platform.

She:  "Is that not the Compartment dear?"

He:  "No, the colour is all wrong, it is red, not blue."

She: But it says ;First' on the door?"

He: (patiently): "It may well do but the colour is wrong.  Perhaps we have the wrong coach.  The GWR use red."

She:  "But it says MSLR on the carriage side."

He:  "Typical GWR ploy to tempt in unwary passengers."

She:  "Well, I am getting on anyway."

He:  "You have not got your ticket."

She:  "Quick, pass it through the window."

He:  "Do not blame me when you are lost!"

She:  No, I will just write when I get there and you can come and find me.  Bye."

He: (Waving to the moving train) :  "Yes, leave me to sort out the mess.  Still, if it was the right compartment at least I have got out of going to her mothers."

The really boring bit is that all the carpets will probably be the same for each company.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Very good Chris :D. I know a modern version of that. It begins:

She: "Is that not the turn-off to IKEA dear?"

He: "No, that will be the next one. Oh, looks like you were right. Too late now I'm afraid."

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Things have been happening, but not always towards the MLSR 4 wheeler.  As ever I have been doing things alongside the coach, although this is again from before holiday.

A while ago, in fact too long ago, @Anotheran  suggested that I should attempt to model a figure with a beard.  Not just a the usual beards that appear on Andy Stadden's figures but the much larger beards that were popular in the victorian period even if they were 10, or 15 years before 1895.  Beards as seen here.  Now I did rise to the challenge but nothing was ever posted, but let me introduce you to somebody.

Farmer.jpg.24ecd4a8253963bb05aa035805133f60.jpg

I am not sure of his name as he only speaks Welsh, but Mr Price has told me he is a farmer who has come of the goods train from Portmadoc, well his sheep have.  He is just about to drive his sheep up Station Road towards the market as fast as he can as it is well after 11 o'clock and the market has been in full swing for over two hours.  Why he has come to Traeth Mawr market I do not know but I do know he will get entangled in the parade that is proceeding in the opposite direction.  I am also not sure where he gets his sartorial sense from, it has nothing to do with me, honest.   :)

The beard was made with Miliput.  No, I did not just mix a little bit, I made lots and did several things, probably giving ladies dresses of the correct length among other things.  I then gave it a grey wash with paint I was thinning to clean a brush.  It looks white but it is a bit grey.  I then put him aside as I was not very impressed with my efforts.  It is just a bit too orderly, but I am encouraged that in the photo there are a couple like that and one does not have a large moustache.  So, he stood about aimlessly, talking to other figures in half finished states.  I have kept on looking at him and to be honest the beard, (wait for it!), has grown on me.  (Groan.)  No seriously, it has.  As a side project, I have been trying to finish and catalogue the figures I know from Traeth Mawr and put them in the holding box.  Looking at the figures I picked him up again and used washes from when I had painted something else to finish him off.  (I think the blue waistcoat was from when I started.  He is not well illuminated from all sides I am afraid but at least his beard is obvious.

1952215929_Farmer1.jpg.491ebaf1c29b4465922cfcad7c7f7449.jpg

Now here he is again, with one of his sheep.  I was advised that Welsh hill sheep of 1895 for a 4mm layout ought to be 3mm to the foot.  This is a Preiser TT sheep, and he has a few friends.  The dog is also TT so is too small but is there for a question.  What sort of dog would a Welsh Farmer have had in 1895?  The farm we were on which had sheep as well as cattle had three dogs that were not quite collies, but near enough.  Would they have had similar 100 years ago?

Finally:-

Fittings.jpg.31f9f0821f99ab9cdf8aada37be61106.jpg

The fittings I have have been glued onto the loco.  Am I correct in thinking that Holly Green was the Wolverhampton colour for this loco?

If you have been, thanks for looking.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Donw said:

Try this for some comments on the Welsh Sheepdog (note not the collie) https://www.dogzone.com/breeds/welsh-sheepdog/

Yes Holly Green was the Wolverhampton colour what the shade was seems to be rather debatable.

Don

Don,

Thank you.  That one looks like the ones on the farm we stayed at.

• RMweb Gold

That beard is very nicely modelled Chris. It simply shouts 'Victorian era'. 

In fact, for accurate representation we railway modellers ought to pay as much attention to beard styles as we do to the rivet courses on a saddle tank :)

Wolverhampton livery would be nice. Your period is 1895 IIRC. I see that according to Slinn the livery officially ended in 1894, but that locomotive continued to be turned out in this style until 1902. 

I see the dome has now been rubbed down, what a difference it makes already!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

That beard is very nicely modelled Chris. It simply shouts 'Victorian era'. 

In fact, for accurate representation we railway modellers ought to pay as much attention to beard styles as we do to the rivet courses on a saddle tank :)

Wolverhampton livery would be nice. Your period is 1895 IIRC. I see that according to Slinn the livery officially ended in 1894, but that locomotive continued to be turned out in this style until 1902. 

I see the dome has now been rubbed down, what a difference it makes already!

Mikkel,

Thank you.  There are a number of different styles of the 'large beard', which is why I was not sure about this at first.  The others tended to be flat at the bottom, divided, and thin and straggly.  I think they were going out of fashion by 1895 so one here is probably enough, but if I ever get to do the 009 layout it will have a market scene with lots of people and a few more there would not be out of place.

Yes beards and clothing are important for scene setting.  My trouble is that I probably know more about the clothes than the railways!

I have a green that should be near Holly Green but when it is done you can make comments.  However, Mr Price has seen the actual colour and will, well probably be, maybe, the final arbiter.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Something like this for a Wolverhampton loco?

CA4B15B0-7372-4D55-BDDB-0E5194ED1098.jpeg.8511d275818aa5bf2e17550c8c26d187.jpeg

Beautiful!  Where is the image from?

I am still not sure my chimney is tall enough.  I have a Humbrol paint which was quoted on the site @MikeOxon used for Holly Green as not being too far different from what is being used today on GWR which they claim to be original, so we shall see.

• RMweb Premium

Mind, that’s an 850 class, a smaller loco with a taller chimney than the ones you’re modelling. The picture is from the Lee Marsh Models site, they’re an O scale manufacturer who do meticulous craftsmanship with rtr models, but I’m afraid the prices make my eyes water, I’d need to come up big time on the lottery. It’s posed in a diorama, part of the old Bristol Temple Meads Station sectioned down the middle, that turns up at O shows.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Northroader said:

It’s posed in a diorama, part of the old Bristol Temple Meads Station sectioned down the middle, that turns up at O shows.

... and always with Great Western stock, although I understand the original Brunel train shed was used by terminating Midland trains!

EDIT: That said, all the photos I can find of Midland trains at Bristol were taken in the new station.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I feel your pain, the old cameras wouldn’t manage the exposures under the roof, I suppose:

67FBDAE6-C825-41E3-A408-BD8742788DE1.jpeg.ed1e5888987e04c64b3da9282e844c97.jpeg

The diorama, I find, was made by Bambrick studios, and you’ll have to go to Japan to see it now. Here it is with a train of——- yes, MSLR coaches.

6D64A4DF-0CEA-4A63-8D96-49B1060462D4.jpeg.411a77fda301d6debdb5d966f0d87aac.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Beautiful!  Where is the image from?

I am still not sure my chimney is tall enough.  I have a Humbrol paint which was quoted on the site @MikeOxon used for Holly Green as not being too far different from what is being used today on GWR which they claim to be original, so we shall see.

Noting that I've been quoted: the paint I used to represent 'Wolverhampton' green was Rustoleum 'Painters Touch' Dark Green see https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/15571-a-new-old-engine-gwr-184-part-9/ , which is a water-based acrylic paint.  I now feel that it is a little too light and have started to add some black to get a darker shade.

I wrote more about 'Holly Green' in the context of GWR Broad-gauge locomotives at https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/22847-a-matter-of-colour/ where I specuated that 'Wolverhampton' green may have been closer to Broad gauge green than has previously been suggested.

Whatever you choose, no-one is likely to know any better except, of course, for Mr Price.

Mike

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

Noting that I've been quoted: the paint I used to represent 'Wolverhampton' green was Rustoleum 'Painters Touch' Dark Green see https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/15571-a-new-old-engine-gwr-184-part-9/ , which is a water-based acrylic paint.  I now feel that it is a little too light and have started to add some black to get a darker shade.

I wrote more about 'Holly Green' in the context of GWR Broad-gauge locomotives at https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/22847-a-matter-of-colour/ where I specuated that 'Wolverhampton' green may have been closer to Broad gauge green than has previously been suggested.

Whatever you choose, no-one is likely to know any better except, of course, for Mr Price.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I have followed what you have written and gone back to it to try and find an appropriate colour.  In the end through the Encycolorpedia site I have come up with a Humbrol colour which it seems to say is not much different from Holly Green.  We shall see.  I seem to be doing a lot of painting recently but not on the projects you would expect.

• Like 1