Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Premium

In retrospect I agree that in all probability the coal would have come via the coal merchant and been delivered by him.

I don't know enough about the coal trade to know whether the coal merchant would have sourced the anthracite.

So wagons for the house coal colliery and the anthracite colliery needed if the coal merchant does not own one.

If you want one for Mr Parry you could do what I am experimenting with and print the wagon side on a decal sheet. I'll be posting something on the Nentcwmdu thread when I have taken some photos. (Not my idea, suggested to me by another Welsh modeller.)

Jonathan

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Firstly, I have to say that I have ordered a 517, just the one.  The red framed version, 832 I think the number is.  I have wanted a 517, so this is an easy way to get one.  Unfortunately, 832 is a London engine at the end of the 19th century, and the make things worse, the only 517 in North Wales at the time was based at Bala.  However, it will appear late in the day instead of the 645, or even, If I m as quick doing locos as everything else, it may be in charge of at least some of the Dolgelley trains that do not run through to Ruabon.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I have been doing a little modelling.  I am supposed to be making windows for Mr Price's house, but I have not been too well recently and when I had some time to do some modelling I wanted something where I did not have to think too much.  Added to that, Tony, @brumtb, has just got a book on Siphons, and although I am progressing the two I have, very slowly, I thought I would try and finish them.

006Roof.jpg.14c9658850bec9224a4902f470c5678d.jpg

This is the last image I have shown with the roof on, and painted with shellac.  I have not been very diligent about taking pictures, but I do not think I have missed too much out.

007Springs.jpg.896d36a32c298a24ebbef6cca7e6cea3.jpg

These are the springs that came with the kit, and in the top left is a Dart Castings' spring.  Notice the size difference.  I had laminated them all, but as you see there are only five.  This is because they were too flimsy to put in after I had put the W irons in place.  If I made one again I might just try and put them in at the same time as the W irons.

008Springsinplace.jpg.2d26b2c876daaead8a46bd590b2478b4.jpg

The view from Underneath.  You can see that the whitemetal springs do not really fit, so the paper ones would have been flat, but would have to go in at the same time as there is no room between the W irons and the edge of the MDF base.  I had to cut the whitemetal springs to fit over the edge and around the W irons.  I have also trimmed, at @Mikkel's suggestion the brakes, and have only broken one of them.  This was carefully put aside in a container with useful bits to be firmly fixed at the next modelling session.  Before the modelling session I was asked to tidy my modelling desk as we had visitors and yes, it has been put somewhere safe.  When I find it, I will fix it in place.  I have also put in a vacuum brake cylinder.  I drilled a hole and pushed the Dart Castings cylinder into it, fixing it, like the springs, with superglue.

009Springsdone.jpg.1ea0a50d56a5cf3611889383cbca9f49.jpg

All the springs in place.  I have used my patent six wheel system which is a variant of the MJT six wheel wagon system.  It might have been better, to remove the W irons for the central wheel from its holder as it raises the central wheel up a fraction.  When I got this far I tried it on the layout and found that on the point leaving the fiddle yard when the point was set at the smallest radius. it derailed.  I checked and the siphon rocked with the central wheel as pivot.  The W iron support, I noticed was higher in the centre, and was raising the wire that keeps the central axis in place.  I filed down the central part and now it seems to be fine.  If it is not, then I shall have to take more drastic action, but probably behind closed doors.  Next time, the central axis will just have W irons.

010Stepboard.jpg.2c3d1e1461c69b83c2663439928661a3.jpg

Finally, I have fitted the top stepboards, I think that is what they are called.  10 x 125 thou Evergreen strips, firstly stuck in place with PVA, then superglued when the PVA was dry.  The lower stepboards next, for, perhaps, the next time.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1