Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Finally beginning to see the end of the shed project..........

Four photos of its first fitting on site - some carving of the floor required as the new shed is smaller than its Metcalfe predecessor.

Also a slight slewing of one of the tracks, but it looks all right until you try to move a loco inside...............

Doors had a layer of plastikard planking added inside and out, plus better strengthening planking on the inside, then a bit of weathering to give the impression of age.

Guttering from corn flake packet, with down pipes from florist's wire, (courtesy of my understanding better half), held in place by twisted thin wire inserted into holes bored through the shed walls.

The biggest pain in the neck were the roofs on the smoke stacks, but they just about pass muster, I think.

post-21954-0-77343700-1423173734_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-07260200-1423173764_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-48916000-1423173784_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-45575800-1423173803_thumb.jpg

The little Lambie 2F was acquired many years ago, and I keep meaning to repaint it in mucky black BR livery - one of these days!

The JCB will need to be summoned to dig out the foundations to get the shed properly set in place, then what next???

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken, looks excellent on the layout. Your modelling is really neat. Another question on Arbroath shed complex - do you know anything about the water tower? What pattern would have been on the tank? Might it have been like that on the Far North layout? What colours might it have been? Would the building have been of brick?

How big is your loft? You seem to have crammed an awful lot in there!

Regards again Les

Hi Ken, looks excellent on the layout. Your modelling is really neat. Another question on Arbroath shed complex - do you know anything about the water tower? What pattern would have been on the tank? Might it have been like that on the Far North layout? What colours might it have been? Would the building have been of brick?

How big is your loft? You seem to have crammed an awful lot in there!

Regards again Les

Hi Les

The water tower is illustrated in the Arbroath and Forfar Railway book, by Niall Fergoson and published by the Oakwoiod Press, (No.112), on page 174.

The tank was rectangular, two panels high, with a slightly sloping wooden roof, accessed by a ladder at the rear.

The plinth was two brick walls with stone or concrete pads on the top with a standard NBR water crane on the other side of the track leading to the turntable.

The tank panels look to have been flat on the outside but would have needed internal bracing for strength.

There wasn't much in the way of a coaling stage, as shown on the Geoge C. O'Hara's book of BR steam in Scotland at plate 29

There was a nice little brick built bothy along from the siding at the raer of the shed, and the two photos mentioned also show a sand drying shed at the entrance to the main shed.

As to the loft, it's about 18 x 14 feet, and there's a track plan on a previous page of this thread.

Kind regards

Ken

Thanks so much Ken. I'll be ordering that book today! I do have pictures already of the sand drying shed , one of which just shows the end of the bothy. Do you have a full picture of the bothy? Was it just a long single structure or was the roof stepped halfway?

I didn't know there was any coaling stage? Would they have just manually filled tender from a coal wagon? Excuse my ignorance!

Is the 'standard' NBR water crane the square topped one that you built or is it the round topped one I have seen elsewhere?

Regards Les

Edited by Les Johnson

Finally beginning to see the end of the shed project..........

The biggest pain in the neck were the roofs on the smoke stacks, but they just about pass muster, I think.

attachicon.gifshed on site 4.jpg

Ooh - you're doing yourself a disservice there, Ken. That looks lovely. Very distinctive and in keeping with your era / location. Great work :good:

Hi Les and LNER4479, and others!

Thanks for your kind comments - flattery will get you - to Arbroath.........

Here's a photo of the loco yard in 1973 with the edge of the turntable well still visible, and Nature beginning to take over.

post-21954-0-60193000-1424437549_thumb.jpg

When the shed was demolished, the inspection pits were filled with some of the debris.

As to coaling locos, I remember that day I took the photo that there was a fair bit of coal lying on the banking at the right hand side of the site, so there may have been a rudimentary platform in latter days, but I can't be sure.

Judging by the accumulations in the loop line beside the old goods shed in the main station goods yard, it looks as though the loco ashpans were emptied there, but I may be jumping to conclusions, (photo below).

post-21954-0-94596700-1424438114_thumb.jpg

(There's quite a lot of useful detail in the shot).

Here's a photo of the loco yard in 1973 with the edge of the turntable well still visible, and Nature beginning to take over.

attachicon.gifArbroath loco yard remains 1973.jpg

When the shed was demolished, the inspection pits were filled with some of the debris.

As to coaling locos, I remember that day I took the photo that there was a fair bit of coal lying on the banking at the right hand side of the site, so there may have been a rudimentary platform in latter days, but I can't be sure.

Judging by the accumulations in the loop line beside the old goods shed in the main station goods yard, it looks as though the loco ashpans were emptied there, but I may be jumping to conclusions, (photo below).

attachicon.gifArbroath Main Yard General View 1973.jpg

PS The water column is the square topped NBR standard type.

Ken, really sorry to bother you again, last time for a while! Promise! Can you just measure the Mike Models water column for me? Height without finial and diameter of column itself? I know you model in OO but I can convert to O and guesstimate the other bits? Sorry for being a pain!

Cheers Les

Hi Les

Here's a sketch drawing of the Mike's Models column with Imperial measurements of some of the parts.

I actually drew it to O gauge, but it probably won't print out to scale.

I have more of the measurements on the original drawing, if required.

post-21954-0-98332200-1424707787.jpeg

Hope this comes out when it's added to the post..........

Kind regards

Ken

Here's a photo of the goods shed in the main station goods yard, it looks as though the loco ashpans were emptied there, but I may be jumping to conclusions, (photo below).

attachicon.gifArbroath Main Yard General View 1973.jpg

Agreed - that's a cracking photo. A study in clutter, if ever I saw one (yet still looking spacious - very difficult to achieve on a compressed model but forever worth striving for).

Hi Ken, bought the Arbroath and Forfar book, made a start on the water tank and brick support. Hope I've read it correctly! Water column looks thinner than the NBR one. Could they have changed it at a later date? Also not being very au fais with signalling, would every junction in the shed yard be controlled with a ground signal?

Regards Les

Hi Ken, bought the Arbroath and Forfar book, made a start on the water tank and brick support. Hope I've read it correctly! Water column looks thinner than the NBR one. Could they have changed it at a later date? Also not being very au fais with signalling, would every junction in the shed yard be controlled with a ground signal?

Regards Les

Hi Les

I think the Mike's Models column is a bit on the thick side, and if I get round to doing the double column on the down platform, (which shares one stove), I will probably make it slightly thinner as I wouldn't have thought it would have been replaced - the NBR never had much money for improvements/replacements.

Mind you, it could always be distance that makes it look thinner, but I hae ma doots!

There is a copy of the, (very interesting), St Vigeans Junction signalling diagram on the net somewhere - I'll dig back and give you the web address if I can.

Kind regards

Ken

Regards Les

Hi again Les

The web address is http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/lmsr/M513.gif

Kind regards

Ken

Hi Ken, many thanks. I can't access that site but never mind, I'll take your word for it that there's only one ground disc. It will save me buying any more! With regard to the column, if the stove and the top 'box' (?) Are the same width as the column, that would explain it looking slimmer as nothing appears to jut out. Would the column face the track as in your platform photo?

Cheers Les

Hi Ken, many thanks. I can't access that site but never mind, I'll take your word for it that there's only one ground disc. It will save me buying any more! With regard to the column, if the stove and the top 'box' (?) Are the same width as the column, that would explain it looking slimmer as nothing appears to jut out. Would the column face the track as in your platform photo?

Cheers Les

Hi Les

I accessed the site through Google "St Vigeans Junction Signal Box Diagram" , which takes you into the SRS website.

Then go on via Caledonian Railway, and you'll fine the St V Junc diagram listed.

If you click on that, the diagram should be displayed.

Hope you get in that way.........

Re the water column, the water pipe generally faced the track being served, but it looks as though the one in the loco yard is parallel to the track, maybe to save space?

There appears to be no hard and fast rule.

Kind regards 

Ken

Thanks Ken, I got to it that way. There seems to have been a lot going on at that junction at one time?

Cheers Les

It must have been quite busy, I agree - traffic in and out of the loco yard, Forfar/Guthrie trains on the Caley line, Montrose/Aberdeen trains by the NBR and goods traffic to and from the old NBR North yard - and supplies to and from the factory sidings, (Alexander Shanks & Sons, Engineers).

Those were the days!

Ken

Hi Ken, do you have the Arbroath and Forfar book? If so would the signal cabin in the photo be similar to your Arbroath South box?

Cheers Les

Hi  Les

Funny you should say that, as I have put together 4 plastkard "kits," for the box I originally made as the South Box, before finding out that the actual South box was bigger, and the one currently named Arbroath South will be renamed as St Vigeans Junction and put there where the lines split on the approach to the north storage loops.

To cut this long story short, the St V Junc. Box is the same!

(The other kits will be made up and installed at Ladyloan Junc. at the south end of the layout; one to be named Hospitalfield Junc., to be put on the central part of the layout where a branch is to run up to a factory site a la Metal Box Co., and the third will be put on the far side where the "Dundee," line goes into a tunnel heading to the south loops).

Just for variety, a Caley design based on Colliston will be installed on the loop heading in the Forfar direction.

That just leaves the new NBR style south box to be cut out and assembled......

No rest for the wicked!

Kind regards

Ken

• Like 1