Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Honestly, I haven't been idle over the last few days as these pics will hopefully show.

Almost ready to install on the layout, but a few tweaks required which you don't notice until the camera gets its beady eye on to the details!

post-21954-0-51339600-1455486400_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-96253400-1455486421_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-80827000-1455486444_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, Keptie Street is ready for its latest bit of real estate, and of course I'll have to improve the detail around the site to help it to "bed in".

• Like 2

I had a walk down Keptie Street this morning and took this pic of the Swan Office Supplies building planted in position.

The white sheets in the background are outline drawings of a couple of the buildings in Dishlandtown Street which will need a bit of "flesh" added to help to complete the background.

post-21954-0-47177800-1455704127_thumb.jpg

The bus livery is a bit late for my period, but it looks quite well, and the lorry has lots of character.

I think the guys in the foreground are very pleased to see each other if the handshake is anything to go by........

• Like 2

Black and white man was out during the evening to view the latest Metcalfe conversions from low relief brick to full relief stone with brick extensions, ( my wife's suggestion).

For some reason the shop fronts are slightly narrower than the house backs - and a different height, and so a fair bit of carving and overlays had to be done to marry to front and rear halves up.

The buildings have only been temporarily planted to give an idea of the finished look, and the Station Hotel/Bar has to be drawn out and made to correctly complete the scene.

It just shows the lengths some folk go to to get away from the "kitsville" look of their layout!

post-21954-0-80097800-1456262674_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-76582800-1456262698_thumb.jpg

I ought to "retire" the very old Matchbox pickup, or put it somewhere less obtrusive......

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

fantastic modeling found this on the signalbox diagammes site could be of interest for you http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=599

The diagram is from 1978, and shows what remains of the original, without all the sidings, extra passenger platforms and the harbour branch.

I've produced a diagram of the "full" layout of the North Box, and it shows up on a previous page of this thread.

I'll check back and add the page no. shortly.

The diagram is from 1978, and shows what remains of the original, without all the sidings, extra passenger platforms and the harbour branch.

I've produced a diagram of the "full" layout of the North Box, and it shows up on a previous page of this thread.

I'll check back and add the page no. shortly.

The diagram is on page 3 of this thread - my take on it, but based on reliable info. from locals.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rmweb threads have gone strangely quiet over the last few weeks - is it something to do with Spring?

I've been reasonably active over that time, and the Station Hotel and Bar to be installed on Keptie Street opposite the station building is coming along quite well.

I took these shots of progress so far, taking advantage of some bright weather.....

They are self-explanatory and show the typical hotel/bar situation of having extensions repeatedly added over time.

post-21954-0-25010300-1458839627_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-74799900-1458839647_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-06827900-1458839670_thumb.jpg

It will be installed once it has been roofed and had its obligatory dormer windows added.

• Like 3

Just thought I'd add these pics of the "real" thing, showing how close it is to the railway, indeed the second pic is taken from beside the erstwhile Swan Office Supplies building across the south end of the station platforms.

The buildings look in need of a face-lift, but pubs. ain't doing that well these days with the smoking ban and tight drink-driving limits.

I should really go in some time for a dram and see the property from the inside..........

Although I've been making lots of models of licensed premises, it is only to replicate the surroundings of Arbroath railway station, and not due to any bad habits!

post-21954-0-30200700-1458860847_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-96529300-1458860870_thumb.jpg

I suspect I would have enjoyed a visit more when they still served  Jeffrey's.....

It seems to have been brewed at the Heriot Brewery in Edinburgh, but I don't have any personal recollections of seeing or drinking it. The Station Hotel/Bar shows up quite well in the shot of 60525 about to leave Arbroath in the Michael Welch book of Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen. A quite quick job on Word produced the advertising sign on the gable end, and the BAR sign above, plus the main nameboard on the front. Technology to the rescue again.......

Took a break off making the Station Bar dormer windows to take a peek at the old coal yard behind the North Signal box, by day and by night.

post-21954-0-46860300-1459335561_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-60884700-1459335587_thumb.jpg

And a shot from slightly further away looking south to the station approach.

post-21954-0-69769100-1459335657_thumb.jpg

Now to get back to those pesky windows!

• Like 5

First trial placing of the hotel/bar on Keptie Street - Wullie Spink is waiting for the bar to open, and our two friends across the road are still greeting each other....

Much work to do to bed the buildings in and trim the background sheet to complete the illusion that Keptie Street does actually go further.

post-21954-0-49625300-1459849679_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-98768700-1459849708_thumb.jpg

The view across the tracks, a bit tricky due to lighting conditions, and the huge new pressurised water tank getting in the way, but I could put a board in the way to cut off the unwanted bits.........

post-21954-0-82123400-1459849743_thumb.jpg

The street is beginning to look complete at last.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Having completed all the pubs around Arbroath Station (!), I've turned to the former chapel, (now converted into flats), forming the backdrop as you look east along Keptie St. As it's in the background, all that's required is a low relief front, so it didn't take too long to put together, but its proportions were quite difficult to get right, and what has arrived is an impression rather than an inch perfect miniature of the original.

Just to put my head in a noose, I'm attaching a photo of the building as it stands today, followed by two of the model before installation on the layout where it will be half-hidden behind some of the other buildings on Keptie Street, but should produce a convincing street scene.

post-21954-0-30181400-1460582873_thumb.jpg

The chapel was on the first floor with shops on the ground floor, currently occupied by "something spiritual," but I've given it to a local bespoke tailor, actually one of my Arbroath friends, who, I hope will forgive me...........

post-21954-0-85916400-1460582899_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-47989100-1460582920_thumb.jpg

We'll see how it looks in situ tomorrow.

• Like 3

A couple of pics this morning - I've been meaning to add the "John Menzies & Co Ltd" name to the station bookstall for ages, and finally got round to it this morning, having moved the platform canopy and main booking office out of the way to set up a shot of the nether regions of Keptie Street, showing how the chapel fits into its surroundings - next job is to complete the roadway up to the correct level...........

post-21954-0-52282300-1460716014_thumb.jpg

I should add a pretty shop assistant to serve the two gents in waiting.

post-21954-0-66200400-1460716083_thumb.jpg

I have some rolls of International Backscenes sky to fix along the back which should help.

• Like 2

Apart from the word 'Arbroath' in a couple of posts > #56 & #60 in the topic at  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40212-harbour-branches/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2276895

this posting doesn't relate to this one at all, however, it is Arbroath, and I hadn't realised how extensive the network was down by the Harbour....

The source of the 2 photo's is theshoppie.com, but you have to delve a bit to find these, they are in Derek's Arbroath photo's, number '7' in the 'Members Galleries' ... here .  My apologies if it's been mentioned before in this topic, I couldn't be bothered to trail all the way through to catch a cross reference.

Later next week I have a couple of cousins visiting me from Arbroath, I think they will be impressed with this Topic started by Aberbrothock, lot of memories from our childhood evoked here.   Especially waiting on Gravesend by the bridge over the stream for the Bus back to Inverkeilor - I'm sure it was there, though the road layouts seems to have changed a bit since the 1950's.  I have checked occasionally on my trips back there - mainly for funerals.

Edited by Penlan

I like the area you have created behind the coal drops but don't think I would go there after midnight !  The pub is very good and you should really go and sample the actual place as then you can check if the dimentions are correct .