Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Wow that is a work of art. 

Hi all you guys, (and gals?), out there - many thanks for the kind comments on the model of the late lamented Angus Bar.

It will be installed at the High Road Bridge part of the layout, overlooking the loco sheds and opposite the Fraser's factory buildings, kind of completing that area of the layout.

I'd like to build the big mill on Dens Road in whatever scale but my excuse is that my workbench isn't big enough......Sorry Les.

Apart from that, the Station Bar and the stationer's shop on Keptie Street are next on the "production line," and drawings have been done for the stationer's shop, occupied for a long time by Swan Office Supplies, and now by the West Port Dental Practice.

I'll attach photos of both buildings shortly - more dormer windows to be painstakingly measured and fabricated!

Here are the pics of the two properties mentioned in my last post - both of them still extant, so measuring/photographing is a bit easier.

Both buildings look quite innocuous from the front, but have very interesting/complicated rear profiles - ho hum!

post-21954-0-58499800-1444576571_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-73727700-1444576597_thumb.jpg

I also have older photos which show the changing paint schemes and ownership.

WIP no problem then...........

wouldnt say they look innocuous! The building on the left looks very interesting as a building and what about the 'services' within?

Strange you should be building yet another pub! Would you like to share anything with the group? Ha,ha

Les

The Dental Practice and Station Bar buildings are on either side of the bridge over the southbound platforms and I have room for them, but there really isn't enough room for the big 3 storey job on the left of the 1st photo, although it would be quite a challenge, with all the fancy window surrounds. (I do have photos of it, just in case....).  As to the "services" it's just a dry cleaner/laundry - there's nothing more exotic than that in old Aberbrothock!

Finally got far enough with the Angus Bar model to place it in position - will need to extend the baseboard edge to accommodate the new arrival methinks.

Three-quarters view looking down to the high road bridge.

post-21954-0-61573200-1444902764_thumb.jpg

Slightly aerial view showing how the building fits into the surrounding area.

post-21954-0-84540900-1444902796_thumb.jpg

The rear view with the nice outside stair - I know it should be curved, but this version was tricky enough, thank you!

post-21954-0-80671600-1444902821_thumb.jpg

A B & W view for those who like that sort of thing....

post-21954-0-65678600-1444902842_thumb.jpg

I need a break now!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Being a model RAILWAY there should be some action on the railway front, and so here's a preview of the new kid on the block - a CR 439 class tank.

It's a DJH kit purchased a couple of years (!) ago from Harburn Hobbies.

There were some issues during construction, like omissions from the blow by blow instructions - wheel balance weights, water tank fillers, and a few more, but with a reasonable knowledge of the prototype and access to the myriad of photos taken of the locos in service, good progress has been made.

I've taken a couple of shots in the loco yard beside my NBR C16, and with the pretty awful old Triang M7 in the background, so we'll see what you think of its general appearance. There's a lot of detailing still to do, but I thought I'd share these images if only to show I haven't been idle!

post-21954-0-78114500-1446203920_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-76002400-1446203943_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

looking good ,Ken. That's my next project! Im just about to order one in O from Alba Models. Hopefully it will just fall together, but I'm not holding my breath!

Hope you're well

Les

Thanks Les

Best of luck with your big brother/ sister loco, but I bet it doesn't just "fall together"!

Health not too bad, staying clear of colds/flu so far....

Ken

My 439 class is moving on apace and has posed for some more photos.

Firstly two before paint shop pics :-

post-21954-0-37511200-1446846287_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-90322800-1446846310_thumb.jpg

Just out of the paint shop - some tidying to be done and lining to be added :-

post-21954-0-48640600-1446846335_thumb.jpg

and a detail shot inside the cab - the SRPS video of 419 clattering down from Birkhill into Bo'ness was a great help.....

post-21954-0-92802500-1446846350.jpg

Nothing like digital close-ups to show the "naughty bits"!

• Like 2

Lining out a loco is so frustrating!

But - there's always the modeller's friend - a nice bit of judicious weathering in the places that need to be covered........

Coal added in bunker, now awaiting cab rear protection grilles from Mainly Trains, and a crew, to give a bit of life.

post-21954-0-50763700-1447159061_thumb.jpg

The bunker has a load of coal from a friend in Arbroath, so that's from the correct place then.

post-21954-0-40890600-1447159084_thumb.jpg

There's some nice daylight below the boiler and good light through the excellent wheels.

Must pose it on the layout so that any passing spotters can "cop" it.

Now where did I put my loco headlamps???

• Like 2

The new CR 044 has arrived at Arbroath..........

Of course it met its erstwhile companion NBR C12 442 tank 67502 while crossing from the up to the down line.

Here are 3 shots of the event.

post-21954-0-10061400-1447585425_thumb.jpg

The ex-Forfar train's driver is keeping a sharp lookout as his train negotiates the scissors crossover.

post-21954-0-76499000-1447585448_thumb.jpg

The sun is catching the top of the 044's side tanks.......

post-21954-0-60328400-1447585475_thumb.jpg

The regular visitor Briggs tank wagon has been shunted by 46464,(Carmyllie Pilot), in the main yard.

Yes, folks plenty of variety here!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The new CR 044 has arrived at Arbroath..........

Of course it met its erstwhile companion NBR C12 442 tank 67502 while crossing from the up to the down line.

Here are 3 shots of the event.

attachicon.gifCR meets NBR 1.jpg

The ex-Forfar train's driver is keeping a sharp lookout as his train negotiates the scissors crossover.

attachicon.gifCR meets NBR 2.jpg

The sun is catching the top of the 044's side tanks.......

attachicon.gifCR meets NBR 3.jpg

The regular visitor Briggs tank wagon has been shunted by 46464,(Carmyllie Pilot), in the main yard.

Yes, folks plenty of variety here!

Hi Ken, you're very quiet! Hope everything is Ok? Meant to compliment you on your 439. It looks very straight/balanced. Some pictures of model 439s I've seen look a biit 'humpty backed'? Can I say that these days? What are you working on? I haven't done much, still working on shed roof tiles( model that is!)

Cheers Les

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken, you're very quiet! Hope everything is Ok? Meant to compliment you on your 439. It looks very straight/balanced. Some pictures of model 439s I've seen look a biit 'humpty backed'? Can I say that these days? What are you working on? I haven't done much, still working on shed roof tiles( model that is!)

Cheers Les

Couldn't get in yesterday for some reason, just to wish you and yours a merry Xmas!

Les

A Merry Christmas to all!

Just an excuse to show off the latest acquisition which will arrive in the goods yard at Arbroath soon - once it has been renumbered and slightly weathered.

It hasn't turned a wheel in anger yet, but that will come soon.

(To be renumbered D2584, as pictured at Arbroath in the late Gorge O'Hara's book on Diesels in Scotland).

I'll also need to give it some Vanfits and Conflats to play with.............

post-21954-0-73343000-1451084967_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling in 2016!

• Like 1

Couldn't get in yesterday for some reason, just to wish you and yours a merry Xmas!

Les

Hi Les

Quietness due to visiting father-in-law in Ninewells Hospital on a daily basis - once you've put in four or five hours travelling over and back plus sitting with him, there's not much time left for enthusiastic modelling.

The new 05 needs to be worked on, and I've made a pre-New Year resolution to finish off the outstanding jobs around the layout, so that'll keep me occupied for a few sessions!

Hope you and yours are facing the New Year with similar good resolutions..........

Kind regards

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Following the arrival of the class 05 shunter, attention has returned to the civil engineering side of the layout and a start has been made on the former stationary supplier's building opposite the main station booking office on Keptie Street.

Occupied for a long time by Swan Office Supplies, the building is now a dental surgery.

Here are the main parts of the outside walls taking shape - the front wall is built from a brown ashlar stone, with the remainder from the typical Arbroath red sandstone.

The line of the street and railway led to its being angled on its front wall which will require some nasty measuring to get the roof pieces correct...........

post-21954-0-59542400-1453409247_thumb.jpg

Nothing is ever straightforward!

• 2 weeks later...

Beginning to make progress on the Swan Office Supplies building for Kepte Street, opposite the main station booking office - worth comparing with the basic cutout  above.

The camera decided it would produce a night-time shot, with some interior lighting flooding out from inside - quite atmospheric, I think.

More shots to follow as progress made...............

post-21954-0-41440000-1454529866_thumb.jpg

Probably a daytime shot next time!

• Like 2

A new day with some natural light and the progress evident.

Close-ups can be cruel showing my basic attempts at "dressing" the front windows, but from normal viewing distance it'll be fine.......

post-21954-0-79394000-1454580146_thumb.jpg

Once glued up the corner will be much neater and down pipes,etc., will enhance the side elevation which will be the one most obvious once the building is installed on the layout.

post-21954-0-95349900-1454580168_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi not long since joined this forum just found your thread.  Its fantastic to see someone modelling Arbroath station and now some of the rest of Arbroath.  I have many happy memories of holidays in the 60s  Looking forward to finding more great pictures in the postings.

Ive moved to N Gauge to get more into a room and currently planning an imaginary mainline station somewhere on the Scottish coast.

Keep up the good work.

Dave