Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

Thanks for the session, Rob. It's really looking great, and it's going to be fun to operate. It's amazing how much 'playability' and operational scope you can get out of a small layout like this, particularly with two quite different levels.

Those 3-links aren't as difficult as I thought - perhaps one day I'll convert some stock over to use them for a small layout. However, the tip to couple/uncouple in the fiddleyard where possible is clearly a golden rule for minimal public embarrassment!

Alan

Thanks for the session, Rob. It's really looking great, and it's going to be fun to operate. It's amazing how much 'playability' and operational scope you can get out of a small layout like this, particularly with two quite different levels.

Those 3-links aren't as difficult as I thought - perhaps one day I'll convert some stock over to use them for a small layout. However, the tip to couple/uncouple in the fiddleyard where possible is clearly a golden rule for minimal public embarrassment!

Alan

Thanks Alan it was good fun, glad you enjoyed it. You did a good job with the 3 links, I am planning on putting a light in the fiddle yard to help as well.

• Like 2

Having seen so many close-in photos recently, I'd forgotten how small this is until that picture of the operators! Really shows how compact this is without being crowded- which is a very impressive feat. :)

Thanks Rich, one of the hardest parts of building this layout is avoiding the layout being too crowded. I saw Andy Y's photos on Friday and have to say he has done a cracking job capturing the details much better than I can do with my little camera. A number of people said to me at Barnstaple they didn't realise how small a layout it is. 

Very nice pictures!! :sungum:

Thanks, much appreciated.

• Like 2

Will finally get to see the layout in the flesh at the Chippenham show!

I will be there with Mr Spencer operating Lydgate, be great to catch up with you again chap.

Looking forward to it Matt, will be good to catch up again.

As this weekends show rapidly approaches I am firming up the future exhibition appearances, A couple of changes to the last list, full list is now:

Chippenham - 3rd October 2015

Yate -  13th February 2016

Trainwest (Corsham) - 9/10thApril 2016

Thornbury in 19th/20th November 2016

Weston Super Mare - 15th January 2017

Minehead - August 2017 (sadly I have had to move back from 2016 due to family commitments)

I am conscious that after 2017 Peafore Yard will have "done" the Bristol area so am looking at opportunities to go further afield for 2018.

Edited by 37114
  • Like 2

I had a very enjoyable last Saturday at Chippenham with Peafore Yard, part of the enjoyment was not being shackled to the layout thanks to the help of Alan so I could have a browse.

With no more shows until February, it is time to take stock and look at a few jobs that need addressing as well as a few scenic tweaks. First and foremost the point on the upper level is difficult to change, so I will take the back off over the coming weeks and have a look. I think the problem is a combination of some stray ballast near the tie bar and too much slack in the rodding mechanism.

One of the things I have struggled with ever since I started building the layout is disguising the exit to the lower level fiddle yard, having pondered pipe bridges, foot bridges etc but never coming up with a convincing solution. As an alternative method I am exploring making it harder to see the exit by fitting some advertising hoardings above the fence by the level crossing. I have space for 2 boards so as with Pallet Lane I have made 1 for a car and 1 for Cigarettes. The latter use images that were intended for Magazines as finding a clear picture of an advert hoarding in colour, at the right angle, not obstructed by a bus is near impossible. For the car ad I have downgraded from the Cortina to a Skoda...

post-7400-0-98092500-1444075333_thumb.jpg

The picture above shows the adverts mounted on card to which I have added the ad frame. When dry I will cut off the surplus card and make some supports for the back. 

After loading up on Saturday I realised I have a little more spare space in the car so started idly drawing a solution to my problem of the upper level head shunt being too short:

post-7400-0-80165800-1444075495_thumb.jpg

The inspiration came from what Chris Nevard did with Cement Quay, in building an extension that is effectively a bit further down the line. My thinking is the main line will go behind the building out of site so I can run a single DMU through the station and into the hidden siding, likewise Locos can also come and go off scene. I will also modify the wiring so the 2 levels can be used at the same time (they can't at the moment). On the lower level, the headshunt will be extended into a single siding for Molasses tanks coming to the United Distillers factory. Again this opens up more operational interest as 3 different types of trains can be used.

Now the complication is the space in the car is an odd shape which is why the lower corner of my scribblings is shaded out so the board will be an almost triangular shape which will be quite unusual. It will also be less than 2 foot long but the trains were only short so it shouldn't be a problem. The only other thing that could be a problem is the angle of the lower level headshunt to the end of the layout as it is angled out towards the public so I need to work out if it can slew round enough on the new board.

It will be a while till I get to the extension but I like to think things over for a while. I am curious what people think, does it work?

• Like 4

I think it's a great idea Rob - and thanks again for allowing me to operate your great lil' layout (as a first-timer) on Saturday - certainly it adds a whole new dimension to attending a show!

The extra traffic will certainly add variety, and the '40 will finally be able to run round. The hidden siding up top is going to make the upper level traffic far more interesting - you could have a new 'failed' HST powercar being towed out to Bath Road by an 08, as well as the odd Plasser grinding through, in addition to DMUs. At that point it will be great to have 2 operator simultaneous control of upper & lower levels!

Personally I would love to see that little RC lorry we were talking about appear from one arch under the upper level, stop for a while at the unloading point, then move off again - maybe a molasses tanker would be easier, as it doesn't give away whether it's full or empty. Still, that might be going too far on this layout...?

Anyway - great idea. Oh yeah - you might need a bit more cassette space in the lower (and upper) fiddle yards if you're handling one or two more trains there?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Rob,

Yep I like the extension board idea, hidden sidings on the top level will certainly add interest to operation. and more to look at on the lower level, cant go wrong.

Cheers Peter.

I think it's a great idea Rob - and thanks again for allowing me to operate your great lil' layout (as a first-timer) on Saturday - certainly it adds a whole new dimension to attending a show!

The extra traffic will certainly add variety, and the '40 will finally be able to run round. The hidden siding up top is going to make the upper level traffic far more interesting - you could have a new 'failed' HST powercar being towed out to Bath Road by an 08, as well as the odd Plasser grinding through, in addition to DMUs. At that point it will be great to have 2 operator simultaneous control of upper & lower levels!

Personally I would love to see that little RC lorry we were talking about appear from one arch under the upper level, stop for a while at the unloading point, then move off again - maybe a molasses tanker would be easier, as it doesn't give away whether it's full or empty. Still, that might be going too far on this layout...?

Anyway - great idea. Oh yeah - you might need a bit more cassette space in the lower (and upper) fiddle yards if you're handling one or two more trains there?

Cheers,

Alan

All good points Alan, I definitely would make the 2 levels to be controlled inedepentantly. I might struggle with the RC lorry, it might test my reversing skills although I could go with an 8 wheeler rather than an Artic!

Love the Ad boards as i owned an S110R Skoda

I don't think I have ever seen one in the flesh, but I did think it looked quite striking, almost a hint of Karmann Ghia at the back.

Hi Rob,

Yep I like the extension board idea, hidden sidings on the top level will certainly add interest to operation. and more to look at on the lower level, cant go wrong.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, plenty to think over!

I think Simon has a point - although I trust Rob's modelling experience to be able to pull it off.

Along the same lines, would it work at all to add the extension but keep the existing vertical separation there? If the arches at the rear left of the layout met a footbridge, gantry, or similar extending along the left backscene to the front of the layout, such that the headshunt continued under there (and through the backscene) to the extension, you would get the benefits of a 'separate' cameo for the third industry, without unduly affecting the main layout. This might work quite well with the 'triangular' shaped viewing area you have in the sketch earlier, but it's just a thought!

One way or other, on balance, I think the extension is a good idea. We can certainly discuss it next time Dave & I are over.

Alan

It works, but it may destroy what you have already,which is a glorious snapshot of a scene. If you must extend, why not have about 18" of hidden sidings, a second controller, and leave it at that?

I know this is a contrary opinion to most advice you will receive, but what you currently have is outstanding as it is; and part of that is because of the current constraints you have dealt with.

I think Simon has a point - although I trust Rob's modelling experience to be able to pull it off.

Along the same lines, would it work at all to add the extension but keep the existing vertical separation there? If the arches at the rear left of the layout met a footbridge, gantry, or similar extending along the left backscene to the front of the layout, such that the headshunt continued under there (and through the backscene) to the extension, you would get the benefits of a 'separate' cameo for the third industry, without unduly affecting the main layout. This might work quite well with the 'triangular' shaped viewing area you have in the sketch earlier, but it's just a thought!

One way or other, on balance, I think the extension is a good idea. We can certainly discuss it next time Dave & I are over.

Alan

Thanks both for the comments, I definitely welcome differing points of view as you often you get to a better end result. I agree with Simon that a "tradional" making the board longer would detract from the current layout, so my preferred approach is similar to that described by Alan, in that the 2 boards are separated by the current end panel with a small "mouse hole" to let the lower level line pass through to the new board, very similar to this approach:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nevardmedia/7188984699/in/photolist-bXgqG4-ceCNeU-itnBnP-ceCGTA-ceCQjw-bXgjJR-ceCN9A-bXgjtr-bXgrSi-bXgrWK-ceCFV7-ceCQqA-bXgtGx-bXgstT-ceCPM5-bXgjEe-bXgjBF-ceCQVG-bXgkcT-bXgrZH

• Like 3

I have been undertaking some research tonight for the extension, Andy Kirkhams photo stream has thrown up a partial shot of the united distillers building, I have also found a suitable candidate for a road tanker for the works:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46260602@N02/8103955136/in/photolist-owkdSw-qVatJz-oeSiF6-sDqVsN-xgKBeD-xesDrw-dm7Twq

• Like 1

I mentioned a few posts ago about adding some more details to the scrap yard so last night I raided the scrap box. Some old pallets form the base of the pallet bins, one has an etch side made from old class 37 frost grilles, the other 2 are solid sided. I have a stash of about 30 pallets somewhere which have gone missing in the garage but I will build a few more in the future. Also I have made a set of scales but need to adjust the base compared to the weighing plate as they are slightly on the twist

post-7400-0-79732600-1444559071_thumb.jpg

Also on the go but covered elsewhere is a cut and shut MK1 BSO which is now in the paint shop, can't wait to have this one finished.

post-7400-0-64004700-1444559284_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I decided to take the pondering about the extension to another level today and plonked the layout on the workbench with the piece of 2' x 2' ply that is the right size for the baseboard next to it.

My initial thoughts were to try and curve the front face of the extension as this provides more frontage to the layout and partly out of necessity as the another 2' x 2' x 2' cube will not fit in the boot of the car. What I hadn't accounted for is that the headshunt on the main part of the layout is actually quite a curve towards the front of the layout and means that by the time the siding curves back towards the layout it is virtually parallel to the front of the layout:

post-7400-0-28000800-1445107872_thumb.jpg

I am not a fan of sidings completely parallel to the baseboard edge although I could curve it more towards the centre of the layout. I thought about shortening the siding but I want the loco to be completely on the new board when it couples up otherwise you destroy the illusion of the siding being further down the line from the yard.

I also think the short length of the board vs it's depth will create a very cramped look as the viewing angle is a bit to restricted for my liking

The upper level can accomodate 2 locos or single car DMU's which would be welcome and provides greater operational scope.

post-7400-0-23208500-1445107913_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-24035800-1445107936_thumb.jpg

As you may have guessed from the above I am having a bit of rethink about if I extend the layout at all or do a different design of extension, I just don't think it works at the moment

• Like 1

Mmmm... I can see the problem. I suppose bringing the backscene forward on the extension at the right-hand side and then gently curving it back (or simply making it diagonal) might help, but it would need mocking up to decide whether it would 'work' in the space. As you say, you would probably need to curve the track further, which in the circumstances is fairly prototypical!

Otherwise you could go with Simon's suggestion and create 'another fiddleyard' board initially, which gives you scope to then re-arrange the lower level track to a scenic section at a later date if and when you find a way to make it work. In that case, from having operated the layout, I would be tempted to invest in a miniature camera & monitor solution to ease visibility of movements in the extension from the existing control position. This would also theoretically mean you could put a black fascia board in front of it with (further) photos on it, as from observation, it's not always easy for visitors to notice or read the existing photo area lower down.

However, I think the advantages of the extension to operation of the layout, even with completely hidden sidings, are really significant.

Just musings (and edits) of an experienced armchair modeller... :-)

Cheers,

Alan

Edited by aforsyth

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure how I have missed the last ten pages of this thread.

Very inspirational reading, I look forward to seeing the magazine article in due course.

Thanks Dave, Not long to wait for the article, it is out on 10th December

• Like 1