OO gauge J94 Austerity Tank locomotive

DJM Dave

The one area that could be improved is some representation of the space between the frames and the frames under the boiler as well as some of the internal valve gear, which Hornby did quite a reasonable job on their 28XX 2-8-0,

instead of that flat table top slab.

Gordon A

Bristol 

• 4 weeks later...

The brake standard looks to be a straight copy of the original Dapol model: It's too tall and spindly. The real thing only just goes above the top of the bunker inside the cab. I'm still not keen on the very visible placement of the joint on the saddle tank. This is a total deal breaker for me I'm afraid (though others might not mind, perhaps I'm just picky?): it was one of the worse features of the Dapol model, proving a right pig to fill on the rebuilt version I did a few years back. If the Bachmann pannier can have a similar join that is invisible - the tank bottom rather than the lower curve is part of the chassis block - then really this should be possible.

I wonder too, whether the buffer stocks are a bit on the fat side. The real ones are quite distinctive and thinner in the housing than usual for loco buffers. Dave Franks has captured this perfectly: http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshire%20models%20and%20supplies%20website_078.htm

Adam

Hi Adam

The CADs were up on the forum for a good while for people to see and comment on and I guess at some point it becomes necessary to proceed to tooling.

Given it IS now in the process of being tooled I wonder how practical changes to address the issues you raise would actually be without starting again?

Regards

Roy

Ah, but Roy, I did mention the saddletank when the CADs first appeared, there was even a little bit of discussion of the point:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75838-djmodels-announce-new-models-in-n-oo-and-o/?p=1152939 

It doesn't matter to me a great deal because I have parts to build another pair of Austerities in stock but this model might have saved me a bit of time. As it stands, I shall simply proceed as I was.

best wishes

Adam

Hi Adam

The CADs were up on the forum for a good while for people to see and comment on and I guess at some point it becomes necessary to proceed to tooling.

Given it IS now in the process of being tooled I wonder how practical changes to address the issues you raise would actually be without starting again?

I came to this one rather late, Roy. It may be that the final CAD drawings do already have the gap under the chimney. I just wasn't sure.

Hi guys,

As it's in the tool room it doesn't mean things are too late to change.

The brake spindle is easy and I will get it lowered.

The issue with the chimney to saddle joint I will also look at.

The tank visible join is probable the only place it can be due to costs of adding a collapsing tool it a 'bag' to the tool that allows the tank to be a 1 piece and still allows for the tool to release.

I can see why it's done and will double check that this join line will be a tight join, and be sonically welded together with perhaps some remedial work done to each to 'polish' the visible join out before painting and assembly.

I will, once first shot is received, get a rectangular recess put into the running plate under the boiler for a drop in metal or etched steel representation of valve gear.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I will, once first shot is received, get a rectangular recess put into the running plate under the boiler for a drop in metal or etched steel representation of valve gear.

which will leave the way clear for an aftermarket working set ;)

Dave, 

Although it's a long way off, do the CAD/CAMs for this model help with the O gauge version? I'd guess it's not as simple as 'just' scaling up, but will the suggestions made here help with development later on? For the record, I'm looking to get both an OO and O J94 :D

Hi Dreadnought,

Getting the OO version to an acceptable standard is helping no end with further development of an O gauge version I'm pleased to say.

But I can play lots with the O one and add lots more detail.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I notice that you are planning large and original bunker sizes. Was the larger bunker restricted to BR examples?

Regards

Presumably you mean the upward extensions? In which case, no. These were meant to be filled from above and were a problem even for some of the BR machines and some were removed, those allocated to the Cromford and High Peak, for example. The NCB did extend some of their bunkers backwards but that was relatively unusual.

Adam

Dave

Are you in a position to make the model easily convertible to gauges other than OO? I don't know how easily this can be done, but as you're a producer of models who listens to the modellers, I reckon it's worth asking the question.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Some nice progress to show this evening which will show that it's coming.

These are my J94 tooling in China. The eagle eyed amongst you will spot some parts right from the off, although I'm struggling myself looking at others.

Anyway, enjoy.

The promise of a first EP at Coventry in September is still there from China :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-71325700-1406923241_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-23485900-1406923261_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-26383500-1406923276_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-14420500-1406923292_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-78899400-1406923304_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-37686900-1406923317_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-74390900-1406923329_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-40390800-1406923341_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-94679400-1406923360_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos Dave.

For those who frequent the Hornby pages, hopefully, Dave's photos will give you an idea of tool size, and how they get mounted into carrier tooling. Sometimes, the tooling itself is not too large, but when it gets into a carrier, it starts to bulk up, and weigh considerably more. 

When a tool comes out of production, it will sometimes lose the carriers, as these get used for more than one job or customer. Once out of the carriers, the actual tooling needs careful preservation, as quality can sometimes go downhill very quickly, depending on original tool standards of build.

My guess is that DJM own the tools, but not the carrier.

Thanks for putting these up Dave.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Latest pics of the J94 loco first EP sample.

There are lots still to do and things like the piping , tank join etc will need altering as i'm not too happy with them.

The running model has passed its running in tests now and i'm please to say had it's public running debut at Hattons in Liverpool last week and performed faultlessly.

I'll post more when i have it.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-94319500-1412327380_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-57002100-1412327400_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-24745900-1412327415_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-23185200-1412327428_thumb.jpg

There are many more images of all sides and angles of all of the first EP samples but time precluded finishing all the images, especially removing the background, but these should be of use or interest.

DJM_Austerity_5s.jpg

DJM_Austerity_6s.jpg

DJM_Austerity_7s.jpg

DJM_Austerity_8s.jpg

When you say lots, what other things have you already identified to do? May we see the other sides and rear shots too?

Hi mate,

You will have to bear with me on that one as I'm away at the moment and the pics you see were taken by Andy of this parish at the RMWeb live show recently.

I'll put rear pics up when I'm back next week.

I'm putting in a recess beneath the boiler on the running plate to take an etch for a representation of valve gear, proper smoke box door dart, not moulded, lowering the brake handle column, making the fillet strengtheners behind the buffer beam bigger etc etc.

It sounds a lot, but not really, and ideally I'd like this model out for March 2015 at the latest.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

Archived