Old Tram Depots still in existence

melmerby

Thanks for the extra info. The latter map shows the 81 and the 23 meeting up to go beyond Waterworks Corner. Looks like they may have been cut back a bit later if the first map is correct too.

By my time they had been replaced by trolley buses 581 and 623. All of which I miss very much. Clean, quiet and sports car acceleration!

Still, I do have a few of the "corgis" which I hope to make operational if I last long enough. :senile:

Andy

• Like 1

There are two remaining in Leicester. The nicest is Stoneygate, heading out of the city on the A6. The lease was taken over by a transport heritage group recently, though things have been quiet for a while so I'm not sure how things are progressing. I've always felt it would make a nice 1/64 diorama for a few Corgi trams.

There's also a depot on Narborough Road, complete with a lovely supermarket sign!

I'm sure this was the one that contained some locos stored from the national collection (ie NRM) for a while - V2 nd GCR RoD plus a couple of others?

Stewart

I'm sure this was the one that contained some locos stored from the national collection (ie NRM) for a while - V2 nd GCR RoD plus a couple of others?

Stewart

Not sure, I've only been up here for a few years - someone said there'd been an attempt to use it as a museum a while ago, though didn't go into any detail, so it's quite possible.

Northampton Corporation garage is still in existence and still had tram tracks inside last time I looked. First Group have now closed the garage and it is to be sold to a shoe factory. Hopefully, they will convert the building rather than knock it down although I doubt they'll find a use for the tracks!

• RMweb Premium

Sheffield Millhouses terminus which was a turnround.

http://www.sc6.co.uk/s/sh112.jpg

Mike.

The Moseley Road depot in Birmingham, which I posted earlier, had a complete loop which ran around the office block at the front, the tracks into the sheds led off this, so trams could enter and leave in any direction.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Selly Oak is still there in Birmingham  

post-9767-0-88485700-1394311658_thumb.jpg

I can remember this being converted to a bus depot when the Lickey tram stopped running in 1952. There were lots of new buses parked over the other side of Gibbins road by the Dudley Canal. There is still a bit of track at the Rednal terminus.

Although the works at Kyotts Lake Road in Sparkbrook has now been demolished I think that part of the offices are still standing.

Edit

Sorry, Invisible Ink time. Selly Oak already linked at the start of the trhead.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

Not Sheffield but Rotherham who's trams ran into Sheffield I believe.

Mike.

Sorry, yes indeed but Sheffield had some trams that were 'single ended' converted from normal trams, basically removing the stairs and entrance from one end.

A response for Chris116:

Hope I have the right place to match your observation - will tread cautiously.

In the late 1960s, my father introduced me to London's tramway geography and remains.  The tours included a lot of North and East London and I was shown the Manor House side entrance and track.  He told me of seeing, in the 1930s, one or two of the single-deck four-wheel E cars of the Metropolitan Electric Tramways Company [MET], stabled on that track.

This is consistent with evidence given in authoritative papers and books on the MET, that Wood Green depot in the 1930s was crowded and needed overflow space for a few of its smaller vehicles.

Manor House was a major office for the MET and originally, had been the site of a horse tram depot and stables for the North Metropolitan Tramways Company.  I've seen engineering plans of layout and buildings that suggest the original premises were quite extensive.  The stabling siding followed the same alignment as the horse tram depot entrance.

The Moseley Road depot in Birmingham, which I posted earlier, had a complete loop which ran around the office block at the front, the tracks into the sheds led off this, so trams could enter and leave in any direction.

Keith

The current Nottingham tram depot has a loop like that. I've always assumed it's so that the trams can be periodically turned to even out the wear on the wheels.

• RMweb Premium

Selly Oak is still there in Birmingham  

attachicon.gifBirmingham Selly Oak Tram Depot.JPG

I can remember this being converted to a bus depot when the Lickey tram stopped running in 1952. There were lots of new buses parked over the other side of Gibbins road by the Dudley Canal. There is still a bit of track at the Rednal terminus.

Although the works at Kyotts Lake Road in Sparkbrook has now been demolished I think that part of the offices are still standing.

That's one of the depots linked to in my original post!

And I have also posted the Lickey track! (complete with toilet block, now a Chinese restaurant) Post #24

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Acton tram depot in West London celebrated its 100th birthday in 1992.  Though not used for trams after the 1930s when route 7 along the Uxbridge Road were replaced by the 607 trolleybus, it saw service as a trolleybus depot while Hanwell depot was being made ready for its new function.  In the 1950s bus route 7 used the forecourt as a terminus except when resurfacing was carried out and the remnants of the tram tracks removed and the residents of nearby Denehurst Gardens had a nice view of RTL buses laying over.  More recently bus route 207, which supplanted the 607 trolleybuses, was operated in two overlapping sections and the depot forecourt was again used as a turning point.

As far as I know the building is still there but I do not know if it is still in operational use.  It is easily found in the absence of a link, being on the south side of Uxbridge Road  west of the junction with Gunnersbury Lane and is convenient for the Red Lion and Pineapple, operated by J D Wetherspoon.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

That's one of the depots linked to in my original post!

And I have also posted the Lickey track! (complete with toilet block, now a Chinese restaurant) Post #24

Keith

Sorry, Invisible Ink. The thread was growing so fast I had forgotten about that.

A note for chrisf: [and this is a replacement post as work computers aren't allowing edits]

Again treading carefully as I've not been past the Acton Depot site for a while.

I believe it is demolished now, and the development replacing it may now be complete. I can't get the work computer to display properly, but I think the current satellite view via Google was obtained with the demolition part-done. Unable to get Street View to work to cross-check.

As with Manor House, there are some plans and structure sections still in existence that reveal a quite involved and compressed track fan at the entry to the shed, which would delight the model track-builders. Original plans also show an adjacent public house structure, simply labelled the 'Red Lion Hotel'. The tram shed had a lengthy role, post-operational use, as a store and base for London Transport's electrical engineering functions.

An addendum:

Across the road from the Tram Depot, just at the junction of Acton High Street and Steyne Road, there is now a police station. Before this was built there had been the remains of a horse tram depot including the inclined ramp for access to its stables.