High Level Kits

High Level Kits

Parcelforce having a monopoly on collecting revenue on inbound parcels for Customs is just plain wrong. They have no incentive to give a good service.

According to Parcelforce paying duty and then having your parcel delivered  is plain simple.

http://www.parcelfor...parcel-delivery

I wonder if trying to embarrass them via their Twatter feed might work?

https://twitter.com/...erp|twgr^author

I wonder how much of their fee goes to the Revenue and how much is their own handling charge.

Why do I care. Cos the Bassa's keep turning me over.

Edited by Porcy Mane

High Level News:

We have a small batch of 94xxs for sale, but will be re-ordering soon.

GWR Fowler Diesel is coming along slowly and the Armstrong D10 Demonstrator (Google it!...) is in for test etch Number 1

Gerry Beales splendid Dean Goods posted here....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117209-p4-dean-goods/

• Like 4

Finally got them David, though I think joy might be putting it a bit strong!

All the time it's taken to get them, the exchange rate has gone against me and, even though they were paid for 3 months ago, Customs showed they can be on the ball if they want to, and charged me VAT at today's rate, but they have finally conceeded to let me have my own property which is something I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to say brilliant service from Chris sent order in by email and card details by phone last week. Chris replied he was waiting for gear supplies but would send out this week. Gear boxes and Mashima motors arrived today. In the runup to Christmas I consider this excellent service. Well done lad.

Edited by iainp
  • Like 2

Hello and seasonal greetings to anyone who reads this thread...

Thanks for the kind comments. To be honest, these are difficult times to run the business, what with one thing and another so, if I can turn an order around quickly I will, but there just seem to be a mountain of problems stacking up, none of which are insurmountable, but added together they slow things down a lot.

I’ve been looking at the Peckett with great interest Capt! It looks like as superb job (looks just like my old Black Hawthorn with the body off!!) and I need to figure out whether enough customers would see any point in replacing the chassis. OO modellers do make up a reasonable portion of chassis sales so, if it runs well as it is, then I can count them out. More EM, and some P4 modellers are tempted by drop-in wheelsets, but I would like to do a chassis for this engine, just to have one on the stand.

In the New Year, I’ll be finishing off the GWR Fowler diesel-electric. This’ll be highly detailed and will contain more castings than usual.

Best wishes to everyone.

Chris

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

OO modellers do make up a reasonable portion of chassis sales so, if it runs well as it is, then I can count them out. More EM, and some P4 modellers are tempted by drop-in wheelsets, but I would like to do a chassis for this engine, just to have one on the stand.

That's very interesting, Chris. Hopefully the same type of modellers who have purchased your other chassis kits such as the 14XX, Panniers and Jinty etc. for use in OO would also be tempted by a Peckett chassis as well!

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck and a Happy New Year!

• RMweb Gold

l have a 4mm Finney M7 kit which was designed to use a Portescap motor but the replacement gearbox sides for use with one are missing from the etch.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable High Level gearbox/Mashima motor combination please.

Many thanks.

It’s a market with constantly changing trends and, as RTR improves, you have to weigh up the benefits of putting a new chassis under any particular prototype, and how well it will be received. The other side of the coin is that a good chassis and a superb, modern plastic body can make a fine model.

I doubt the old Airfix 14xx chassis, as supplied RTR, would be anywhere near as good as the one under the Peckett, but it’ll be interesting to see if anyone fancies putting a High Level chassis for this engine under the Hattons’ version of the 1400?...  Cost, and the thought of junking the new chassis might put them off, or they may be happy with the Hattons’ one, as is... but I can change the fixings on the kit if there’s enough interest?...

• Like 1

l have a 4mm Finney M7 kit which was designed to use a Portescap motor but the replacement gearbox sides for use with one are missing from the etch.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable High Level gearbox/Mashima motor combination please.

Many thanks.

I usually recommend the RoadRunner plus for M7s as the L-shape allows the motor to use the full length of the tanks. If it’s EM/P4 then a 1424, but for OO a 1024 will play it safe and clear the flanges, but you may wish to check this using the planner as there may be room to lift the motor high enough to allow the bigger 1424.

• RMweb Gold

I doubt the old Airfix 14xx chassis, as supplied RTR, would be anywhere near as good as the one under the Peckett, but it’ll be interesting to see if anyone fancies putting a High Level chassis for this engine under the Hattons’ version of the 1400?...  Cost, and the thought of junking the new chassis might put them off, or they may be happy with the Hattons’ one, as is... but I can change the fixings on the kit if there’s enough interest?...

If I was going to want to convert one of the new 14XXs to P4, then one of your chassis would be my first choice, Chris, although in this particular case, I have no need for one in that gauge.

Thanks to both of the above for registering interest and vote of confidence. I'll see you on the circiut next year and we can discuss the pros and cons of the Peckett. Hopefully, I'll have the Fowler on show and perhaps even a new stand, complete with moat, with electrified fence and light-sensitive guilletine for roving hands with light fingers!

• Like 5

Further to the Peckett matter. I would be willing to firm up my interest with a £10 deposit which would go towards the cost if the order was filled or to other goods should things not pan out. Bill Bedford asks the same for proposed projects so the idea is not without precedent.

Perhaps a large guard dog to supplement the hardware might be in order Chris?

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

..... and perhaps even a new stand, complete with moat, with electrified fence and light-sensitive guilletine for roving hands with light fingers!

Have you had problems in that area?  If so I am very sorry to hear it.

All the best,

Dave.T