High Level Kits

High Level Kits

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just trying to order a motor and gearbox.

The website is VERY difficult to see. This drop down as an example.

image.png.2c79f75ce25922bd9e3689b8d39d6f8d.png

I will put notes in and hope are correct

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Are you blocking cookies or javascript by any means? Doing so can often render pages in a weird manner.

Ublock origin and a few other things.

Pc is off

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say that there is a message on the HLK kits website about an extended Christmas break due to health issues, but that the website remains operational.

For anyone wondering about delivery times, I ordered some hornblocks and a CSB jig last Thursday (7th Dec) and it turned up today.  So delivery remains prompt, and I hope their health issues resolve in a positive way.

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Another note to say thanks to @High Level Kits for top service - order put in late Monday morning (11th), and delivered Tuesday (12th) - and product. The new coreless motors make an excellent first impression.

More good stuff from High Level, long may it last (after a long and restful Christmas break, of course)!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Another note to say thanks to @High Level Kits for top service - order put in late Monday morning (11th), and delivered Tuesday (12th) - and product. The new coreless motors make an excellent first impression.

More good stuff from High Level, long may it last (after a long and restful Christmas break, of course)!

Id be interested to hear more about what you think to the HLK coreless motors.  Its something that i've thought about. Im hoping to put the chassis for a J50 tank together over Christmas/New Year and had thought of using a HLK Slimliner plus gearbox with one of their motors and a flywheel.

Richie

Caveats:

• 1219C bought for a re-motoring project, my first, and has not included a High Level Gearbox, but using the existing gear train with the most appropriate (not right)  High Level worm
  • In many ways it is more a learning project than a modelling project, as such there has been much mucking about which has done the loco no good. I'm not able to give as detailed a response as other more experienced modelers and kits builders who hang around this neighbourhood.

But, initial impression: 

• Precisely dimensioned - if it fits in your planning, it'll fit
  • Smooth, quiet, powerful, decent slow-speed torque (I'm on DC, using a venerable Gaugemaster DS)
  • Useful quality of life things, like fixing screws and wiring terminals are appreciated

Overall: Impressed, as I have been with all High Level products. Shy of any more of their loco kits I could use on my layout (I already have the 1874-spec Neilson), I'd absolutely plan to use their motors and gear trains on other kits/bodykits for their chassis etc.

HTH

Edited by Schooner
Sp.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, BetweenTheTunnels said:

Id be interested to hear more about what you think to the HLK coreless motors.  Its something that i've thought about. Im hoping to put the chassis for a J50 tank together over Christmas/New Year and had thought of using a HLK Slimliner plus gearbox with one of their motors and a flywheel.

Richie

I can heartily recommend the  HL coreless motors.  I have used several of these for various projects and they have always been  smooth running, quiet and powerful.  The 1219 is useful for tank engines as it is short enough (most times) to fit vertically in the firebox with a Roadrunner gearbox to the rear drivers under  the cab floor.  The 1320 whilst small is a beast in terms of its power output.  I have just installed one in a GW ROD for Pendon intended to be the back up engine for the long mineral train when the 28xx needs servicing.  It would romp away with the train if it was allowed so to do.  

The HL J50 chassis has a gearbox included so all you need is to choose a motor.  I used a 1320 in mine as there is ample room for it.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

I can heartily recommend the  HL coreless motors.  I have used several of these for various projects and they have always been  smooth running, quiet and powerful.  The 1219 is useful for tank engines as it is short enough (most times) to fit vertically in the firebox with a Roadrunner gearbox to the rear drivers under  the cab floor.  The 1320 whilst small is a beast in terms of its power output.  I have just installed one in a GW ROD for Pendon intended to be the back up engine for the long mineral train when the 28xx needs servicing.  It would romp away with the train if it was allowed so to do.  

The HL J50 chassis has a gearbox included so all you need is to choose a motor.  I used a 1320 in mine as there is ample room for it.  

Thanks Chuffer, interesting read.  My J50 project is a 3mm scale scratchbuild so i'll need to do some measuring to see which gearbox is the best fit in the space available, but you have confirmed that my thoughts that a HLK gearbox and motor was the way to go.  If this works my next challenge (substantial) will be trying to build a Peppercorn A1 pacific, so (again if it fits) it sounds like a 1320 would be the ideal motive power.  Thanks again.

Richie

• Informative/Useful 1

On 13/12/2023 at 15:49, Schooner said:

Caveats:

• 1219C bought for a re-motoring project, my first, and has not included a High Level Gearbox, but using the existing gear train with the most appropriate (not right)  High Level worm.

HTH

Hi,

I may have completely misinterpreted your intended approach but am I correct in thinking your reference to a 1219c means you have a small Portescap unit and you are considering fitting a HL worm on the 1219 motor?

If so I must recommend caution.  None of the Portescap motors have been configured to cope with the end thrust demands that a worm gear would place on them.  Those who have tried have reported that whilst initially they seem to cope they soon fail.  I am in no doubt that when Chris commissioned  the HL coreless motors he will have requested alternate bearings to cope with the end thrust forces of his worm gears.

Frank

Edited by Chuffer Davies
Missing ?
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Chuffer Davies, but no - I've popped one of these in a Hornby Peckett W4 chassis dressed as an 1850s Neilson box tank! Sounds overkill, but need that initial power for shunting heavy whitemetal kit wagons through friction-inducing inset track. Still fettling to get the best gear fit, motor position etc but as I said it's more a learning project than a modelling one and the juice - so far - seems worth the squeeze :)

Edited by Schooner
missing link!
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rka said:

I looked on his website for the closing date but cannot find it, I assume that it is Friday the 22nd, does anyone know for sure? 

I sent a large letter to a friend on Monday 1st class, he received it on Friday, though a small packet sent recorded the same day arrived Wednesday, I would assume anything posted next week may not arrive until the following week, but then most will not have time for modelling over the Christmas period

A few years back we expected mail order to take 2 weeks to arrive, now we have Amazon delivering the next day, or do they ? Well most for most items, but I have had to wait for four items lately, the quickest being 4 days the longest 4 weeks and yes I am a Prime customer

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I sent a large letter to a friend on Monday 1st class, he received it on Friday, though a small packet sent recorded the same day arrived Wednesday, I would assume anything posted next week may not arrive until the following week, but then most will not have time for modelling over the Christmas period

A few years back we expected mail order to take 2 weeks to arrive, now we have Amazon delivering the next day, or do they ? Well most for most items, but I have had to wait for four items lately, the quickest being 4 days the longest 4 weeks and yes I am a Prime customer

I'm not in a major rush, just wondering really. 

• 1 month later...

Been trying to contact Chris via website 'contact' but I'm not sure if it has worked.  When I hit 'submit' I get a box about number of characters that only opens for a second so unable to read it properly!  I tried a few times so if it has worked then Chris has several duplicate  e-mails!  Anyone else had the same?

On 08/02/2024 at 15:19, 5050 said:

Been trying to contact Chris via website 'contact' but I'm not sure if it has worked.  When I hit 'submit' I get a box about number of characters that only opens for a second so unable to read it properly!  I tried a few times so if it has worked then Chris has several duplicate  e-mails!  Anyone else had the same?

Got in touch with Chris via a PM here.  Hopefully he can help me out! 

• Like 1

A tip of the hat to Chris and his team for their usual great service. Ordered a kit and a few other bits and bobs on 27 January and the package arrived at my door for signature yesterday afternoon. The new kit packaging works just fine for transport.

Cheers,

David

• Like 6