Doxey End - Walls and Bridges

Anotheran

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil, Glad you got the Magnets sorted in the end mate, just a question, have you got a Kadee Height Gauge, there a really useful little tool. I have a short (about a foot long) bit of timber with a length of track fixed on it and the Kadee Gauge at one end. It only takes a second to pop a wagon on there and set the height of the tail with a small pair of long nose pliers and the jobs done.

Hi Andy. Thanks for the advice, yes I have one, and I've been using it. The problems I've had have been less with the tail and more with the NEM boxes on a couple of the wagons. One Dapol one and a slightly older Bachmann one had the boxes set too high. The Dapol one also had them very loose. So I needed to pad them with styrene to get them to match the standard before the Kadees would behave properly.

I've only done half a dozen wagons and a couple of locos, so I'm assuming that I'll get quicker with practice :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well tonight will probably see some surgery on the piece of track (and ballast) over the first magnets that were described above. Unfortunately the magnets in question are right at the very end of a section of track and I've discovered (as if I wouldn't have already known if I had thought about it) that PVA doesn't stick to neodymium! The result is that while the ballast is nice and solid around the sleepers the sleepers themselves have not stuck down properly over the magnet. As it's at the end of the section the track has floated up slightly and I have a step of about a third of a mm down to the adjacent track section.

So I'm going to carefully lift as little as I can and insert some epoxy to make sure board, magnet and track are all securely attached. I'll then need to make good the ballast that I break in the process. It will mean that this section of track is unlikely to be able to be lifted for reuse in the future as I don't think epoxy will be as forgiving as PVA. But it's only a short piece of flexible track, so I'd rather have that than my rolling stock bumping up and down a step! And I've learned another lesson: Don't try to shortcut time by gluing down the track and ballasting all in one go. Make sure the track is down and operational before ballasting... as I don't like ballasting and don't like the fact that I need to redo a bit of it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well tonight will probably see some surgery on the piece of track (and ballast) over the first magnets that were described above. Unfortunately the magnets in question are right at the very end of a section of track and I've discovered (as if I wouldn't have already known if I had thought about it) that PVA doesn't stick to neodymium! The result is that while the ballast is nice and solid around the sleepers the sleepers themselves have not stuck down properly over the magnet. As it's at the end of the section the track has floated up slightly and I have a step of about a third of a mm down to the adjacent track section.

So I'm going to carefully lift as little as I can and insert some epoxy to make sure board, magnet and track are all securely attached. I'll then need to make good the ballast that I break in the process. It will mean that this section of track is unlikely to be able to be lifted for reuse in the future as I don't think epoxy will be as forgiving as PVA. But it's only a short piece of flexible track, so I'd rather have that than my rolling stock bumping up and down a step! And I've learned another lesson: Don't try to shortcut time by gluing down the track and ballasting all in one go. Make sure the track is down and operational before ballasting... as I don't like ballasting and don't like the fact that I need to redo a bit of it!

Neil,

Umm, yes.  I am not far off a trial of ballast and gluing track all in one go.  Mind you, I have not got any magnets, still food for thought though.

Afternoon Neil,

Apologies for the rash of ratings, my few days absence has left me playing 'catch-up'. It really is good of you to share all your trials and tribulations with your followers who can then avoid any pitfalls you come across!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having done a considerable amount of pre-op investigation I have decided to postpone surgery on the track. The investigation involved a lot of propelling wagons and coaching stock both slowly and at speed over the offending third of a mm step in the track. The result was not one derailment, and little in the way of noticeable jumps from even the lightest of wagons. So I've decided that my time would be better spent moving the rest of the layout forwards. The piece of track in question (which is expected to be possibly the least used stretch on the layout) isn't going to go away, and isn't going to be hard to get at, so if it starts offending me in the future it will be done. For now, it will stay as it is... a salutary reminder of the lesson learned!

I have to say I was very pleased with the way my new rolling stock (as detailed on my NE thread) ran around on DE. With some of my own kit built stock I'm even more keen to get DE up and running.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just had a read over this thread too, very nice. Any more progress ? 

Hi Britfarmer and welcome to Doxey End! Thank you for your kind comments, both here and on Newcastle Emlyn.

I've not made any more progress on DE for a while. Various events and lots of work with travel have curtailed anything major, hence me concentrating more on the small kits that I've been covering over on my Newcastle Emlyn thread. I'm hoping I can get a block of time soon that will enable me to get back to the magnets and electrics of DE as once that's out the way I can commence some proper scenic work. On the plus side, I will be able to use my kit built rolling stock on here as well once it's fully wired!

I'll post progress as soon as I make some, so I hope you pop back for more when there is some!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looking here I've not made any update on this thread for almost two months. But that doesn't mean that there's been no progress, just rather a lax consideration of the thread. However, being at work I'm not able to do a full update but, I will post a couple of pictures as a teaser. They both show the same scene from slightly different angles...

IMG_4300.JPG.ee5c5bd044c45cfe7c1590b4342d3dd5.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG.c7182439e63b18f685fbee1e07119d04.JPG

OK, so it may not look much, but I now have the main back scene structure (on which to put the backs of town buildings as well as the retaining wall to the railway. A part finished signal box (unmodified Ratio kit) that still needs steps, chimney, railings and glazing as well as painting, and biggest of all (I think) the girder skew bridge structure. It still needs lots of work, but the structure is there.

I have lots more pictures of what I've been up too in two months that I'll post over the coming week.

Thanks for looking at this rather slow to produce thread!

... and a very late Happy New Year to all viewers of Doxey End!

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran
Adding back images lost by site change
  • Like 11

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I thought I should at least post something to explain my absence...

As explained over in the Lunester Asylum my modelling has take a bit of a back seat (don't all rush to point out that it was pretty slow in the first place!) as my wife and I have had three children placed with us for adoption. Obviously that changes priorities a bit. So the embryonic layout and most of the modelling stuff has made way for some beds and lots of toys. I will get back to the occasional bit soon, but it will take a bit longer for major changes. So while this thread and NE may tick over, please be patient if you are waiting for anything big!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

As explained over in the Lunester Asylum my modelling has take a bit of a back seat (don't all rush to point out that it was pretty slow in the first place!) as my wife and I have had three children placed with us for adoption.

May I wish you, your good lady and the children all the best for the future,

Warmest regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

Three at once, brave man.  Something I could not do.  All the best.  I am sure it will be hard work but fun.  I was wondering how you were and am glad that it is good news.  I will be thinking and praying for you.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can't believe it's been three years since I posted on this thread! Amazing how much time children take up. The good news is that a month ago we've moved home and I now have a space (half of a double garage) as a railway room. But it will need some work as detailed over on my Newcastle Emlyn thread. During the move Doxey End was taken down from the loft (where it's been since the kids arrived) and shipped to my parents garage as although there's not too much to show for it I didn't want to risk the removers moving it all. On Saturday I brought it all "home" to the new garage. So I feel that I'm ready to restart the thread along with work on DE. It still won't be quick but I do expect a lot more in the next three months than the last three years!

I haven't been completely idle in respect to DE though. I have moved some of the kits on and have also built up more of the back-scene framework. I've also done a number of ancillary bits of work off the layout. I'll post on those in the coming days as I settle back into things!

If there is still anyone out there then thanks for you patience, DE is alive again (if not yet kicking)!

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s been a long time as you said.  Good to have you back. I’ve started a thread while you’ve been away but not a lot else, and I don’t have the excuse of young children or even older ones anymore!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2019 at 17:41, 5BarVT said:

It’s been a long time as you said.  Good to have you back. I’ve started a thread while you’ve been away but not a lot else, and I don’t have the excuse of young children or even older ones anymore!

Thanks Paul!

I've just been over to your thread and will follow Heath Town. The idea looks good for operation and for continuous run. Not something I'll get here but I hope to get it into the garage somehow!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So, a couple of months after bringing DE from my parents garage into my own it's finally up on its own legs. It's on the slope as there is still a long way to go in the garage before I can remodel the space and call it a proper railway room. However, it's nice to see it back up....

20190810_115838.jpg.c0098845fceb875bffb7e7fb0ff9a64c.jpg

I need to find the few bits that I've done as far as scenic work on the top goes now. They're all in boxes somewhere! But at least now, after a bit of a clean, I will be able to get some rolling stock out to see if it still runs.

There's a lot still to clear looking the other way...

20190810_115912.jpg.b3ac240963a28c1e12cd908c9c7e37e7.jpg

Fortunately a lot of that is two large piles of broken down boxes ready to be picked up by the removals company... that will give me more space to move around a bit!

• Like 5

• 11 months later...

A year on - any progress, Neil?

I've been in the same boat with my efforts. When I was a kid I had too much time, now I'm middle-aged, I have sod all time. I suppose it follows that when I'm dead, I'll have no time... :unsure:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/08/2020 at 01:10, petejones said:

A year on - any progress, Neil? 

Thank you very much for the interest Pete. Hmmm, progress? Well I've bought more kits...

and started a few in spare moments but they have been few and far between. The garage progressed in becoming a little clearer... 

Then came lock down. So a lot more time yes? Indeed, time to build 5 raised beds in the new vegetable garden behind the garage, then to plant them, then to tend them, then to harvest them... And have I found time to do the garage? I'm sure you can guess the answer. Now I need the autumn so that everything stops growing and maybe I can get some time again! 

If I make some progress then I'll report it... So I really hope that you won't be asking the same question again in 12 months!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Right then, Neil....

I noticed you'd paid a visit to the dying embers of the KL thread and thought it deserved a response. First time I've looked in on you for a good while. Since Gill Head will be starting in the next month or so, maybe I can motivate you to get really cracking on DE! Yes, I'm a cheeky bu99er, as always!

How's the family? I hope your lad, who I remember terrorising at Stafford in 2017, is still interested in the hobby.

Look forward to your input when my new thread starts!

Jeff