Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

19 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Paul,

I'm fine despite my birthday bash for next Saturday being cancelled by Bojo the Clown. No matter, I'll just have to have a party to celebrate the 30th anniversary of my twenty first instead !!!

I like a bit of Schopenhauer every now and again, especially this little nugget:

"The recognition of madness, even in oneself, is the true path to sanity." 

I've been told off for offering philosophical points on a thread that contains an awful lot of frightened comment made by an awful lot of frightened people. Go and look it up and spread some cheer there they are in dire need of it !

Perhaps Clive might indulge us and add Philosophy to the title !?!?!

I would urge you all, do not be frightened about anything, all things that shall come to pass will be for good reason even if they turn out to be painful. We now have plenty of time for us to be talking with wise friends, reading good books and looking into ourselves for clarity. Watching the news won't help you, all it will do is make you feel small and powerless, ignore it and get on with life as natures intention demands of you. You know what is right within your own being, tread your own path in this regard.

It is better to live a short and fulfilled life than a long empty one !

The world has gone collectively mad recently, unfortunately sanity will return singly and therefore slowly. Take hold of your own faculties and work with them for the benefit of others, do not be mean selfish and unloving. Show the disheartened the way forward in the face of adversities that are being forced perhaps even planned for us. If you give all that have that is good and everyone else does the same we will immediately be in a better place mentally, spiritually and for some in time physically.

Dis-Ease of mind will lead to Dis-Ease of body. Healthy mind, healthy body.

"You may only own what you can carry with you, know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

Aleksadr Solzhenitsyn.

You all know where I may be found ask any question you like,

Gibbo.

Well Gibbo, I hope you feel better for getting that little lot off your chest??

Meanwhile what have you got to show us in the way of recent modelling?- have you been giving any models the chop recently?

Me, I spent this morning going through a couple of boxes of kits and things that have spent at least 5 years on my "I'll do it when I get round to it pile"!

Mainly Coopercrafts that need things like roofs, brake levers and buffers fitted. Luckily I have always worked methodically so the bags of bits were all there with the original label tucked inside , so it was just a case of pairing up the bags with the part built models.

It also gives me the opportunity to upgrade some parts not yet fitted (particularly buffers!) from another box full of the little 50p bags you used to be able to buy of all sorts of such bits.

So armed with a long list of potential upgrades I can spend another morning finding the right bits.

Trouble is once you get into such tasks time seems to hurtle by, but at least thoughts of the current crisis go out of the window!

Take care All,

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Trouble is once you get into such tasks time seems to hurtle by, but at least thoughts of the current crisis go out of the window!

Take care All,

Cheers

Paul 

Hi Folks,

You see, it is all state of mind, when enjoying life playing trains Paul was At-Ease with no thought of Dis-Ease.

I'm in no way saying that is the answer to life the universe and everything but is does go a long way to making things better.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Gibbo's gone all Baz Lurhman on us

NURSE!!!!!!

Hi Dr Fritters,

I think you find that in reality I'm more a cross between Bob Lazar and Pophyry (neo-platonic not geological) in the eclectically idiosyncratic ways that I am !

As for the picture you did ask where HSFV4 was and now you know despite having to squint to see at almost a mile and a half away, even with a pair of binoculars.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

You see, it is all state of mind, when enjoying life playing trains Paul was At-Ease with no thought of Dis-Ease.

I'm in no way saying that is the answer to life the universe and everything but is does go a long way to making things better.

Gibbo.

This reminds me of the qoute that if Tony Blair had had a train set, he wouldn't have needed to invade Iraq!

How lucky we are to be able to distract ourselves with our hobby.

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

11 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

This reminds me of the qoute that if Tony Blair had had a train set, he wouldn't have needed to invade Iraq!

How lucky we are to be able to distract ourselves with our hobby.

John.

Problem is if he had he would have made a mess of the hobby for us

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

13 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

From Gibbo's speech....."You may only own what you can carry with you, know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."  Sainsburys, March 2020.

Ar$£

Hi Mallard,

Just like the empty supermarket shelves in the CCCP as remembered by Solzhenitsyn himself once out of the Gulag back in the day !

Gibbo.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gibbo

Philosophy???? All philosophy lies between that is a great idea to that is total bolox.

Well as this thread is towards the elevated end of that scale I think it something we can disregard.

My friend who lives in Berlin summed up things last week, supermarkets are empty, travel is restricted, and we are living in fear. Welcome back to the DDR.

Edit, she has lived in England and understands our humour.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

Clive, regarding your post elsewhere, I’m also dyslexic (mildly) and don’t really appreciate poetry especially when  I read it but do like to listen to John Cooper-Clarke. I’ve even considered building a layout, Beasley Street and incorporating some of the scenes he depicts in his poetry. Perhaps after the Covid-19 business is over I can get on with it, or at least some modelling.

Regards Robert. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Clive, regarding your post elsewhere, I’m also dyslexic (mildly) and don’t really appreciate poetry especially when  I read it but do like to listen to John Cooper-Clarke. I’ve even considered building a layout, Beasley Street and incorporating some of the scenes he depicts in his poetry. Perhaps after the Covid-19 business is over I can get on with it, or at least some modelling.

Regards Robert. 

Hi Robert

Dr Copper-Clarke ( or is now Prof Copper-Clarke ?) is wonderful, as is Attila the Stockbroker (John Baines), but they came out of the punk scene and done/do poetry that relates to most peoples normal lives. I also can relate to many reggae toasters and a few rappers.

As a kid I found it very hard to transform the 26 symbols into sounds. I would become very frightened when the teacher would say "Your turn to read CLIVE" and some of the class would start to giggle before I had even said a word. So reading for fun was not fun. Consequently I do not read novels often, maybe one every five years. Poetry was even more scary as it was reading with a rhythm, if you cannot decipher  the symbols into sound how can you read with a rhythm. I really love stories, I can listen to radio four's plays and ignore the rest of the world while I do so. As you all know I like listening to songs, which in some respects are poetry to music. Even in languages I haven't a clue what they are on about. 

An odd thing the class, when I was at secondary school, never use to giggle when I came top in Maths, Physics, Geography or History. Most years 2 or 3 of the four and one year all four. The ones I didn't come top in I was 2nd or 3rd. English.............towards the bottom, cos me were fick and lasy.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Robert

Dr Copper-Clarke ( or is now Prof Copper-Clarke ?) is wonderful, as is Attila the Stockbroker (John Baines), but they came out of the punk scene and done/do poetry that relates to most peoples normal lives. I also can relate to many reggae toasters and a few rappers.

As a kid I found it very hard to transform the 26 symbols into sounds. I would become very frightened when the teacher would say "Your turn to read CLIVE" and some of the class would start to giggle before I had even said a word. So reading for fun was not fun. Consequently I do not read novels often, maybe one every five years. Poetry was even more scary as it was reading with a rhythm, if you cannot decipher  the symbols into sound how can you read with a rhythm. I really love stories, I can listen to radio four's plays and ignore the rest of the world while I do so. As you all know I like listening to songs, which in some respects are poetry to music. Even in languages I haven't a clue what they are on about. 

An odd thing the class, when I was at secondary school, never use to giggle when I came top in Maths, Physics, Geography or History. Most years 2 or 3 of the four and one year all four. The ones I didn't come top in I was 2nd or 3rd. English.............towards the bottom, cos me were fick and lasy.

Glad to hear it didn't hold you back, Clive, but you never forget how cruel children can be to each other.  I knew a couple of children at school who were diagnosed with dyslexia - this was in the 80s when the teaching profession had just learnt the indicators - although there were some of my schoolmates/acquaintances who didn't get a diagnosis because unfortunately, they were actually thick as well.  Nowadays schooling is no longer one way and different teaching methods are used to help children with different learning styles.  But often children will mock anyone who isn't very good at something or are too good at something, anything that makes them stand out.

A friend of a friend from Uni was dyslexic; you would never have known until he asked you to proof read anything he'd written as he couldn't read errors in his own writing (although that's actually difficult for anyone).  He became a financial advisor to High Net Worths so did all right for himself.  Meanwhile I always remember Sirs Richard Branson and Jackie Stewart are both dyslexic.  It doesn't seem to have held them back too much.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I had an afternoon running session and enjoyed shuffling locos around so the platforms were empty after the train departed and the trains had something to pull them so they could depart.

I have a new SLW class 24, one in two tone green.....it is lovely looking.

Sorry no photos as our intrepid photographer is working from home and cannot go and see the lady in boots. So well done to him for doing as he has been told.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Robert

Hi Clive,

I'm quite good at all this reading and writing lark.

However, you may have noticed that rather unfortunately I do talk a load of old cobblers !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

So well done to him for doing as he has been told.

Not everyone is.

People in the flat below ours were intending to go away to the highlands tomorrow.  Their camper van was loaded and left between 9pm and 10pm tonight . . . 

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Our mate Dagworth posted this on Faceache, so I thought I would share it

It is OK to be in a prison without prison bars at the moment.

Good stuff. Mike Peters lives just around the corner from our Club. Not sure prisons should have bars though, surely inmates would be drinking all day?

Also not sure that many are heeding the so far, fairly soft lockdown; there were more cars on the roads at 5.30 this morning than usual. More trucks though too.

Stay safe all. 

Martyn.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Not everyone is.

People in the flat below ours were intending to go away to the highlands tomorrow.  Their camper van was loaded and left between 9pm and 10pm tonight . . . 

Paul.

Hi Paul, where have these people been living, the moon? It really beggars belief. 

Tourist spots in North Wales were overwhelmed over the past couple of weekends so that locals ended up blocking entrances to car parks and holiday parks this weekend, with the addition of large, rather frank signs on trailers...

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Paul, where have these people been living, the moon? It really beggars belief. 

Tourist spots in North Wales were overwhelmed over the past couple of weekends so that locals ended up blocking entrances to car parks and holiday parks this weekend, with the addition of large, rather frank signs on trailers...

It is the same around here. People think staying at home means moving their little house on wheels to Lincolnshire.

One of our neighbours works on a caravan site and he said loads of people turned up at the weekend. They expected the bar to be open. The site owner closed it Monday morning, but others are cashing in charging higher than normal prices.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It is the same around here. People think staying at home means moving their little house on wheels to Lincolnshire.

One of our neighbours works on a caravan site and he said loads of people turned up at the weekend. They expected the bar to be open. The site owner closed it Monday morning, but others are cashing in charging higher than normal prices.

Idiots, the bloomin lot of them, I'm self isolating out of choice as I don't want to catch anything having had both the Stroke and The Heart Attack, I'm considered venerable.

I'm even posting on R M Web less to keep my distance from others.:no:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Not everyone is.

Paul.

Hi Paul, when they get back, perhaps you might like to pop downstairs and tell them what total moronic, selfish dickheads they are. On the other hand it may be better to text them as you wouldn't want to catch anything.

Brian.

• Agree 9

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Idiots, the bloomin lot of them, I'm self isolating out of choice as I don't want to catch anything having had both the Stroke and The Heart Attack, I'm considered venerable.

I'm even posting on R M Web less to keep my distance from others.:no:

Hi Andy,

Charles Mackay said it well in the following quote:

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

Unfortunately there is a lot of herd mentality effecting vast swathes of the population for a variety of reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbEHEzEEHJ8&feature=youtu.be

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Forgot to add the link
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5