Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

Guest spet0114

Really pleased with this announcement, Bachmann is doing a great job of choosing some of the smaller loco types. Love the half cab and the Aspinal, so a Coal Tank is a great addition. Can we have the Stanier mogul too please!

Ummm...you know they've already announced that they're doing the Stanier mogul, don't you? :)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72039-Bachmann-stanier-mogul/

Edited by spet0114

• 2 months later...

Ummm,,,,you know they've already announced that they're doing the Stanier mogul, don't you? :-)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72039-Bachmann-stanier-mogul/

Think you missed my point on th mogul . It's can we have it in the shops please Bachmann, we've had lots of other (great) announcements that seem to have queue jumped the mogul, I love their crabs, so can't wait for the Stanier version. Would love to have it this year. In LMS black.

I wonder if the preserved example at the SVR was dismantled for overhaul before Bachmann had chance to measure up or scan - hence the current delay?

Or they wanted to bring forward the 4F - easy addition to the 3F and didn't want the Hornby one to take centre stage?

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Goodness, this thread has been silent since January ..... well done to folk for being so patient!

Was there any first sighting of the Webb Coal Tank, or any word from Bachmann on progress with them, at today's annual Bachmann Collectors Club Members Day event?

John

• Like 3

The next edition of the collectors club magazine should be with us shortly with an update of the current status of all models pending. 

I'll post any news on here unless someone beats me to it.

RP

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

The next edition of the collectors club magazine should be with us shortly with an update of the current status of all models pending. 

I'll post any news on here unless someone beats me to it.

RP

So no engineering sample or similar on display at Toddington today then?

The latest Bachmann Times states the Webb Coal Tank is "in the drawing office" as it was in the previous issue (along with the Stanier Mogul, the Brighton Atlantic, Thompson Coaches, SECR Birdcage, Class 158, and Intermodel/Tanktainer.)

The "OO Works Report" for Autumn 2015 reveals the class 90, the 450 ,Freightliner FFA/FGA Warflat, 24/1 and 70/8 as being shifted from "Forthcoming Items" to "In the Drawing Office".

The Ivatt 2-6-2T upgrade and the Mark 2F coaches have advanced from the drawing office to the tool room.

The V1/V3 upgrade is now at the the engineering sample stage. 

Somewhat curiously, this quarter's edition doesn't show anything "In Production" since the Black LMS Twins, the Class 43 and the SR 10T utility van.

The BR/WR Autotrailer ought to be next followed by the 20T Tank.

RP

• RMweb Gold

The latest Bachmann Times states the Webb Coal Tank is "in the drawing office" as it was in the previous issue (along with the Stanier Mogul, the Brighton Atlantic, Thompson Coaches, SECR Birdcage, Class 158, and Intermodel/Tanktainer.)

The "OO Works Report" for Autumn 2015 reveals the class 90, the 450 ,Freightliner FFA/FGA Warflat, 24/1 and 70/8 as being shifted from "Forthcoming Items" to "In the Drawing Office".

The Ivatt 2-6-2T upgrade and the Mark 2F coaches have advanced from the drawing office to the tool room.

The V1/V3 upgrade is now at the the engineering sample stage. 

Somewhat curiously, this quarter's edition doesn't show anything "In Production" since the Black LMS Twins, the Class 43 and the SR 10T utility van.

The BR/WR Autotrailer ought to be next followed by the 20T Tank.

RP

I find the lethargy evident in the "progress" of the improved Ivatt tank incredible. Given that:

(1) They are using the existing body (an assumption, but they have done so on previous similar projects)

(2) They intend to use all the "oily bits" already tooled for the 2-6-0 version, which had a DCC chassis of the kind expected for the tank from the get-go (another

assumption, but why would they do the job twice?) 

How on earth has it taken Bachmann two years to design a chassis casting to unite the two?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I find the lethargy evident in the "progress" of the improved Ivatt tank incredible. Given that:

(1) They are using the existing body (an assumption, but they have done so on previous similar projects)

(2) They intend to use all the "oily bits" already tooled for the 2-6-0 version, which had a DCC chassis of the kind expected for the tank from the get-go (another

assumption, but why would they do the job twice?) 

How on earth has it taken Bachmann two years to design a chassis casting to unite the two?

When I converted the Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2T body to fit onto the upgraded 2-6-0 chassis some years ago, I also used the 2-6-0 boiler as well slotting it between the tanks and cab. The old 2-6-2T body is wanting in this department.  This is the original split-chassis Tank.....

post-6680-0-42012700-1441794748.jpg

The conversion using as much of the 2-6-0 as possible....

post-6680-0-69556000-1441794751_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The preserved full size Webb coal tank is to be at Warley this year. It would be neat if Bachmann is able to show the first EP of their 1/76 model at the same time. Does anyone know if that is likely?

John

• RMweb Gold

The preserved full size Webb coal tank is to be at Warley this year. It would be neat if Bachmann is able to show the first EP of their 1/76 model at the same time. Does anyone know if that is likely?

John

The update published 2/3 months stated it was still in the Drawing Office at that time, as it had been in the previous quarterly report.

The problem with that update is that several locos were reported to be at that stage but with no indication as to how far through the Drawing process each was or the order of priority. The only way an EP sample would be ready for Warley would be if the Coat Tank moved into tooling immediately after the update was issued.

Not impossible but probably not likely unless a decision was made to fast-track it.

John  

Guest spet0114

The update published 2/3 months stated it was still in the Drawing Office at that time, as it had been in the previous quarterly report.

The problem with that update is that several locos were reported to be at that stage but with no indication as to how far through the Drawing process each was or the order of priority. The only way an EP sample would be ready for Warley would be if the Coat Tank moved into tooling immediately after the update was issued.

Not impossible but probably not likely unless a decision was made to fast-track it.

John  

The latest collectors club magazine had a feature on the LNWR. Although this is part on an ongoing series on pre-grouping companies, the choice of the premier line at this point might be significant?

• 4 months later...
Guest spet0114

Just goes to show what a sweet little loco this one will be.

Have already got two on order, so nothing else to do but sit back and eagerly await.

Keep up the good work Bachmann!

As I have 6 of the old K's running* on Penlan and a long slow build of one with a sloping smoke box front (about 20+ years now), I'm of a mind to let this Bachmann one pass by, unless of course somebody else is looking to get me a Christmas present, then all I've got to do is convert to EM.

Mindful my interests has nearly always been  the M.T & A. and the Central Wales Line, plenty of Coal Tanks running on those lines.

* Only the bodywork, now the chassis are mainly LRM's, though there's a couple of scratch built ones from the 1960's.  Sharman and Gibson wheelsets. 

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...