Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

Do people really want Super D to run as in pre-groping days or do they want one in LNWR livery? Some of the Belpaire locos carried what was effectively LNWR style with number plates on the cab sides.

"Pre-groping"??? Surely that is a BBC term for the days of Lord Reith, before such practices became widespread?

I notice that all three varieties of Coal Tanks are currently shown as "in stock" on the Bachmann website.

• RMweb Gold

Easy. Model Railways.

I've just carried out a 'Skills Matrix Review', and it shows I'm deficient is certain areas...

I'm grade 5 in Beans on Toast, but only grade 1 with the washing machine, Ironing board, and Vacuum cleaner.....

Hmmmmm......

Ian

• Like 1

Time to polish up those skills?

I must admit me and the good lady put together a legal document before getting wed which states that she cannot go after my model railways and prized Ayrton Senna car in the event of a divorce, and in return I cannot have a go at her hobby stuff etc. Other than that we are fair game to each other.

Personally I would want to run the G2a as a pure LNWR loco with round boiler than belpaire, but if I put it into LNWR livery when I get the courage from its original Bachmann applied LMS version how many people are truly going to notice? A pretty small percentage realistically.

Come on Coal Tank, I might get bored of waiting and actually build the Keyser one if I can sort out the mess the previous owner made of the chassis :(

The G2 should in theory accept a round top firebox if one is rolled in 12thou brass, which is much thinner than the original plastic one. This might then clear the outer edges of the motor. Might be an idea to line the inside with insulation tape!

Why didn't I think of that!!  I'll try 'sleeving' it with thin plasticard I think and see how it goes.  I'll keep you posted!

I must admit me and the good lady put together a legal document before getting wed which states that she cannot go after my model railways and prized Ayrton Senna car in the event of a divorce, and in return I cannot have a go at her hobby stuff etc. Other than that we are fair game to each other.

Personally I would want to run the G2a as a pure LNWR loco with round boiler than belpaire, but if I put it into LNWR livery when I get the courage from its original Bachmann applied LMS version how many people are truly going to notice? A pretty small percentage realistically.

Come on Coal Tank, I might get bored of waiting and actually build the Keyser one if I can sort out the mess the previous owner made of the chassis :(

In France, if you want marriage contract whereby items remain separated in case of Divorce, then the pension remains separated as well. Meaning if one dies, their pension dies with them. It made sense to keep everything collective, that way if one dies, the other gets both pensions.

Furthermore if one commits adultery, the other gets everything.

Top of my buying list! Would be nice to have a Lanky class 27 as well though. I wonder if Ratio would like to expand their LNWR range or Branchlines or 247 do overlays for the Ratio model?

The LNWR is very well represented for carriage kits by a number of suppliers, London Road Models, 247, Wizard/51L, Stevensons Carriages, etc.

The Ratio 50' corridor carriages were probably the largest number of carriages built by the LNWR to any particular Diagram. There are few other 50' gangwayed diagrams that would make it worthwhile producing etched overlays.

The easiest route is the former PC pre-printed sides kits (available from time to time on eBay).

If you really want to model the pre group era, then kit building (or buying s/h) is the only way forward.

It's nice to see them doing a pre grouping livery that's not for a special collectors club run or the nrm.

As a regular down at Haworth I travelled on the coal tank only a few week ago & this is something for my cabinet :D

L&y dreadnought or a highflyer please next Mr Bachmann or even a midland spinner

It's nice to see them doing a pre grouping livery that's not for a special collectors club run or the nrm.

As a regular down at Haworth I travelled on the coal tank only a few week ago & this is something for my cabinet :D

L&y dreadnought or a highflyer please next Mr Bachmann or even a midland spinner

Plain black with etched tank side plates isn't actually very special. Even the LNWR lined livery (copied by BR for mixed traffic locos) isn't difficult to do.

• 3 weeks later...

.. in their early days (1880's) it appears they were painted plain with just the brass numberplate for decoration. This is how 1054 probably appeared when built.... Jol

Jol, In the 1880's the Coal Tanks were built with sloping smokebox front's and 1054 is shown as such on page 54 of 'Bashers, Gadgects and Mourners'., so not exactly as per Bachmann's, (.. when built..), agreed probably in plain black as the photo of No. 925, out shopped in Sept., 1889, was in plain black..,(page 61 of above book). 

• Like 1

Now Bachmann have tooled up for an 0-8-0 and an 0-6-0 LNWR chassis I hope they have given consideration to all the variants they could produce from them? There must be at least a dozen! :sungum:

Other than the Special Tanks and the Coal Engine no other six coupled LNWR locos else used the small H spoke wheels so the chassis from the Coal Tank doesn't lend itself to much. Likewise the Super D has a Belpaire firebox, while all the LNWR locos were built with round top boilers. Although some were later converted to Belpaire, the larger wheel diameter might not lend itself to easy adaptation.

And what are the chances they'll produce some LNWR livery carriages? 

• RMweb Premium

Although the Belpaire fireboxes were fitted to the 0-8-0s during LMS days, a few locos were put into traffic with the new boilers but still carrying LNWR livery, at least they were plain black with LNWR numberplates.

So we did one for Narrow Road, which is set in 1923/24 and it looks really nice.

Although the Belpaire fireboxes were fitted to the 0-8-0s during LMS days, a few locos were put into traffic with the new boilers but still carrying LNWR livery, at least they were plain black with LNWR numberplates.

So we did one for Narrow Road, which is set in 1923/24 and it looks really nice.

Retaining the LNWR numberplate was probably a two finger gesture by Crewe towards Derby.

Bill Bedford/Mousa Models lists a round top boiler conversion kit (although not yet available) so it may be possible to do one properly some day.

THE LNWR was one big operation and had gone in with the L&Y in 1921, so reorganisation was necessary to get the best out of the enlarged company. In the middle of this reorganisation came the Grouping in 1923 and yet the business had to carry on as usual. Purely cosmetic things like repainting locos and stock must have been a low priority although it was necessary for locos to carry identification for maintenance schedules and records hence the LNW number plates..........The new LMS renumbering scheme would have to wait.  As if things weren't difficult enough, the Midland contingency of the LMS was very busy playing politics with this massive transport company and foisting inadequate Compounds on the heavy ex LNW West Coast route. It also instructed Crewe Works to remove the important centre bearing from the LNW Precursor and George V 4-4-0s. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

Other than the Special Tanks and the Coal Engine no other six coupled LNWR locos else used the small H spoke wheels so the chassis from the Coal Tank doesn't lend itself to much. Likewise the Super D has a Belpaire firebox, while all the LNWR locos were built with round top boilers. Although some were later converted to Belpaire, the larger wheel diameter might not lend itself to easy adaptation.

And what are the chances they'll produce some LNWR livery carriages? 

Hmmm.. OK. I concede that there isn't quite a dozen 'H spoke' variants. But if Bachmann COULD squeeze the motor into a round top boiler for the 0-8-0 chassis, wouldn't there be scope for 3 and 4 cylinder compound versions as well as the tank variants? Also regarding the 0-6-0 chassis... Yes a Crewe Special and Coal Engine. Well what about a Watford Tank and a Cauliflower? Same wheelbase are they not? Even if Bachmann don't do them I might! But I do certainly agree with you on the Coaches. If they ever did bother to tool up for them I recon they'd chicken out from LNWR livery. Maybe an early LMS would be as far as they would go?

Hmmm.. OK. I concede that there isn't quite a dozen 'H spoke' variants. But if Bachmann COULD squeeze the motor into a round top boiler for the 0-8-0 chassis, wouldn't there be scope for 3 and 4 cylinder compound versions as well as the tank variants? Also regarding the 0-6-0 chassis... Yes a Crewe Special and Coal Engine. Well what about a Watford Tank and a Cauliflower? Same wheelbase are they not? Even if Bachmann don't do them I might! But I do certainly agree with you on the Coaches. If they ever did bother to tool up for them I recon they'd chicken out from LNWR livery. Maybe an early LMS would be as far as they would go?

There is no scope for producing 3 and 4-cylinder Compound and simple 0-8-0's from the Bachmann Super D. They had lower & smaller diameter boilers and were totally different animals with different Tenders....

post-6680-0-66182900-1412709449.jpg

post-6680-0-47519900-1412709452.jpg

post-6680-0-08137400-1412709451.jpg

Models painted by me. Pete Waterman Collection. Photos by and courtesy of Tony Wright.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 7

And the BIWO (Because I Want One) kits of the Bill Bailey, A, B and E class produced by Nick Easton and marketed by London Road Models are now all sold out - with the exception of the last B/E kit as far as I know. So any chance of getting one of those rather unattractive eight coupled compounds has gone.

As for the Cauliflower/Watford Tank, the former would seem to be the most likely for the RTR makers to consider as it lasted until early BR days . However, their isn't a preserved version for them to scan, which seems to be the preferred way to workout how to create a model. The other advantage is that, as a mixed traffic loco, they could ignore any requests for suitable carriages to go with it.

Just a thought wonder if we will get a LNWR 4-4-0 in a few years when the replica is finished.

Probably more likely than anything not still in existence/preserved as it would be easy to "copy", have much more consumer visibility and you could run it with any assortment of carriage stock.

I wonder how long before it will be finished. The website shows that they still have a long way to go. 

http://www.lnwrgeorgevtrust.org.uk/