Sunderland South Dock Branch to reopen 2015

...this very good news. I'm rather intrigued as to what the "two locos" they have that they say were mothballed? I'm not convinced that mothballing is usually very successful though, things seem to get mysteriously broken/fall apart/vandalised/lost/rust (delete as applicable) whilst supposedly being kept safe. I remember a certain colliery that was "mothballed" but trashed beyond repair was more applicable I think...

Anyone got any pics from before the rail link was closed?

TTFN

Ben

A quick google search gives two Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0 DE's, and this photo

Cheers,

Mick

That link didn't work for me but here's another one  http://www.portofsunderland.org.uk/rail_connection.php   they look vaguely like 03's ? It would be interesting to know how much of the South Dock internal rail system is serviceable as latterly trains just went to the (Fina?) oil depot.

A quick google search gives two Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0 DE's, and this photo

Cheers,

Mick

Aha! For some reason I could not get onto that yesterday, now I realise that the damn google spell check always auto corrects loco to logo! Hence not getting the expected results...

Thanks, can I be excused the dunce's hat though? it makes my head itch...

TTFN

Ben

• RMweb Premium

This is good news.  I never actually went into the docks but did visit South dock loco shed when it was full of 56's and looked as if it hadn't been cleaned up since the end of steam.  I think I've got a couple of enprints somewhere.

Jamie

Looking at Google Maps, there's a surprising amount of track-work apparently left intact within the dock estate. If you follow the line that leaves the Newcastle- Stockton line northwards, it eventually leads to a track which drops down to quay level via a brick-lined cutting (the surrounding tracks would have been at a higher level to give access to the staithes), and which then serves most of the remaining quaysides. I wonder what traffic they're looking at handling? One of the Google Earth 'streetview' images shows a bulk carrier of some sort.

Looking at Google Maps, there's a surprising amount of track-work apparently left intact within the dock estate. If you follow the line that leaves the Newcastle- Stockton line northwards, it eventually leads to a track which drops down to quay level via a brick-lined cutting (the surrounding tracks would have been at a higher level to give access to the staithes), and which then serves most of the remaining quaysides. I wonder what traffic they're looking at handling? One of the Google Earth 'streetview' images shows a bulk carrier of some sort.

I've heard a whisper that biomass is one of the cargoes being planned for the facility. Presumably Port of Tyne is already almost at capacity for biomass & coal? (coals TO Newcastle - who would have believed it? :O  )

There's been a lot of discussion of this on the Sunderland Message Boards and my own theory is that they may be wishing to divert traffic from the south which normally uses the Boldon South - East curve to access Tyne Dock since this would tend to clog up Sunderland station. Or of course it could be associated with the new Potash mine at Whitby ? Just an idea.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/rail-line-to-port-of-sunderland-to-be-reopened.973557/

There's been a lot of discussion of this on the Sunderland Message Boards and my own theory is that they may be wishing to divert traffic from the south which normally uses the Boldon South - East curve to access Tyne Dock since this would tend to clog up Sunderland station. Or of course it could be associated with the new Potash mine at Whitby ? Just an idea.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/rail-line-to-port-of-sunderland-to-be-reopened.973557/

They'd have to put in a new river bridge if the idea was to provide an alternative route from Tyne Dock southwards. The potash traffic sounds more plausible, or perhaps reconnecting to EMR's scrapyard?

They'd have to put in a new river bridge if the idea was to provide an alternative route from Tyne Dock southwards. The potash traffic sounds more plausible, or perhaps reconnecting to EMR's scrapyard?

I meant using South Dock as a alternative to Tyne Dock for any traffic coming  from the south. Sunderland station currently hosts trains from the Metro, Grand Central and Northern Rail so anything which removed freight trains from the mix would be a good thing.

I meant using South Dock as a alternative to Tyne Dock for any traffic coming  from the south. Sunderland station currently hosts trains from the Metro, Grand Central and Northern Rail so anything which removed freight trains from the mix would be a good thing.

I understand; however, I can't imagine Tyne Harbour Commissioners (are they still called that?) giving up such hard-won traffic lightly. They'd be after getting the Leamside line reopened. On top of this, Port of Sunderland would have to invest in a bit more than half-a-mile of railway; a biomass storage facility and secure storage for Nissan would be a start.

In the wild and wacky free market economy we have now it isn't a matter of the Tyne "giving up" anything; if Sunderland can do it cheaper the traffic will go there. The Leamside line is currently 25 miles of empty trackbed and I don't expect to see it reopen in my lifetime. The South Dock branch is expected to open in Q1 next year so its a bit more practical !

I've done a video of my Trainz 2012 simulation of the line here  

It's set in 1960 though I have used artistic license to show things like Hendon Gasworks signalbox which closed in 1937.

The potash is to go to Middlesbrough for shipment out of the Tees - underground by conveyor or as pumped slurry, I believe.

The potash is to go to Middlesbrough for shipment out of the Tees - underground by conveyor or as pumped slurry, I believe.

Apparently it will go by underground conveyor. It's just my idea but maybe there is somewhere that can more easily be served from Sunderland. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic news... so long as it goes ahead. I remember articles about what was planned for the North East in the Northern Echo (local paper) around the time of privatisation. If even half of them were to have actually happened, the areas would virtually have had it's Victorian rail system restored.. :)

I occasionally pass the junction at Ryhope Grange when travelling on the coast line and think what a waste the facility is at the moment. It was really busy before I left Sunderland in the late 90s. Petrofina tanks, often regular traffic in Ferrywagons and occasional shipments of scrap and steel.

I've dozens of photos of the branch around that time....

post-13274-0-68792800-1413153809_thumb.jpg

The classic view of the Petrofina terminal in 1996.

post-13274-0-13479500-1413154051_thumb.jpg

The lines behind the terminal led to Corporation Quay. At this time, 1997, trains of Cargowagons were propelled around the curve for loading/unloading although I'm not sure if they were shunted as far as the quayside.

post-13274-0-20014900-1413154243_thumb.jpg

1998 Looking in the opposite direction is the small loco shed shown in the earlier photo and two other sidings which may have formed a loop? At the time this is where occasional scrap trains were loaded. IIRC this traffic involved the use of the diesel shunter. This photo is one of a series I took showing most of the surviving trackplan following the closure of South Dock Shed.

post-13274-0-43338600-1413155290_thumb.jpg

The Petrofina climbing up out of the "big ole" as it was know locally. This was the incredibly steep incline up from the dock system. Brakevan at the rear for shunting the train into the terminal - 1997.

post-13274-0-35644600-1413155553_thumb.jpg

The "big ole" 1998. South Dock Shed stood on the area - top right. The wooden South Dock coal staiths ran out from the high ground in the centre and over the water just out of shot to the left.

post-13274-0-41505900-1413154687_thumb.jpg

The only trackwork remaining by 1997 at the upper level was a run round loop and two sidings seen here holding the Petrofina tanks. This lengthy train was split into rakes of seven TEAs, the maximum the Petrofina terminals' two sidings could hold.

post-13274-0-75999200-1413154902_thumb.jpg

I always get the names of the branch boxes mixed up.... I think this is/was Londonderry Junction. It was taken out of use after the shed closed and within a few months the inevitable happened...1996

Edited... Hendon Junction Box? Destroyed by fire Feb 13th 1996.

Archived