Postman today brought these new Railway Motors from Oxford Diecast.

GBT945W a 1980 Leyland Sherpa minibus based in Sheffield.

YK03SWF a 2003 Ford Transit Connect, a former Jarvis van re-branded in 2004 when transferred to Network Rail, based at Llandudno Jct. P Way.

GXF770 a wartime LNER Bedford OXS based at York

VXR331 a S & D Freightlifter repainted yellow and from Barnstaple

post-1625-0-48735800-1490212045_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-33453000-1490212057_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting Paul, must be the last B R (or BREL) works producing them as many were from the private bodybuilders like Besco or Locomotors by then. The last VSB7 style crew bus I saw was a L reg.

Merf, you say "VSB7" style, what does that mean?

Merf, you say "VSB7" style, what does that mean?

Vehicle Special Body type 7 was the common 14 seater with 1 ton tool compartment mostly used by the P way maintenance gangs. Different VSB numbers were given to the 22 seater, the rerailing unit and the welders 8 seater. I have a list somewhere, will dig it out for you.

Hi Merf,

I like the look of the Sherpa minibus. Did they have in North Wales? I might have to get one.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, the early Leyland Sherpa was not common round here. A few with high roofs were bought , so a conversion would be needed. By the time your layout is set, the Freight Rover model was standard issue and we had one at our place but that would need to be done from the Kingfisher kit.

A560CAU was our one, sorry not a great photo.

post-1625-0-84163900-1490603463_thumb.jpg

And one of the Leylands at Bangor, but not sure if a van or minibus

post-1625-0-56915700-1490603736.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Merf,

I think I have a Kingfisher kit to do somewhere. I might have to dig it out and have a look.

Cheers Peter.

Kingfisher did 2 versions, the Leyland (as Oxford) and the Freight Rover. Hope you have the latter then you can have one of each.

Merf.

Kingfisher did 2 versions, the Leyland (as Oxford) and the Freight Rover. Hope you have the latter then you can have one of each.

Merf.

I am not sure which kit I have I will go dig it out. Meanwhile I might get an Oxford Leyland it's a nice looking model. I have a couple of the post office vans sat by the station.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Is that a Moscvitch (spelling?) I see in the car park at Bangor?  Surely a car now extinct in the UK.  Came with a huge tool kit as service stations were few and far between in the USSR.

Tony Comber

Edited by shipbadger
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that a Moscvitch (spelling?) I see in the car park at Bangor?  Surely a car now extinct in the UK.  Came with a huge tool kit as service stations were few and far between in the USSR.

Tony Comber

It's a Vauxhall Victor FC. Minic made one in 1/76 scale but its now very rare.

It's a Vauxhall Victor FC. Minic made one in 1/76 scale but its now very rare.

The Moskvitch (not sure of the spelling either!) is in the line of cars on the left. There are a handful still around, one of them was kicking around the Stamford/ Peterborough area last Summer.

• RMweb Premium

The Moskvitch (not sure of the spelling either!) is in the line of cars on the left. There are a handful still around, one of them was kicking around the Stamford/ Peterborough area last Summer.

It's Moskvich

So it is, I realise now I was looking for a Volga. The sight below can be used to check how many are left.

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/#

PhilJ W that's a site I hadn't come across before and I suspect is a good way of 'wasting' lots of time.  I've already checked on some of my previous vehicles and discovered they are now rarities.  No names but some should have been made rarities when they were contemporary.  Thank goodness iffy brakes, wipers and lights are now things of the past, at least if vehicles have been maintained.  Or is that the things that gave them 'character' :-)

Tony Comber

• Like 2

Hi Merf,

I saw this last year at a Festival of Transport in East Sussex last August.

I don't recall BR having any Mercs, being 'encouraged' to buy British...unless you know different.

Steve

Unusual combination, but only the body is ex B R.

For many years I have been sceptical of the many Morris Minor van models that have appeared in B R livery, from 3 different manufacturers, Corgi, Classix and Oxford, as I had never come across a picture of the real thing.

Finally on the net I found a picture of Cwmbran station and behind the station fence was a Morris Minor (at last) in red & cream with a large totem visible. This gave me the inspiration to take a Classix model, in my opinion the best of the 3, and replicate the one in the photo. Registration is of the apropriate age from the W R series and fleet number guessed at.

Has anybody else come across one of these ?

post-1625-0-37700700-1491259872_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-18337800-1491259859_thumb.jpg

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Like 1