Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The coaches being dragged around by the Type 1s are from a pile of bits Sainty sent me (cheers mate).

You're welcome. They look a bit better than they did when they left here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Oh, and 7905? Well, it moved under its own power but I need to adjust the back-to-back on the leading driving axle to get it to go through points again.

No good. Even though I repaired the muff, it was too far gone to hold the wheels firmly. I'll have to wait until I get some spares (which are on their way, together with a replacement motor mount and bracket for the T9).

• Friendly/supportive 14

I always wonder what holds these half brick/half timber boxes together in real life?

Does the timber upperworks just rest on top of the brick lower walls or are they somehow fixed together?

In any case they are an excellent example of the designer's and builder's skills. Par, and others, still holding the roof up after more than 100 years.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

I always wonder what holds these half brick/half timber boxes together in real life?

Does the timber upperworks just rest on top of the brick lower walls or are they somehow fixed together?

In any case they are an excellent example of the designer's and builder's skills. Par, and others, still holding the roof up after more than 100 years.

No idea, Nick!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

No idea, Nick!

It varies.  I have seen bolts, pieces of angled steel clamped over the bottom timber strut in different boxes.  There is often a heavy frame supporting the interlocking mechanism that will also play a role in supporting the floor above, so it’s not just a matter of a timber frame sitting on brick walls.  I am sure that the GWR will have had a standardised method of construction, there will be plans available somewhere!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

The timber part is completely separate and sits on the brickwork although there are presumably some 'hidden' (from normal view) fixings of some sort - possibly from the base beams of the wooden structure bolted to the brickwork?    The only 'boxes I've seen dismantled have been all timber ones (which were of sectional construction).  Normal arrangement for Western lever frames was that the weight was taken in the locking room floor at the bottom beneath the frame.  In the final Reading design of sectional timber 'boxes the frame was erected on its own concrete strip foundation which was inside the structure and didn't extend to the full width or length of the building but was just the footprint of the frame and these can still sometimes be seen (e.g. Twyford, erected 1961, dismantled 10 years later) where such a 'box once stood.   This method was effectively an updating of the earlier method of construction and allowed the final design of sectional building signal box structure to be erected very quickly and then the frame could be separately erected inside the building.

In the older sectional timber 'boxes - and probably the same in some 'boxes with a masonry base? - the frame stood on its own substantial oak timbers and these were separate from the timbers on which the structure was stood.  In the 1980s we recovered a c.70 year old 'box from the Bristol area for re-use at Tyseley and it was constructed in that way but was rebuilt on a substantial concrete pad foundation.  The separate timbers obviously had their advantages as when I was at Westbury one of our timber built 'boxes was clobbered a passing blow by a partially derailed stone wagon which caused one corner of the 'box structure to drop a bit and reduce its stability but the frame was  unaffected and suffered no problems at all from the damage to the structure.

From what I have seen in some boxes (including one with a brick base) there were two substantial floor joists running parallel with the frame, just below quadrant plate level, and one each side of it (so obviously beneath the operating floor) which clearly helped maintain the vertical stability of the frame.  I suspect that in later designs the joists might have been replaced by I section girders but even then the weight was carried at, or sometimes a bit below, locking room floor level floor so had nothing to do with the building structure.

• Informative/Useful 16

8 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Others have suggested details of this, and I am in no position to comment on any of them. However, wind loading on a structure can lift it up as well as blowing it over - witness roofs coming off buildings in a storm. It would be normal to tie the roof down onto the walls, and so I assume (dangerous phrase that) that the timber portion would be tied down to either the brick, or as that is poor in tension, to the foundations.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Very long straps of metal running down the masonry would have joined the portions together, similar to how roofs are held on between different materials.  Our little concrete shed has them to hold the wooden ring beam of the asbestos roof on.

Edited by Tim Dubya
sleep
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/10/2021 at 20:48, St Enodoc said:

Brown-Boveri GT, 18000, which is on the point of arriving at Rails and of which I have one on order.

Payment has been made, so with luck 18000 will arrive west of the Tamar in about three weeks' time. If it does, it might be able to take 7905's place at our November running session...

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 30/06/2021 at 09:04, St Enodoc said:

...and we've got the Zig-Zag Railway.

The Zig-Zag Railway features in the new tv series of 'World's Most Scenic Railway Journeys' on UK Channel 5.

In the first episode, covering the 'Indian Pacific' train, from Sydney to Adelaide, they had a short sequence at the Zig-Zag. There was an interview with one of the engineers and covered their problems. One of the locomotives was shown in steam and running test trains from one end of the line to the other "before they can reopen to the public ."

I don't know whether it can be viewed down under but this is the link:

https://www.my5.tv/world-s-most-scenic-railway-journeys/season-5/episode-1-73e361d8-869d-44e0-a758-b91361d73409

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

The Zig-Zag Railway features in the new tv series of 'World's Most Scenic Railway Journeys' on UK Channel 5.

In the first episode, covering the 'Indian Pacific' train, from Sydney to Adelaide, they had a short sequence at the Zig-Zag. There was an interview with one of the engineers and covered their problems. One of the locomotives was shown in steam and running test trains from one end of the line to the other "before they can reopen to the public ."

https://www.my5.tv/world-s-most-scenic-railway-journeys/season-5/episode-1-73e361d8-869d-44e0-a758-b91361d73409

Thanks Nick. I'll check the link. Even if it doesn't work, we often get that sort of programme over here on cable so I'll look out for it there too.

We took the IP all the way to Perth in 2012 - great fun. When circumstances permit we plan to ride the Ghan too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Nick. I'll check the link. Even if it doesn't work, we often get that sort of programme over here on cable so I'll look out for it there too.

We took the IP all the way to Perth in 2012 - great fun. When circumstances permit we plan to ride the Ghan too.

We did the Ghan, from Alice Springs to Darwin, in 2017, via Katherine Gorge.

I have to say though that I think Darwin railway station should be named 'Darwin Road' - (18 km from the city centre)!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

I have to say though that I think Darwin railway station should be named 'Darwin Road' - (18 km from the city centre)!

In true GWR style!

Paul.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Is there any particular reason why the left rear window is a different frame pattern ?

Yes, Stu, it's the toilet window. The top row of panes is hinged at the top and opens outwards for ventilation. The rows below that will be obscured with white paint. If you look closely at the first and third photos you can see where I've boxed off the corner for the cubicle itself. It will only do for a very slim signalman though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129659811@N08/16206998206/

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

All the windows in that photo are non-GWR pattern, so I'm assuming they are replacements (double glazing etc).  But does that mean the original toilet window was also of GWR pattern ?

Or you're just using Modeller's licence ?

image.png.1977bd368caef7212019a16fc77c174f.png

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

All the windows in that photo are non-GWR pattern, so I'm assuming they are replacements (double glazing etc).  But does that mean the original toilet window was also of GWR pattern ?

Or you're just using Modeller's licence ?

Don't forget that Porthmellyn Road isn't Par - it has some similarities but some differences too! At the real Par all the windows were of the early type, not the later 3x2 type. However, I'm using the Ratio windows which are of the later type. The toilet window is cobbled up from three smaller Ratio windows. As I mentioned earlier, my intention (which has succeeded) was to use as many parts from two Ratio 552 kits as possible to build this box.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 07/10/2021 at 09:50, St Enodoc said:

Payment has been made, so with luck 18000 will arrive west of the Tamar in about three weeks' time. If it does, it might be able to take 7905's place at our November running session...

Just arrived at Burngullow Lane. Running in on the rollers this afternoon hopefully.

It's an impressive looking model - very black! To bring out the best I think some professional weathering is called for. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

The Zig-Zag sequence was interesting for the fact that Top Points Signal Box and the station platforms there didn't appear which made me wonder if there is still a lot of reconstruction work required in that area?   Bottom Points 'signal box' appears in the background in several shots and looked to be in good condition.  If you're interested at all in the railway route and its history/associated railway things you might be disappointed because neither Valley Heights Preservation site, nor Leuralia Toy & Train Musum, nor the once important rail centre of  Lithgow don't get a mention at all

As I mentioned previously the continuity of the main IP run left quite a lot to be desired with the hilarious sight of 'rolling grasslands' an hour after starting and before the train reached the Blue Mountains 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2