Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Harlequin said:

The S and G characters are wrong, I'm afraid.

OK, it's time for me to show my hand. I have made a much more correct GWR Signal Box nameplate font, including the special characters for abbreviations of "Junction" and other similar things. I've got that font tied in to a little bit of graphical magic that lets me type any old text and it automatically expands a nameplate around it.

I've already sent John a full set for all his boxes as a PDF. The relief on the characters would be so small at 4mm scale as to not be noticeable so they don't need etching or 3D printing. Just normal printing is good enough and thick photo paper gets you close to the scale thickness for the nameplate (0.3mm). Here's one I made for @Andy Keane last week:

IMG_20211102_215719r.jpg.5eda673d944050de8167f6ca5a5d979e.jpg

And here's my version of Box Signal Box:

image.png.814e1a816cd1b7206f1bdc203a8f0529.png

Notice the S doesn't curl over so much and the rather chunky tail on the G.

Thanks! Now you've broken cover I can confirm that Phil has sent me a PDF with all four Mid-Cornwall Lines signal box nameboards in both 4mm scale and 16mm scale that I can use on the lever frames. I agree that the 4mm scale ones should be fine without relief as the lettering is small enough for that not to be noticeable. My current plan is to print the boards on to self-adhesive labels and stick those to .020" styrene. I'll try one on Porthmellyn Road box when it's finished. Watch this space.

13 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Easy enough to etch them, if you design them with the correct font I'll put some on a test etch for you.

Thanks Mike. I'll discuss this with Phil off-line as the font and the nameplate magic are his IP.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

With our next running session looking as though it will go ahead a week today (touch wood), I've been tidying up and sorting a few things out, including testing the signals and the train describer (which were all fine, I'm pleased to say).

I'm also making slow but steady progress with the signal box, painting the brown woodwork one side at a time. I tried Tamiya XF-10 Flat Brown but it was drying very fast, which made it tricky getting clean edges. I decided to go back to enamels and, rather than use up my precious supplies of Railmatch 602 GWR Stock Brown, found a very ancient tin of Precision Paints B119 BR Underframe Brown, as used on HSTs and similar. This is in a 50ml tin, which is still about half full and, after stirring in all the sludge, went on very nicely. Once I've done all four sides, and tidied up the edges, I'll do a trial fit of the windows and probably take some more photos.

Separately, I've been corresponding with Graeme in Queensland to check the interlocking for the combined Treloggan Junction and Pentowan lever frame. He found a couple of errors, which I've fixed, so I think that's about finalised now.

The final task in hand at the moment is to complete the design of Pentowan station, to get the best fit in the length and width available for the three platforms, a small scenic area at the front and of course the carriage sidings. As always, I'm using Computer-Absent Design for this and so far it's looking quite promising.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, I've been and gorn and dunnit (again...).

I just placed my pre-order for 18100 from Rails of Sheffield. I'll just have to carry on working a bit longer.

Just go sick on that extra day.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Just go sick on that extra day.

Might not need to - had a Lotto win last night.

After deducting the cost of the ticket, I made a gain of $2.40.

Ah, well...

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Lovely to see the jacarandas. Reminds me of my weekend in Grafton 34 years ago. Before preaching on the Sunday, I was warned that a kookaburra had a habit of parking on a windowsill and uttering it's well known call!

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
spelling mistakes.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Lovely to see the jacarandas. Reminds me of my weekend in Grafton 34 years ago. Before preaching on the Sunday, I was warned that a kookaburra had a habit of parking on a windowsill and uttering it's well known call!

Lloyd

Grafton is certainly the place for jacarandas.

https://www.australiantraveller.com/nsw/north-coast/graftons-jacaranda-season-the-purple-patch-you-need-right-now/

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope the hydraulic (of a different sort) occasion went well and won't interfere with the running of certain small hydraulics?  The layout looks great and, strange tho' it will sound,  I almost wonder if adding scenery outside the railway boundary fence might actually detract from some of it rather than having the opposite effect?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

On 14/11/2021 at 09:46, St Enodoc said:

jacaranda time again

The Jacarandas in bloom are one enduring memory of our vacation in Oz. Flying in to Sydney airport over the suburbs, there seemed to be thousands of them throughout the neighbourhoods. We have some great pictures of them in bloom downtown.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I hope the hydraulic (of a different sort) occasion went well and won't interfere with the running of certain small hydraulics?  The layout looks great and, strange tho' it will sound,  I almost wonder if adding scenery outside the railway boundary fence might actually detract from some of it rather than having the opposite effect?

Thanks Mike. The evening went extremely well and I even managed to get on the right train home (and get off at the right station). The best part was catching up with industry colleagues that I hadn't seen face-to-face for months and face-to-face socially for even longer. The railway family at its best.

That's an interesting thought regarding scenery. As others here know I'm not a big "layout in the landscape" person. The main scenery will be the viaduct, some roads, bridges, the seaside at Pentowan and, of course the still-secret scenic treatment between St Enodoc and Wheal Veronica. The rest will be fairly restrained, just to join it all together visually really and reinforce the impression of being somewhere in Cornwall.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Ah, lots and lots of seagulls then.

And China clay tips.

And old engine houses.

And a lifeboat station...

And trees all bent in one direction...

And hedges...

And WN/SN buses and Royal Blue coaches...

And Kelly's ice cream...

And...

And...

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

lots and lots of seagulls

Guard your chips and your ice creams, then! Them's a set of pirates out to loot you.

A problem not unknown in Sydney, such as the restaurants and cafes around Darling Harbour. Water sprays to hand on every table to defend your food!

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

old engine houses

There's already a Kernow/Bachmann one lurking, temporarily, in the background of the last two photos above, in the space between Treloggan Junction and the Polperran backscene.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1