Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Gold

Lovely modelling Derek. I wonder if the term middin used for the earth closet is a northern thing. The term midden is a dungheap  in country places where a few animals were kept the midden would be the dung heap where all the animal dung and the contents of the bucket toilet would be tipped. Farms could have quite a big midden from clearing the barns. Perhaps it is a derivative of that.

Don

• Like 1

I don't know if it is on any help, but an on-line trawl through a West Riding directory of 1881 came up with a number of coal merchants based in Skipton, although there is no way of knowing whether they had wagons or even an office at the station.

J & RW Bower, Mill Lane (Agent Thos. Sandall, Victoria Wharf), Skipton

Henry Robinson and Son, 94 High Street, Newmarket, Skipton

William Robinson, Cross Street and Railway Station, Skipton

Skipton Gas Light and Coke Co.  Mr T Hawkswell

Joseph Smith, New Town, Skipton

Thomas Tryer, Belmont Bridge, Skipton

• Like 1

A quick query about those trees: whilst very picturesque, I wonder would they have grown so high since the railway opened, or do they (and the wall) predate the line? A thing that often strikes me about early railway photos is how new the line looks, and how little the station has bedded into its surroundings, compared to the same locations today - often vanishing under a mass of foliage. Just a thought.

I don't know if it is on any help, but an on-line trawl through a West Riding directory of 1881 came up with a number of coal merchants based in Skipton, although there is no way of knowing whether they had wagons or even an office at the station.

J & RW Bower, Mill Lane (Agent Thos. Sandall, Victoria Wharf), Skipton

Henry Robinson and Son, 94 High Street, Newmarket, Skipton

William Robinson, Cross Street and Railway Station, Skipton

Skipton Gas Light and Coke Co.  Mr T Hawkswell

Joseph Smith, New Town, Skipton

Thomas Tryer, Belmont Bridge, Skipton

Thank you Nick, never heard of any of those. Ok will see if any of them can be included. It would be nice to have a few merchants even if they didn't possess any wagons.

Derek

• Like 2

A quick query about those trees: whilst very picturesque, I wonder would they have grown so high since the railway opened, or do they (and the wall) predate the line? A thing that often strikes me about early railway photos is how new the line looks, and how little the station has bedded into its surroundings, compared to the same locations today - often vanishing under a mass of foliage. Just a thought.

Thank you for that observation islandbridgejct. Actually the same thought struck me whilst planting them. The story is that the station at Kirkby Malham was built after an old wood had been cut down for timber (and lots of money) on the orders of His Lordship when short of a few readies, as a young man.

The trees you see are the sole survivors of Aire Meadow Woods, which were not considered worth felling. The rest is history, the Yorkshire Dales Railway acquired the land, which by that time was pretty derelict, and planned a railway to connect only to Winterburn and Airton. This was in the 1860s. The scheme came to nought and other schemes followed, until at last a viable plan was approved by Parliament and work commenced in 1875 with great enthusiasm. As with many the money ran low and the project came to a stop or at times proceeded at a snails pace. When the Skipton to Leyburn Junction line was started by the Midland, interest in the Kirkby Malham branch was reignited, the Midland also aquiring the land and the workings and completing the project.

By the 1890s the two schemes were completed, and opened to great celebrations in the Craven District.

The Kirkby line was built as a double track affair, the company obviously expecting a large influx of tourists to visit the spectacular rock formations in the craven area, Gordale Scar and Malham Cove. Don't forget the Victorians were beginning to explore the country of their birth and demand was great.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 2

Lovely modelling Derek. I wonder if the term middin used for the earth closet is a northern thing. The term midden is a dungheap in country places where a few animals were kept the midden would be the dung heap where all the animal dung and the contents of the bucket toilet would be tipped. Farms could have quite a big midden from clearing the barns. Perhaps it is a derivative of that.

Don

Don, I guess most of these old words had derivatives all over the country. I don't know if my spelling is correct, I spelt it as my relatives used to say it, so bearing in mind they all spoke with varying depths of Yorkshire dialect mixed with Leeds slang. So it could be anything.

All I remember is going up the street from auntie Mables, with a torch, key and loo roll on a cold winters evening. A very inconvenient convenience, as you might say. If you left the loo roll in the middin it got very damp.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don, I guess most of these old words had derivatives all over the country. I don't know if my spelling is correct, I spelt it as my relatives used to say it, so bearing in mind they all spoke with varying depths of Yorkshire dialect mixed with Leeds slang. So it could be anything.

All I remember is going up the street from auntie Mables, with a torch, key and loo roll on a cold winters evening. A very inconvenient convenience, as you might say. If you left the loo roll in the middin it got very damp.

Derek

Ah we were posh, there was a bath in the kitchen with a geyser such luxury. There was a table top that covered in normally. However the loo was outside with the coal house and unheated of course. Worse though if someone was in the bath you couldn't go into the kitchen and the door to outside was in the kitchen so no access to the loo this with four adults and two kids in the house. You could go out the front door but to get round to the back door was about 3/4 of a mile and in winter if theThames was up the footpath along the front was often flooded. There was a big rumpus when the drains were blocked the cause was found to be glossy magazines no one in the row would admit to be able to afford glossy magazines let alone use them as loo paper (the Daily Mirror was the popular choice in those days). Grandad's sister lived in a small village and had only a standpipe for cold water outside and an earth closet at the end of the garden. When she came to see us she wanted to do the washing up it was a luxury to have hot water out of a tap and a drain instead of taking the bowl outside to empty it. When first married our first two houses had no drainage or hot water until we did something about it (installing septic tanks in both places). You and I were born in a time of change that old way of life has gone.

Don

• Like 2

Ah we were posh, there was a bath in the kitchen with a geyser such luxury. There was a table top that covered in normally. However the loo was outside with the coal house and unheated of course. Worse though if someone was in the bath you couldn't go into the kitchen and the door to outside was in the kitchen so no access to the loo this with four adults and two kids in the house. You could go out the front door but to get round to the back door was about 3/4 of a mile and in winter if theThames was up the footpath along the front was often flooded. There was a big rumpus when the drains were blocked the cause was found to be glossy magazines no one in the row would admit to be able to afford glossy magazines let alone use them as loo paper (the Daily Mirror was the popular choice in those days). Grandad's sister lived in a small village and had only a standpipe for cold water outside and an earth closet at the end of the garden. When she came to see us she wanted to do the washing up it was a luxury to have hot water out of a tap and a drain instead of taking the bowl outside to empty it. When first married our first two houses had no drainage or hot water until we did something about it (installing septic tanks in both places). You and I were born in a time of change that old way of life has gone.

Don

Good job it has gone, and things are much more civilised Don. Couldn't do that sort of thing with my joints as they are now. phew!!!

Derek

Derek,

I have only one word to say, beautiful. 

As I like to add to the thread as well, are those nicely painted figures Langleys shop figures?

Chris, the figures came from all sorts of places, many from Langley. Most were painted by Olga many years ago.

The Staden figures look good.

Derek

• Like 2

Should I feel honoured or insulted? But thank you anyway.

Derek

Whoops, just seen that the last part of my reply disappeared, not sure what I did there but it's not the first time something has been sent whilst I'm still typing.

It should have ended " Especially for one that can only normally see Brunswick green loco's"

Honoured definately

Kevin

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is quite a while since I pot anything on RMW, mainly because there hasn't been much to put on.

The railway room has been cold and my arthritis has played up, so that my enthusiasm for doing any modelling went very far south.  I had, however, decided on trying to get the remaining boards scenified with at least basic scenery.

First, there was a bridge to construct.  This is the one carrying the railway over the infant River Aire, just below the confluence with Gordale Beck.  I was tempted to build it using embossed plastic sheet, but since all the other structures were finished with scribed plaster, decided to stick with that method.

All the pics today are of the various stages in the building of the bridge.  I apologise if this is old hat to many, but it may be useful to someone.

Started off by making a mock-up out of card from  cereal packets, since the bridge carried double track and was on a curve.

When happy, built the basic bridge out of plastikard, then covered with a tin layer of soft (base) plaster.  This is done by mixing a thick creamy 'soup' of the plaster and covering one side of the bridge completely with plaster.

We then have to wait for it to dry, usually next day.  When dry, thoroughly soak in solvent, and when this is dry, usually after an houy or so, we can coat the opposite side of the bridge with the creamy plaster and repeat the whole thing.  It is a bit slow and certainly tedious, especially having to wait for the plaster to dry , but I have always found the final result worth it.  Anyway, it works for me.

When the whole of the structure is covered with plaster, I start to scribe in the stonework.  First, I use a pair of dividers and use them to scribe a series of lines all round.  It gives a datum, so that when scribing by hand, the courses don't go out of the horizontal.

It is a messy job, best not done over the lounge carpet, but it is surprisingly quick.

The pics show the various stages of the construction, and next time I will describe the painting.

You may notice that the 'inside walls' have not been treated.  This is because I am fitting the bridge into a track bed which is already in place, so that the bridge pushes up from below, not the way I usually do things.

I am having problems uploading the pics, will try again later.

Derek

post-6110-0-19892100-1495295654_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-25891300-1495295715_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I can visualise the finished Bridge and your usual standards Derek, so I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

The other pics of the Crimson Lake Loco and Battleship were superb.

• RMweb Premium

It is quite a while since I pot anything on RMW, mainly because there hasn't been much to put on.

The railway room has been cold and my arthritis has played up, so that my enthusiasm for doing any modelling went very far south. I had, however, decided on trying to get the remaining boards scenified with at least basic scenery.

First, there was a bridge to construct. This is the one carrying the railway over the infant River Aire, just below the confluence with Gordale Beck. I was tempted to build it using embossed plastic sheet, but since all the other structures were finished with scribed plaster, decided to stick with that method.

All the pics today are of the various stages in the building of the bridge. I apologise if this is old hat to many, but it may be useful to someone.

Started off by making a mock-up out of card from cereal packets, since the bridge carried double track and was on a curve.

When happy, built the basic bridge out of plastikard, then covered with a tin layer of soft (base) plaster. This is done by mixing a thick creamy 'soup' of the plaster and covering one side of the bridge completely with plaster.

We then have to wait for it to dry, usually next day. When dry, thoroughly soak in solvent, and when this is dry, usually after an houy or so, we can coat the opposite side of the bridge with the creamy plaster and repeat the whole thing. It is a bit slow and certainly tedious, especially having to wait for the plaster to dry , but I have always found the final result worth it. Anyway, it works for me.

When the whole of the structure is covered with plaster, I start to scribe in the stonework. First, I use a pair of dividers and use them to scribe a series of lines all round. It gives a datum, so that when scribing by hand, the courses don't go out of the horizontal.

It is a messy job, best not done over the lounge carpet, but it is surprisingly quick.

The pics show the various stages of the construction, and next time I will describe the painting.

You may notice that the 'inside walls' have not been treated. This is because I am fitting the bridge into a track bed which is already in place, so that the bridge pushes up from below, not the way I usually do things.

I am having problems uploading the pics, will try again later.

Derek

Each to there own, I would always go for a rice crispie packet over a shreddies any day.

Andy