Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Are any of these coaches the ratio ones...

I see you can still get them here and there...  nare they any good?

Andy

Hello wagonbasher, yes, those carriages are ratio. When I built them I didn't know a lot about Midland coaching stock. Come to think of it, I still dont, but the ventilators over the doors were window glass in Midland days. The LMS installed the ventilators ---I think.

Derek

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek,

I have somehow managed to miss this whole thread but have spent a few hours yesterday and today looking through from the first post.

Inspirational !

I shall pay more attention from now on.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am glad you are finding help and can keep on with the modelling. It is very sad when modellers give up because they are finding it harder to do things. At our last place Marion insisted we put in proper stairs rather than a loft ladder. However here I have been alloted ground floor space. Even better.

Enjoyed the photo story.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Derek

what a lot of people don't know is how well it all works. Despite my hamfistedness I spent a delightful afternooon driving trains last Easter and hope to get to see you and Olga again this year (so if you need things moving about and it can wait till then no problem)

As it happens I have just been given a Midland 2F to dcc.. I daren't even open the box to look at it yet...(the last one was a very old Ks Spinner with a Ks MkII motored tender drive.. that took a lot of fettling to get it to work.)

Barry

• RMweb Premium

Derek,

I NEVER tire of looking at your photos. Everything just looks RIGHT, and the cattle dock scene (2nd pic above) and platform/passenger scene (5th pic) are fantastic.

Great stuff!!!!

Jeff

Derek

what a lot of people don't know is how well it all works. Despite my hamfistedness I spent a delightful afternooon driving trains last Easter and hope to get to see you and Olga again this year (so if you need things moving about and it can wait till then no problem)

As it happens I have just been given a Midland 2F to dcc.. I daren't even open the box to look at it yet...(the last one was a very old Ks Spinner with a Ks MkII motored tender drive.. that took a lot of fettling to get it to work.)

Barry

Barry, you have probably seen these pics before, and if you have my apologies for foisting them on you again.

My mate had a K's Midland 2F kit given him. He didn't really want a Midland engine so we shared the kit. He had the wheels, frames (chassis) and motor. I had the body castings. I decided on a 2F with a Kirtley tender, so exchanged the 3250 gallon tender in the kit for one of their Kirtley jobs.

It made up into a fairly decent model, with scratch built frames and initially a K's mark 2 motor and Romford wheels and gears. This was back in the 1970's. Over the years it has acquired a better motor, gearbox and wheels. It picks up the power through both engine and tender so runs reasonably well, but a bit noisy.

The thing you need to watch with this kit is the clearances between the driving wheels and the splashers, especially in EM gauge. If I was doing it again, I would build up the splashers from nickel sheet and cut off the cast ones.

Derek

post-6110-0-60890000-1483993337_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-07183800-1483993460_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

As I posted the last lot of piccies, I realised I had, once again, missed off the main part of my posting.  So here is the rest.  Sorry for being such a numpty.  I will never get to grips with these computer thingies.

I wanted to show the very simple controls I use.  I said in a very early posting that if I used a centralised control panel, as I had on Canal Road, after an hour or two's operating, my joints would seize up and I wouldn't be able to move .

I also decided that there would be a minimum of electrical gubbins under the layout.  So the points are changed using small slide switches and rods under the board linking each switch with its point.  The switch contacts are used to change the polarity of the point depending on how it is set.

So, in this layout, I locate the point switches opposite the points, the section switches near the sections they control and the signal levers by their respective signals.   

Everything is colour coded, so that the switches for points or track sections on the up main (the departure line) have red labels, the down line (arrivals) are blue, the milk dock and loco yard are green and the goods yard are yellow.  In addition, the track section switches have a corresponding label on the front of the facia.

The uncoupling magnets for the Alex Jackson couplings are red push buttons, labelled A,B,C  etc   but in this case the indicators are self adhesive circles high up on the facia and opposite the uncoupling magnets.

I have been a bit lavish with the number of electro magnets and really some will not be used very much, but I had them in my spares box, so may as well use them..

It now means that I can sit on my posh chair to control the locos, but if I need to change the distant points I will have to get up and walk for a few yards.  It all seems to work for me, so I am quite a happy bunny.

Incidentally, the section switches are centre off, two way change over type, bought back in about 1965 from a place in Brighton.  They were, if my memory hasn't gone gagar, advertised as being used in Lancaster bombers.  They are so very reliable with silver contacts.  So my little railway represents a slice of history not connected with railways.

The first three pics show the controls at the main station, the last one is of Hanlith Junction, although on this last one, I have a bit more woodwork to do.

Derek.

post-6110-0-29854100-1483995705_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-66262300-1483995741_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-69124300-1483995800_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-69957200-1483995831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Derek, very simple but very effective, and keeps you on the move.

I do like those proper toggle switches "as used in Lancaster Bombers", I'm glad I started my working career in an era when most of the test gear and electronics still used those instead of push buttons or clickety mice!

There's something very satisfying about the feel of them, and the "clunk" as you switch them...

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

I used three links for Em and now for my 0 gauge. It would be silly having the the yard points worked from a central point so local switches/levers are handy, although a banks of them for the main turnout and signals that would be worked from the box makes sense. However on my 0 gauge shunting layout I swapped the levers for tortoise motors and put the switches in a small hand held box which I taped to the back of the walkabout controller. That worked really well I could follow a train up and down while shunting but still have access to all the controls.

Don

• Like 2

Thanks for that Don, yes as the saying goes "there is more than one way to skin a cat". That is if you want to skin a cat.

But the fund of ideas expressed on RMW is amazing.

Derek

Happy New Year, Derek and Olga. Don't forget if you need something like a board moving please don't hesitate to give me a call. 

Kevin.

• 2 weeks later...

At last I have got down to a bit more actual modelling. For the past few months or so I have been playing. At least I am learning about all the little quirks I managed to build in to the layout. Board 1, containing the buffer stops and part of the village, has been taken down and balanced on my trusty bench. I want to do some sort of scenic treatment on this board. The ground work will be granite setts with a few shops, the Station Hotel and the station masters house. This board will butt up to a narrow board with a row of low relief houses, all nothing at all like the actual Kirkby Malham.

While the board was out, I took a couple of piccies along the line through the station to give some idea of the long curve of the main lines. In one, the local early morning passenger train ex Kettlewell and calling at Grassington and Hanlith with two milk vans has, just arrived. The milk at Kirkby Malham will be loaded, and the vans attached to the next through train to Leeds, for Bells Dairy. This is a weekday (not Monday) working.

My modelling operations will be a bit curtailed in the near future. I will be paying visits to the hospital for various tests etc, with four over the coming two weeks, ending up with a consultation with the cardiologist. Each visit is a round trip of over sixty miles, and bearing in mind I cannot drive myself for these visits, we are fortunate to have some good friends and family.

Derek

post-6110-0-87404600-1485019815_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-63124400-1485019856_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 11