Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Thanks for you comments fellas

Larry it was 100 years ago when I built your well tank. The young children we had then have certainly grown up. The eldest celebrated his 50th birthday this year. My daughter is nearly 48, and the youngest 42. Between them they have produced seven grandchildren for us, phew!!!.

Edwardian, Paul (Worsdell forever)is right. Having said that, he should be, he has seen them often enough. They were built from etched zinc parts by Trevor Charlton. Took me forever to build them, back in the 1980's. They ran extensively on the first Kirkby Malham, which I used to hawk around the exhibitions in the late 80's and through the 90's. There is a fourth six wheeler, a brake third, built from a Slaters(?) etched brass kit. It is waiting for me to fit some new couplings. The leading milk van is scratch built out of plastikard and is very reminiscent of those used on the Somerset and Dorset. The other milk van (fruit and milk van)was an etched brass kit from heaven knows where.

Now to finish off the little bit of operating. I said the milk vans were destined for Bell's Dairy, leeds, so we are waiting for a main line train.

Such a train is timed to arrive at Kirkby Malham at 0705, and the first pic shows a four coach train headed by a Kirtley 800 class 2-4-0. The engine was scratch built about 1972, all painted by Larry.

The second shot shows the engine having arrived, and standing at the end of the platform. Had there been an engine to act as station pilot, it would be much simpler, but a little, almost insignificant station like this does not run to such luxuries.

So, the train engine must do the shunting of the carriages. These engines had screw reverse, so while the passengers were disembarking, the driver would be preparing to reverse the engine.

The third pic was taken as the train was being shunted over the outer crossover to gain the up (departure) line.

Now the loco needs to draw the carriages into the station, uncouple, then the loco runs down to buffer stops. Plenty of work for both driver and fireman on this engine.

The loco now crosses onto down line and when "calling on" signal is pulled off, enters loco yard and on to the turntable.

The fifth pic, loco, having been turned, is picking up the milk vans, draws forward and propels them into the down platform. Very glib of me to say that but just think of all the effort that has gone into it on the part of the loco crew.

The loco and vans now need to get onto the up line via the outer crossover, then reverse to couple up with the carriages and propel the whole train into the departure platform.

The last two piccies show the train departing from Kirkby Malham at 0730.

When arriving at Skipton, there is a change of engines, usually a Deeley 0-6-4 tank loco is used, and arrives at Leeds (Wellington) at 0830.

Hope these very simple moves have been of interest. They do take an inordinate amount of time to carry out

Thank you for staying with me so far.

Derek

post-6110-0-26636400-1478710945_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-36611700-1478710985_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-29409500-1478711025_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-06139500-1478711074_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-44390000-1478711113_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-94805900-1478711160_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-05593600-1478711202_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-14435000-1478711249_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-00243500-1478711285_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 18

Hi Derek, I'm really enjoying these sequences and the period evoked by them.  Sometimes when you look at the turn for a crew, it seems quite easy, off shed, passenger to Kirkby Malham, wait 20 minutes, passenger to Leeds, etc for eight hours (or longer in 1908).  It doesn't indicate the hard graft these men put in, trimming coal, wrestling with brake pipes and couplings, shovelling several tuns of coal, running around with lights, changing gear, topping up the water handling the big leather bags, pinning down brakes on a goods, and often in the pouring rain with one of Mr Johnson's awnings being the only protection. 

It would help, perhaps, if you could insert the pictures so the notes are captions to save me scrolling up and down as I read through.

Another wonderful set. 

That Kirtley 800 class 2-4-0 is another stunner.  Would I be right in thinking that your model is as rebuilt by Johnson?  I seem to recall admiring such a locomotive, once upon a time, on an O Gauge model of Millers Dale.

I wish I had more of a notion of Midland formations and the sorts of coach diagrams used.  One of my would-love-to-model locations would be Marple (MR & GC) around the turn of the century, though I imagine the working of this station was fiendishly busy and complex, and would require a lot of stock, especially if portrayed when it still represented the mainline, with expresses being broken up and reformed all over the shot.

• Like 1

Hi Derek. Posting from my phone so i cant do the likes until i get home from holiday but the pics and sequence are superb and just what i used to enjoy about Pencarne. More of the same from me please. Thanks.

• Like 1

I try to run my Upbech layout allowing time for reversing, connecting and releasing of brakes but then as it doesn't go to exhibitions I can take my time. As it is quite a busy station there is usually another movement that can take place or a train to be got ready. I'm still learning about operation and find layouts such as this a real source of inspiration. Please keep the photos coming.

• Like 2

Thank you all, once again, for the nice comments.

Edwardian, yes, all my Kirtley designed locomotives are as rebuilt by that wonderful artist/engineerJohnson. I once had it in mind to build one of Kirtleys 30 class 2-2-2 tender engines, in the original condition, and, of course, paint it a dark sea green. I even bought the wheels and did the preparatory work, but did not get any further.

Thank you Andy, we'd will, no doubt, see some wiz bangs when you get back. Meanwhile have a good holiday.

Mullie, I agree entirely with your sentiments. People, especially those who are not particularly interested in railways, don't have a clue what goes on in just driving a locomotive, especially a steam loco. Those old drivers were pretty good.

A very good friend of mine used to come to our house for a "running session" on a fairly regular basis. When shunting he slowed the engine down but then reversed it while still in motion. It was OK at home but I did not like that being done when we were exhibiting.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 3

So that is the basic operation of Kirkby Malham. Variation comes with addition of special wagons, which so far I have not included in my day to day train movements. By that I mean the wagons destined for the timber merchants, and the factory next door. I have not yet decided what this establishment does, but being next to a ready source of timber might lead to a furniture factory. Also, out of the scenic section is Kirkby Limes, a limestone quarry bringing the stone to the railway via a narrow gauge tramway, with either continuous rope haulage or narrow gauge locomotives. I was hoping to put the trans-shipment shed near Hanlith Junction but I fear there is not enough room for a convincing scene. So Kirkby Limes is "off stage" and it's existence only becomes apparent when full mineral wagons run into Kirkby Malham station and shunted into a storage siding by the loco shed awaiting a locomotive to take them south into the industrial West Riding, or perhaps north via Grassington to Teesside.

However, having a conversation with Paul (Worsdell forever) at the club last week, he expressed a hope that my operations at Kirkby Malham might include a green locomotive. Since none of my motive power is finished in pre 1883 (Midland Railway)green livery, I can only assume he would like to see a North Eastern Railway working. Well, to make a young man very happy, I will include a working over the MR/NER joint line later.

Derek

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes but being a Durham boy by birth while I like that nice crimson lake colour (also used on NER Carriages) I do like the NER livery - shame they don't do a V or Z in NER livery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes but being a Durham boy by birth while I like that nice crimson lake colour (also used on NER Carriages) I do like the NER livery - shame they don't do a V or Z in NER livery.

Thought everything was black where you came from - including the beach?

• RMweb Premium

Thought everything was black where you came from - including the beach?

No we had green  Met Cam units, Green 40s, 45s and 46s  and the  beach is back to its nice yellow colour...(if you can get onto it(!))

• Like 1

Thank you Al. This loco is built from a Nu Cast kit, with a few modifications. The loco and tender frames are scratch built with the loco compensated, and the tender with split frames. The only pick ups are on the tender wheels. The drive is a DS10 motor and a 80:1 gearbox. It is a joy to operate and was a firm favourite with my fellow operators during my exhibition days, aggravating really, being a North Eastern engine. I only built it in the first place because it was given to me, and my mate was a NER enthusiast. He loved to run it on Canal Road.

Derek

• Like 2

North Eastern Railway goods trains run into Kirkby Malham, via Leyburn Junction to Grassington line.  This is a NER/MR joint line, and gained Royal Ascent under the title of the Wharfedale and Wensleydale Extension Railway, although much of it runs through Coverdale.  from Grassington, the NER has running powers to Kirkby Malham, and operates a goods train on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

On this particular day, the train sets off from Northallerton, running along the Wensleydale line to Leyburn Junction.  From there, it begins the climb to Cam Head Tunnel, the summit of the line. 

So a NER class C 0-6-0 runs along a fairly easy gradient to Middleham, where it drops off general goods wagons plus empty horse boxes..  This station caters for the racing stables, and does have a number of sidings for storage of horse boxes, and loading facilities.

The next station on the line is Coverham, a small affair with only one siding.

Then the train calls at stations at West Scrafton, Horsehouse and Bradley, before the tunnel.  The line comes out of the tunnel in upper Wharfedale and shortly after comes  Kettlewell  station.  Another six miles and Grassington is reached.  from there the train negotiates Hanlith Junction before reaching Kirkby Malham.

The series of pics show the train's progress from Hanlith Junction.  The shunt starts by running round the train, drawing into the reception loop and detaching the brake van

The engine requires to be turned and to do this, runs across the main lines into the loco yard and on to the turntable.

So, that then is the basic operation of Kirkby Malham, with trains coming from two directions.  Unfortunately I don't seem to have got the piccies in the correct order.  I am not very good with all things 'puter and can never get the effect I want.

I hope a;; this has been of some interest.  At least Paul (Worsdell forever) has got his green engine.

Derek

Ah, that's better.

And I thought you meant a Freightliner Class 70. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

Hat, Coat, Walking Stick....... :no: .............................

• Like 1

Just a few more piccies to complete the NER working into Kirkby Malham.

From being turned the C class 0-6-0 shunts the incoming wagons and makes up the train for the return journey to Leyburn Junction. Plenty of exercise for the fireman here, jumping up and down from the engine to do the necessary coupling and uncoupling, although there are a few goods yard men to assist.

If I have got them in the right order, the last few pics show the outward train departing and crossing over from the yard onto the up main at Kirkby south Junction before taking the Grassington curve at Hanlith Junction.

All this shunting and sorting the wagons has taken me something over two hours of real time. The train will call at the intermediate stations on the way back, dropping off some vehicles, and picking up at some of the stations, so the train has been arranged with this in mind, in order to make life a little easier for the loco crew.

I have started to work on board 1 , the one containing the buffer stops and a bit of the village of Kirkby Malham. The scenic work around Hanlith Junction is in abeyance at the moment.

Board 4 will need to come down next to have some slight modifications to the electrics, and while that is being worked on, lay the road along the back. The row of houses have been standing on strips of 2" by 1" for too long.

The timber yard also needs a base, so plenty of work there.

If you are still with me, thanks for looking in.

Derek

post-6110-0-89801400-1479329716_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-21891000-1479329755_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-46630900-1479329794_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-98682700-1479329831_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-97884600-1479329872_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Derek,

I do not usually comment as I like to say something more than, 'those pictures are brilliant and that loco is beautiful. (All Victorian and Edwardian locos are beautiful whatever the colour)'.  The trouble is I have nothing extra to add so I will just have to say:-

Those pictures are brilliant and that loco is beautiful. (All Victorian and Edwardian locos are beautiful whatever the colour).

Thank you Chris. I have to agree with you that all Victorian and Edwardian locos look good. I was toying with modelling the North Staffs many years ago. They had some pretty quaint and attractive engines and being situated right in the middle of some big companies made for an interesting variation in traffic.

Derek

• Like 3