The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

For me, nice to know the remaining Maunsell coaches are on the way. 

Hmmm, slight hint they might announce something soon maybe Warley. Odd they show last years video of the H being prepared for the show, maybe a Q class is on the cards...

Very underwhelming.

Views of items that have been "Coming Soon" for a couple of weeks, and far too much on the allegedly upmarket train sets and packs.

If anything new gets announced at Warley, expect it at least 18 months hence. 

Whoever does the "Engine Shed" nowadays need a clip around the ear with a wet fish

• Like 1

Hmmm, slight hint they might announce something soon maybe Warley. Odd they show last years video of the H being prepared for the show, maybe a Q class is on the cards...

...... yyyyess - I don't recall quite so much Q when the H was drawn out the first time !!?!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Very underwhelming.

Views of items that have been "Coming Soon" for a couple of weeks, and far too much on the allegedly upmarket train sets and packs.

Whoever does the "Engine Shed" nowadays need a clip around the ear with a wet fish

Ouch !  Maybe due to supply chain difficulties ? Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Uncharitable remarks may drive them underground again.We don't want that

• Like 1

Warts & all phots of the Toad. I wonder why they approved for publication, the phots of the side with the wonky footboards? The opposite side seemed fine. Do the PR folk not notice this sort of thing?

P

Very underwhelming.

They said at the start that they had delayed the blog because they were hoping to show us samples. Samples which still have not arrived. And they now hope to have them for Warley I suppose.

New items are indeed coming along very slowly, which they acknowledged was frustrating for us and even more so for them. Too few new items means not enough money coming in the kitty. And if they paid up front.... Frustration is just the beginning of issues they have on hand.

Lets hope they get the manufacturers focussed on new stock ASAP.

Anyone noticed the 'bent' running boards on the guards van ......need to do better me thinks  :triniti:

Warts & all phots of the Toad. I wonder why they approved for publication, the phots of the side with the wonky footboards? The opposite side seemed fine. Do the PR folk not notice this sort of thing?

P

It's just a sample...

Are you familiar with the footboards on the other side of the Mid Suffolk van ??!?

Why? Are you?

Even if I was, Hornby's 140422 with wooden end stanchions doesn't equal MSR's 157787 with steel end stanchions.  :smile_mini:  I prefer to go off original works drawings and even those don't necessarily reflect actuality.

It's just a sample...

A bit like one I've just left with the Doctor.

"Fantastic" PR;    Maybe by showing a faulted "Sample" the aim is to get people talking about it?

Funny how the engineering prototypes were also "just a sample" but they were OK.

Edit to change "I" to "it"

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Ouch !  Maybe due to supply chain difficulties ? Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Uncharitable remarks may drive them underground again.We don't want that

And I don't think any reticence about forthcoming ideas is down to those who prepare The Engine Shed blog as things were very different in the past before the present managerial regime took over.  And neither is the management of the supply chain down to them.

But the nice thing about the latest issue is that it might be a clever way round such 'editorial constrictions' and maybe a Q really is on the cards.

• Like 1

Lovely little machine. Bulleid may not have liked them but at least they had a steam reverser which worked.

post-26289-0-40015700-1541175468_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

It's just a sample...

Disagree with this statement as it's not 'just ' a sample ... In it's place in the marketing it is a show model to promote a forth coming item of sale . To allow a damaged model to appear in such a way to me shows a lack of pride in ones job 

Disagree with this statement as it's not 'just ' a sample ... In it's place in the marketing it is a show model to promote a forth coming item of sale . To allow a damaged model to appear in such a way to me shows a lack of pride in ones job

Each to their own... More sensible people won't worry about a hand finished example and will reserve their judgement for the real deal i.e. a factory finished production sample.

Regarding marketing, 100% of Hornby's customer's don't look at the blog. Only a few do. Most will see it in a shop or on a website. Most will know that damage to one does not mean damage to all.

It has nothing to do with lack of pride. Certainly you overthink minor things like this.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Yet another who misses the point of The Engine Shed.These blogs are meant to demonstrate "works in progress" and to invite constructive advice/suggestions/criticism and not to provoke a scolding such as yours...which is incidentally relatively mild in comparison with some recent posts on this thread,some of which caused deep offence. Remember one of Hornby's R&Dteam occasionally posts here.

Worth bearing in mind too that Hornby do not have to open their doors and that The Engine Shed is just a friendly way of connecting with their client group.It almost disappeared a while ago.Now it's back,let's keep it that way and accept it in the spirit in which it is given.

As one who has,along with several other members of this forum,cooperated with the R & D team in a proactive manner,I know from my own experience that the accusation of a lack of professional pride is completely untrue,unnecessary and distasteful.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 4

Yet another who misses the point of The Engine Shed.These blogs are meant to demonstrate "works in progress" and to invite constructive advice/suggestions/criticism and not to provoke a scolding such as yours...which is incidentally relatively mild in comparison with some recent posts on this thread,some of which caused deep offence. Remember one of Hornby's R&Dteam occasionally posts here.

Worth bearing in mind too that Hornby do not have to open their doors and that The Engine Shed is just a friendly way of connecting with their client group.It almost disappeared a while ago.Now it's back,let's keep it that way and accept it in the spirit in which it is given.

As one who has,along with several other members of this forum,cooperated with the R & D team in a proactive manner,I know from my own experience that the accusation of a lack of professional pride is completely untrue,unnecessary and distasteful.

Well that's put me in my place !!!!, perhaps I should not comment in such a hallowed thread and let the members with a far more inside knowledge point out a very poor marketing clanger ..I shall keep my nose out in future ...maybe !!!

• RMweb Gold

A class of 20, one livery, Black, with 1 SR version, perhaps two “transition” 1948 versions, and late / early crest.

1 preserved thats never gone mainline nor left the Bluebell, which is perhaps the only one most people would buy?

Its doesnt fit the cute little tank engine mantra either.

Doesnt sound the most financially attractive one to me, perhaps maybe they do as everyone else does... Grab the near perfect fit 4f chassis and made a railroad quality model ?

Then again, that hasnt stopped other little black 0-6-0’s being made, though this would be the smallest fleet sized example.

A class of 20, one livery, Black, with 1 SR version, perhaps two “transition” 1948 versions, and late / early crest.

1 preserved thats never gone mainline nor left the Bluebell, which is perhaps the only one most people would buy?

Doesnt sound the most financially attractive one to me, perhaps maybe they do as everyone else does... Grab the near perfect fit 4f chassis and made a railroad quality model ?

Then again, that hasnt stopped other little black 0-6-0’s being made, though this would be the smallest fleet sized example.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time thinking of any 0-6-0 that does mainline work and many other of the 0-6-0s produced to date only ever appeared in black.

Small class maybe, but much loved by SR enthusiasts. I agree that I'm dubious they will do it but it is not entirely in the realm of sci-fi  and other smaller more obscure classes have appeared in R-T-R. The B4 and P class for example. I believe the Q shares a tender with other SR types that Hornby produce too.

• RMweb Gold

There would be several advantages to making the Q (assuming they do make it?).  Firstly it is an 0-6-0 with simple running gear, no visible valve gear and a relatively straightforward body shape - hence it would have lower assembly costs than an outside valvegear anything.  this means it could be sold at a more attractive price and potentially be a good profit maker.  I'm not sure if the tender is already within Hornby's tooling but even if it is they face the problem of their balkanised production arrangement with various factories doing different things or even several factories tooled up to make the same thing with the attendant problem of controlling the tooling and keeping production timely and organised.  But there does seem to be a market for things Southern and a Q would fit nicely within their existing range.

On the other hand it could of course all be a red herring simply put there to have a laugh at what trots out on internet forums or maybe even a 'market tester' for a year or two down the road.  Simple answer is we really don't know and won't know until it is announced - whichever year that might or might not be, if ever.

As I see it, the Q - which was rarely if ever seen in my neck of the Southern woods - would be a natural stepping stone to an L1 ........ which COULD appear in green (  No, Mr. Triang, NOT Brunswick Green ) and would, without much doubt, have somewhat greater RTR appeal. ( and an L to follow, please ! )