The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

As I see it, the Q - which was rarely if ever seen in my neck of the Southern woods - would be a natural stepping stone to an L1 ........ which COULD appear in green (  No, Mr. Triang, NOT Brunswick Green ) and would, without much doubt, have somewhat greater RTR appeal. ( and an L to follow, please ! )

Agree. There is a dearth of SR eastern section 4-4-0.

As I see it, the Q - which was rarely if ever seen in my neck of the Southern woods - would be a natural stepping stone to an L1 ........ which COULD appear in green (  No, Mr. Triang, NOT Brunswick Green ) and would, without much doubt, have somewhat greater RTR appeal. ( and an L to follow, please ! )

And then an L.....

• Like 1

There would be several advantages to making the Q (assuming they do make it?).  Firstly it is an 0-6-0 with simple running gear, no visible valve gear and a relatively straightforward body shape - hence it would have lower assembly costs than an outside valvegear anything.  this means it could be sold at a more attractive price and potentially be a good profit maker.  I'm not sure if the tender is already within Hornby's tooling but even if it is they face the problem of their balkanised production arrangement with various factories doing different things or even several factories tooled up to make the same thing with the attendant problem of controlling the tooling and keeping production timely and organised.  But there does seem to be a market for things Southern and a Q would fit nicely within their existing range.

On the other hand it could of course all be a red herring simply put there to have a laugh at what trots out on internet forums or maybe even a 'market tester' for a year or two down the road.  Simple answer is we really don't know and won't know until it is announced - whichever year that might or might not be, if ever.

Yes. Some years ago, one reaction to rising costs seemed to be to produce black, inside cylindered 0-6-0s. A happy turn of events because they had been much neglected over the years, despite being so numerous on the real railway. Not that I have any objection at all to one appearing in Caley blue.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Do we know when the next Engine Shed is due ? .......  they said 'in a few weeks' at the start of this month and Black Friday would be a good day to announce a big black 0-6-0 that's appeared ever so un-subtly in their videos ! ( with EPs at Warley P'raps ? )

The previous one was on the 2nd of November (delayed October edition). The next one is probably tomorrow if they're showing something at Warley, if not it will be next Friday showing off some latest painted samples and giving a brief report of Warley.

• Like 2

Do we know when the next Engine Shed is due ? .......  they said 'in a few weeks' at the start of this month and Black Friday would be a good day to announce a big black 0-6-0 that's appeared ever so un-subtly in their videos ! ( with EPs at Warley P'raps ? )

Under the current management Hornby appear to want to only announce things at their big event once a year in January.

No more announcements in the Engine Shed or at Warley are likely.

Under the current management Hornby appear to want to only announce things at their big event once a year in January.

I am really hoping for a brand new Class 86/2 electric, despite Heljan's announcement.

I ask Paul every time I see him haha!  Unfortunately Cannot be at Warley this weekend - so I'm asking again now! 

Edited by cravensdmufan
  • Like 1

Well Airfix (owned by Hornby) announced their big new 1/24th Grumman Hellcat at the modellers' equivalent of Warley two weeks ago, so .....

• Like 1

Titled

The Streamlined Princess Coronation Class has arrived!

which is a bit misleading as "has arrived" should really mean its being shipped to dealers, not "we've got some painted samples"...

(And only the blue one at that!)

All the same, the blue bathtub looks stunning. I’ve just spotted the art deco wings on the oil lamps. The nose looks as if it could be opened. Perhaps it’s just intended to look that way because it did open on the real thing (blocking the two adjacent tracks). The sandbox covers also look like the real thing – intended to open.

Flanged trailing wheels and a shorter coupling bar provided as an extra would complete it nicely.

The blog also linked to a video of Sir Francis Drake in SR Olive livery, will Hornby have coaches to match?

It would be a pity if Hornby didn't release accurate LMS coaches to run with the Caledonian Blue Pacific.

• RMweb Gold

The blog also linked to a video of Sir Francis Drake in SR Olive livery, will Hornby have coaches to match?

It would be a pity if Hornby didn't release accurate LMS coaches to run with the Caledonian Blue Pacific.

It does have good Stanier coches in LMS livery but don’t hold your breath for blue/red and gold.Be content with the plain variety for now. You can also use GWR Colletts btw.on North to West trains to and from Shrewsbury. Edited by Ian Hargrave

It does have good Stanier coches in LMS livery but don’t hold your breath for blue/red and gold.Be content with the plain variety for now. You can also use GWR Colletts btw.on North to West trains to and from Shrewsbury.

I wonder if they did a Crewe, Shrewsbury, Wellington, Stafford test runs?

• RMweb Premium

The Caledonian Blue Coronations were employed on Mid-day Scot runs, so would pair up with standard PIII Stanier stock...

• Like 1

The Caledonian Blue Coronations were employed on Mid-day Scot runs, so would pair up with standard PIII Stanier stock...

I'm not sure if blue Coronation carriages are still being made by Hornby but the old tooling still looks pretty in my eyes.

And as Islesy correctly points out the blue engines often ran with conventional LMS Stanier carriages.

Beautiful evocative engine, I can't wait! :)

The old carriages will go for gold on Ebay!

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if blue Coronation carriages are still being made by Hornby but the old tooling still looks pretty in my eyes.

... but were very wide of the mark. The 1937 Coronation Scot sets were made up of 57ft Period 3 carriages: open firsts and thirds (all classifed as restaurant) which differed from Hornby's current corridor firsts and thirds in that the lavatories rather than the doors were at the extreme ends of the carriage; brake firsts not offered by Hornby at all; corridor firsts and brake thirds which Hornby do do; and 50ft kitchen cars. These carriages had a pressure ventilation system, which involved an additional duct along the roof.

Sets were formed BFK/FK/RFO/RK/RTO/RTO/RK/RTO/BTK. These sets were in service for two years, then were laid up until returned to traffic as individual carriages in the standard livery in 1947. So, the puritanical finescale policeman in me says, rather limited usefulness to anyone without the space to model a stretch of the West Coast Main Line between June 1937 and August 1939... But hey, who could resist?

The Period 3 open third was built in large numbers and so would be a sensible addition to Hornby's range.

EDIT: The three restaurant open firsts were 65ft not 57ft, converted from carriages built to D1902 in 1934.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

And as Islesy correctly points out the blue engines often ran with conventional LMS Stanier carriages.

Beautiful evocative engine, I can't wait! :)

The old carriages will go for gold on Ebay!

The Coronation coaches of old do seem to fetch decent cash on Ebay etc, especially the blue ones.

Hornby's 3-coach pack for the Coronations now available (eg https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35941/Hornby-r4873-oo-gauge-lms-coronation-scot-3-car-coach-pack)works out at around £20 per coach, but they're in crimson not blue, so I'll be going for one of the new crimson streamliners, tempting though the blue one is!

cheers,

Keith