Elsbridge Tramway Company: Elsbridge Town - NeilHB's layout

NeilHB

• RMweb Gold

I agree Gavin - such a great shop. Used to be even better when he had a shop in Oadby where I grew up - was an even more frequent visitor then! A day out on the GCR was always followed by a visit to the shop :)

Thanks re the coaches - quite pleased with how they are turning out so far.

Martin - it’s definitely fun! Though I do still like my prototype modelling, and there are a few Furness Railway projects still to be finished off for use over on Duddon Bridge as well when I’ve finished this lot off.

• Like 2

I'm loving these rolling stock projects of yours. I'm starting to think that I will go free-lance instead of prototype modelling. It just seems so much more fun!

Martin,

Just mix the two if you are torn; a light railway or industrial line alongside a mainline. I am thinking about a freelance light railway for the Manning Wardle K to go alongside my Hudswell Clarke. Track will probably be Code 100 rail on laser-cut sleepers. 

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No modelling tonight - unless you count last minute preparations for the 7mmNGA’s annual Exhibition at Burton.

Folding and stuffing lots of show guides, and creating name badges for all our exhibitors...half way through so far and given up till tomorrow night now!

• Like 2

Little bit of progress on finishing the tramcar over the last few days in between DIY and what felt like hundreds of trips to the tip!

attachicon.gifD8C71412-105D-4D4B-8971-FC5BE2D190B5.jpeg

I’ve now sorted out the doors into the Saloon, with beading and windows added. I’ve then added another step to each end (on one side so far at least), as they were still quite high off the ground, even with the smaller wheels.

Today’s project has been an attempt to finish off a project started some time ago, and put to one side because at the time I wasn’t happy with it. Some years ago Giles Barnabe wrote an article in Scale Model Trains, about using Peco’s 7mmNG coach sides to create a small standard gauge 4-wheel coach for his Stratford Waterside layout. I was rather intrigued by this as I like things a bit out of the ordinary, so purchased two packs of sides from the annual Trent Valley Open Day last January. I had originally planned to make a couple of small mods to the beading as it is supplied, but couldn’t get it to look right and left it for the best part of a year whilst I decided what to do.

So I took the plunge this morning and put the chisel blade in the craft knife, and all the beading and raised detail on the sides was dutifully removed, effectively leaving me with a nice blank canvas. Out came the micro strip, and the results can be seen below:

attachicon.gif204D859C-BAD3-4B49-8270-085B4C6EDD86.jpeg

attachicon.gif675E5640-6D78-4559-B5D1-52FDF1B3FA7F.jpeg

I decided that as I’d removed all the detail, I might as well go the whole hog and make it into a brake coach at the same time, with a luggage compartment with double doors at one end.

I’m rather pleased with how it’s turned out. I just need to find some buffers from the spares box and sort the buffer beams out, plus seating for the two third class compartments.

What do you all think?

These are looking very good, Neil, and I thin the NG to SG coach conversion is very effective.  I assume it's a Brake Third, as the compartment spacings suggest Third, and as sun the half-height partition is a nice authentic touch.

Really rather pleased with how the cream waist panels have come out on the Third/First composite made from Peco coach parts:

attachicon.gifE2C086B7-DC5E-4743-AB74-7163590BE2ED.jpeg

I think another coat/wash of the cream should see them completed nicely.

attachicon.gifD08A959B-4C14-412D-9425-E07F75BBA6FB.jpeg

A little project I’ve been working on for the last couple of days - scratchbuilt Milk Van, based on a Slater’s MR 11ft chassis. Don’t suppose anyone happens to have a copy of the instructions going spare for this chassis kit please? I’ve mislaid mine and need to order some more of the brake gear sprues that come with the kit.

Body is just styrene strip - the pack I think came from The Signal Box at Anstey - it’s been quite a few years since I was last there, so goodness knows how long it’s been in the modelling box waiting to be used!

Pleased with how this is turning out so far, just need to sort out the ends for the body next.

Very smart coach, and I like the milk van.

Skinny Linny of this parish laser cut something similar in 4mm, based on the NWR one seen in, I think, Branch Line Engines, and he has kindly supplied the West Norfolk with them too.  There they have been dubbed "condensed milk vans".

post-25673-0-84593400-1528322755_thumb.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James - this is actually the second ‘condensed milk van’ that I’ve built. The first one was my very first successful attempt at scratch building a wagon in 7mm scale, a good 10-11 years ago now and based off the illustrations from ‘Branch Line Engines’. Originally I built it around a Triang Big-Big mineral wagon chassis, but it’s since been rebuilt a couple of times, and is now currently looking like the photo below:

post-1365-0-14251900-1528350464_thumb.jpeg

The current build is I think slightly longer, and is actually intended for use over on Duddon Bridge where it will serve the creamery at Ulpha. I must dig the first one out and photograph the two together. I believe that a number of them were built by the S. Linny Carriage and Wagon Works for several different railways over the years.

Yes the NG to SG conversion has worked surprisingly well, I really am rather pleased with how it’s turned out. Yes definitely a third class brake coach - there are some rather uncomfortable looking wooden seats in the third class compartments - I really wouldn’t like to travel any distance sat on them!

Edited by NeilHB
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I do like your free lance coaches, very effective. Have you mentioned what chassis and underframe bits you have used ? I do think a lot of us are going to have a bash at a light railway what with all the lightlocos coming along, just need some coaches !

I have indeed produced one of these, in 0 scale as well, albeit to a rather less fine-scale appearance!

post-793-0-47330500-1529418538_thumb.jpg

It's based on my design drawn up for use in 4mm scale (indeed, taken from Branch Line Engines):

post-793-0-11250000-1529418671_thumb.jpg

Both of mine are designed to fit proprietary RTR chassis. It's certainly nice to see someone else's interpretation of this vehicle, especially so nicely carried out!

PS It's amazing how far the wagons and coaches of L. Linehan and Siblings have spread across the UK, seemingly being very popular with light railway companies!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I do like your free lance coaches, very effective. Have you mentioned what chassis and underframe bits you have used ? I do think a lot of us are going to have a bash at a light railway what with all the lightlocos coming along, just need some coaches !

Thanks toffee, much appreciated. 

Chassis' are mostly built from styrene strip - I use Evergreen No.179 which is .100"x.250" (2.5mm x 6.3mm) and is roughly the right size for timber underframes. Axleboxes are usually whitemetal to provide some low down weight, and I tend to buy mine from Invertrains (no connection, other than a very satisfied customer) as he sells a nice selection of pre-grouping axleboxes (and buffers too). 

post-1365-0-26148200-1529423296_thumb.jpg

This is the underside of the 3-compartment 1st/3rd coach from the previous page - nothing complicated about the construction of the chassis, other than ensuring that the ends of the styrene section is squarely cut and they are all the same size when cut. Buffers on this one are Parkside LMS Brake Van buffers. I'm very much of the opinion that if I think it will look right, then I'll use it. Plus the Parkside buffers are cheap, and easy to assemble! 

The same method of construction has been used here for the North Western Railway Milk Van: 

post-1365-0-51298100-1529423356_thumb.jpg

This has been fitted with Slater's plastic brakegear from their Midland Railway 11ft w/b chassis kit. Slater's will also sell their components separately, as long as you have the correct item reference number as found on their instruction sheets. 

I have indeed produced one of these, in 0 scale as well, albeit to a rather less fine-scale appearance!

attachicon.gifMilk Van (Three-Quarter).jpg

It's based on my design drawn up for use in 4mm scale (indeed, taken from Branch Line Engines):

attachicon.gifDSC_1289.JPG

Both of mine are designed to fit proprietary RTR chassis. It's certainly nice to see someone else's interpretation of this vehicle, especially so nicely carried out!

PS It's amazing how far the wagons and coaches of L. Linehan and Siblings have spread across the UK, seemingly being very popular with light railway companies!

Thanks Linny, both your 4mm and 7mm versions look rather good! Indeed it was seeing the photos of your 4mm version that prompted me to build another one - 

post-1365-0-85669200-1529423318_thumb.jpg

post-1365-0-60021300-1529423337_thumb.jpg

Both my models next to each other. The lighter brown one is the original model from a number of years ago, now on its second chassis. The dark brown one (undercoat at this stage) is the one I've been building recently on the Slaters MR 11ft w/b chassis kit. 

Despite both of them having the same 11ft wheelbase (pure coincidence), there is a good 10mm or so difference in length between them - with the newer one being the longer, as well as being marginally taller compared to the original. 

Eagle eyed readers may well spot the differences between the two sides of the newer model...

Still a way to go on the newer model, including brakegear and buffers, but it is coming along nicely now. It'll probably end up in a similar colour to the older model, which is Precision Paints P60 LNER Coach Teak (Dull). 

Edited by NeilHB
  • Like 8

Really am impressed with this rolling stock. Using classic methods which aren't seen too often these days mixed with Peco parts and evergreen to produce simple but effective light Railway stock, well done !

• RMweb Gold

Just a couple of photos showing that the same method is also used for my dumb buffered goods wagons. There is a small, slowly expanding fleet of these, all of which run on a variety of underframe parts. Those fitted to this example are from a slaters, and obtained from Hobby Holidays at an exhibition. I believe that the W-Irons come from their Midland Railway kits, and the axle boxes are spares from their Gloucester PO wagon kits. Brake gear again is Slaters - 9ft w/b this time:

post-1365-0-85437000-1529482635_thumb.jpeg

post-1365-0-28707800-1529482646_thumb.jpeg

Must sort out a body to go on this chassis!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on the bodywork for the next dumb buffered open tonight, using the chassis seen earlier today:

post-1365-0-77655900-1529528744_thumb.jpeg

More detailing to follow tomorrow, but quite pleased with how it’s coming along so far.

• Like 13

Just finished reading through this. Nice work, Neil. Very nice work indeed.

One thing I have to ask though and I'm surprised nobody else has. And I know it's too early, but it's Elsbridge Wharf.

WHERE'S PERCY? xD

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• RMweb Gold

Just finished reading through this. Nice work, Neil. Very nice work indeed.

One thing I have to ask though and I'm surprised nobody else has. And I know it's too early, but it's Elsbridge Wharf.

WHERE'S PERCY? xD

Thanks RedGemAlchemist.

Percy, well one day he may appear, but if he does, it won’t be for a while yet. I need to pluck up the courage to tackle scratchbuilding an outside cylindered chassis first!

Dude, your wagon looks DUMB! :D

...in a good way.

Perky?

Noooooo, way too early.

IOS says arrived 1949, I call poo poo and say early to mid 30's, loads of reasons and not posting here. PM me if interested.

0 Gauge Perky would be cool either way.

Edited by Knuckles

• RMweb Gold

Dude, your wagon looks DUMB! :D

...in a good way.

Perky?

Noooooo, way too early.

IOS says arrived 1949, I call poo poo and say early to mid 30's, loads of reasons and not posting here. PM me if interested.

0 Gauge Perky would be cool either way.

Haha thanks Gavin!

I agree - way too early for Perky! But then the layout is also way too early for Toby, Henrietta and Elsie, but they were a must have!

Agree with you re the date of arrival - mid 30s at the very latest.

Yes an 0 gauge version would be good to have - one day I’ll get a round tuit...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Little bit more work on the dumb buffered open last night - starting to add the strapping and the corner plates. Just the end stanchions to go and the interior strapping:

post-1365-0-89364300-1529652862_thumb.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Elsbridge Wharf might get an appearance from one of the Coffepot Engines. Would be a fun project methinks!

It definitely will Martin - I’ve got most, if not all of the parts to build one, maybe two of them. I just need to find some time to sit down and draw it all out first before I put scalpel to plastic...

• RMweb Gold

Bit more progress made on a couple of items tonight, with the assistance of trusty helper No.1:

post-1365-0-43933800-1530211056_thumb.jpeg

I’ve finally managed to sort out the steps on the tramcar - these ones look much better than the two previous attempts. They did involve a serious bit of butchery to the end balconies, which have been reduced in width quite significantly! Each step is made from 4 pieces of 4.8mm styrene L section glued together, they are fairly robust, plus they don’t stick out wider than the ends of the bufferbeams so all is good.

post-1365-0-76606800-1530210910_thumb.jpeg

post-1365-0-49209600-1530210923_thumb.jpeg

Really must paint the doors, and decide what I’m doing for the railings too!

Next up the dumb buffered wagon is now structurally complete.

post-1365-0-34807300-1530210941_thumb.jpeg

I’ve been doodling items during my lunch break at work over the last couple of days, whilst Duddon Bridge is the main focus at the moment, at some point in the near future I do want to build myself a small layout to operate at home.

I’ve borrowed one of Iain Rice’s plans from the Creating Cameo Layouts book, and tweaked it slightly to give two different options...

First up:

post-1365-0-85227500-1530210996_thumb.jpeg

Elsbridge (Wharf) - obviously designed to give the coffeepots somewhere to run, plus my tramcars and assorted older goods wagons. The station itself is at the rear of the layout, with the platform mostly covered by the trainshed. Front left is the goods shed, and the kickback siding off this serves the dairy at the front right, this will mask the fiddleyard. Trains will predominantly be mixed, which will enable a spot of shunting to take place with each train - having the platform line separate from the run round loop will enable a bit more interest with having to set back to access the loop itself.

Next up:

post-1365-0-11558900-1530211011_thumb.jpeg

Anopha - somewhere inside the quarry workings at the end of the quarry tramroad from Ffarquhar. Again it’s a home for the coffee pots, plus somewhere to run NWR No.7 as well. Plenty of shunting opportunities involving the stone cutting sheds at the back right of the layout. I’ve assumed that the line between that and the loco shed (front right) leads off to the current quarry face. Loads of quarried stone are brought to the cutting sheds in dumb buffered low sides, shunted in and then unloaded. The internal user wagons then either go back to the quarry face, or shunted into the front left siding. Eventually when the stone has been cut, the ‘main line’ wagons are shunted into the shed, loaded, and then depart to the exchange sidings off scene to the left hand end of the layout. Traffic is mostly quarry related, plus the occasional load of coal for the loco shed, and an old loco tender containing water for the quarry itself.

What do folks think?

Edited by NeilHB
  • Like 12

They both sound delightful

Despite sharing a trackplan they would be very different layouts to look at and operate with one being a freight only industrial layout and the other a light railway terminus with a certain Wantage flavour.

• 2 weeks later...

Neil,

I love everything about this thread and your work - the 'prototype', the idea, vision, ingenuity, creativity, resourcefulness, the fun.... it reminds why I love railways and railway modelling!! I cannot really say any more than that really!

Thank you for sharing and inspiring me. Keep the updates coming.

All the best,

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

I love everything about this thread and your work - the 'prototype', the idea, vision, ingenuity, creativity, resourcefulness, the fun.... it reminds why I love railways and railway modelling!! I cannot really say any more than that really!

Thank you for sharing and inspiring me. Keep the updates coming.

All the best,

David

Thanks David, much appreciated :)