Elsbridge Tramway Company: Elsbridge Town - NeilHB's layout

NeilHB

• RMweb Gold

Both layout ideas sound great. Could you do both and have one lead into the other perhaps? I love the idea of the tram shed-type roof.

Thanks Corbs, I’d love to build both layouts, but lack of space means it’s one or the other.

I love the tram shed type roof as well, and I think it’s probably likely that out of the two, Elsbridge is the more likely to appear as it’s the one I really want to build. Just every so often I get an urge to model the inner workings of Anopha quarry!

• RMweb Gold

I think there is definitely potential for more traffic variety with Elsbridge. Anopha would be basically just quarry traffic. Whereas Elsbridge has the potential for passenger, freight, traffic to and from St Pedrocs Dairy, plus the occasional wagon from the mines at Toryreck too.

Elsbridge would have a greater variety, but quarry traffic isn’t all uninteresting. Aside from empties in and stone out, there would be various vans of supplies, flat trucks of engineering equipment and of course the quarrymen in and out each shift!

Agreed that quarry traffic is interesting!

Neil, have you an idea of what would be the basis of your standard quarry stone open wagon? A standard RCH type or something different?

Edited by south_tyne

• RMweb Gold

Apologies south_tyne, I've only just noticed your message, 

I think standard quarry open would probably be an RCH 1923 design, or a Gloucester 5 plank for an older design that could have been cast-offs from one of the earlier Sudrian companies. 

Apologies south_tyne, I've only just noticed your message,

I think standard quarry open would probably be an RCH 1923 design, or a Gloucester 5 plank for an older design that could have been cast-offs from one of the earlier Sudrian companies.

Hi Neil, no need to apologise at all, I appreciate the response! That's great :) as I've said, I love the modeeling and the creativity on show here and follow any update of your progress with great interest!

David

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It’s been a while since I’ve picked up the stock for Elsbridge (Wharf), but tonight I finally did some more work on some of them.

post-1365-0-85376900-1538682764_thumb.jpeg

The single plank open seen a number of pages back has had a complete body rebuild, and now looks much better for it. I’ve also modified the axleboxes somewhat in an effort to hide their (Midland Railway I think?) origins. Seen here with the 4-plank open completed recently.

I have another three resin-bodied dumb buffer opens to finish at some point, courtesy of Phil at Port Wynnstay, but need to sort out axleboxes and wheels etc. first before they progress to the workbench.

I’ve also done a bit more on the second tramcar, which I don’t think I’ve shown on here before. This will be pretty much identical to the first one, but probably a First/Third composite rather than All-Third like the first one.

post-1365-0-90685500-1538682774_thumb.jpeg

I have enough parts to build a third one of these, but fancy doing something a bit like this rather delightful preserved example from Stoomcentrum Maldegem (the locos a bit lovely too I must admit!)

post-1365-0-10276300-1538683292_thumb.jpeg

More progress as and when in my usual ad-hoc manner I’m sure!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

No clue as to the reasoning behind the bucket unfortunately gents. I don't think it's for sanding purposes, as it doesn't appear in all of the photos that I've seen of the loco. 

• RMweb Gold

Some progress this evening on the First/Third tramcar:

post-1365-0-81311600-1538769889_thumb.jpeg

Beading added to both ends, plus the lower strip on each side to form the waist panels. I’ve then cut away the surplus balcony at each end to create the recess for the steps, and added the chassis timbers.

I was going to attempt the interior partition tonight, but I have now been claimed for kitty fuss and am unable to move...

post-1365-0-16987800-1538770343_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon has been very productive. The workshops at Elsbridge have been very busy with the First/Third tramcar, which is moving swiftly towards the finish line:

post-1365-0-93794800-1538851720_thumb.jpeg

Wheels etc. added - these are from the Slaters chassis extras kit for their Shockwagon. Usually they provide two different types of springs, the ones fitted here, and a wagon type of spring. Different axleboxes are also provided too, plus brakegear. A very useful set of parts in all!

post-1365-0-75022600-1538851742_thumb.jpeg

It’s also gained an interior. 1st class seats from Slaters. I think the seating in the 3rd class section came from Phoenix Precision Paints.

post-1365-0-41582800-1538851752_thumb.jpeg

And then there were two! Some detail differences between the two - see if you spot them...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Knuckles - it’s fairly easy, until you muck up a part and have to start again! The interior partition that is fixed is attempt no.3...! :-)

I must admit I do find it very relaxing though, and the cost is fairly minimal as a couple of packs of micro strip and a few sheets of plastic soon spread their coat out over a number of wagons etc.

I’ve made a start on one of the resin dumb buffered opens from Phil at Port Wynnstay this morning. These are from his pile of rejects, and I was very happy to give them a new home when offered - thanks Phil!

The running gear is a real hotch potch of parts from the numerous spares boxes. The H-irons are those sold by Paul at EDM Models, and used in a number of SG kits from Port Wynnstay. The axleboxes are spares from Slaters Gloucester wagon kits, with a bit of modification. The springs again are Slaters and are from their shockwagon chassis parts kit.

post-1365-0-88237700-1538899816_thumb.jpeg

I think this looks ok so far, the bodies are for Caledonian Railway pig iron wagons, but here they are Knapford and Elsbridge opens, predominantly used for carrying lead ore from the mines at Toryreck to the harbour at Knapford.

Does the axlebox, springing and H-iron arrangement look ok?

• Like 6