Elsbridge Tramway Company: Elsbridge Town - NeilHB's layout

NeilHB

• RMweb Gold

raymw and Dave - thanks for the tips - much appreciated. It's just a plasticard body so I may attempt to heat the pins for the other side if I feel confident enough. Failing that I'll try the 1mm drill bit and see if that works...hopefully I won't break that one too...!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much progress to report for the last few weeks...that is until the last couple of days when I realised it was the Derby show (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95551-derby-the-roundhouse-9-10-may-2015/page-3 come and say hello - will be on the 7mmNGA stand on Saturday) this weekend and that I'm down to help out and show off some bits...bit of a kick up the rear!

So nothing like a deadline to spur you into action.

First up is the now completed Peco/7mmNGA bogie coach kit:

post-1365-0-42229900-1431109402_thumb.jpg

Followed by a selection of W&SR stock for running on Elsbridge Wharf in its later period:

post-1365-0-84408100-1431109505_thumb.jpg

4 completed opens - 3 Slaters kits and 1 resin open from Hobby Holidays. All need transfers but as I haven't got any that will do that can wait for another day!

post-1365-0-60289400-1431109591_thumb.jpg

W&S brakevan from a Meteor models kit - I think the prototype is ex Glasgow and South Western Railway.

post-1365-0-60827000-1431109653_thumb.jpg

W&S 4-wheel brake coach built from Slaters MR coach parts - just needs buffers and running boards to complete (oh and glazing too - might be a bit breezy otherwise!)

post-1365-0-85054600-1431109747_thumb.jpg

NWR No.7 has had a repaint of the sideskirts - I quite like the black skirts so these will stay. Just need to paint the bufferbeams tonight then all is good.

post-1365-0-17384200-1431109827_thumb.jpg

Oh look another loco...oops! So my cunning plan to create a Manning Wardle from an Ixion HC is starting to take shape...it's about as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University :)

So far I've cut down the cab to level with the bottom of the sidesheet cut outs and removed the safety valves. The smokebox will be a bit more tricky as there is a gert big lump of metal in the way...some severe hacking of the S&D models Manning Wardle smokebox may be required (that or a plasticard replacement).

Chimney and safety valve bonnet are from S&D models and the spectacle plate is a leftover from an ancient project that never got going. There's a little box of MW bits from S&D models intended for this project which are rather nice! I need to find a way to reshape the saddle tank to give it more of a MW look but that can wait for another day.

If you're at the Derby show tomorrow come and say hi!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh look...another engine...oops!

post-1365-0-68892000-1432064303_thumb.jpg

Managed to snag a bargain on eBay over the weekend - a part built Slaters Manning Wardle F class - destined to become Wellsworth & Suddery Railway No.1. Now comes the dilemma - a while back I had some nameplates etched by the excellent guys at Narrowplanet - the plan was for No.1 to be 'Wellsworth' however a quick placing of the nameplate on the tank made it seem, well, a bit big...

post-1365-0-60855000-1432064709_thumb.jpg

So I tried out the nameplate for No.2 'Suddery'...

post-1365-0-23696400-1432064754_thumb.jpg

Much better I think and much more in keeping with the size of the loco - nameplate nearly being bigger than the loco...!

Lastly I've managed to finish off another 3 wagons - these are Knapford & Elsbridge Railway wagons hence the different livery - still need to find a suitable source of transfers though - suggestions welcome please RMWebbers!

post-1365-0-82426600-1432064805_thumb.jpg

Left to right we have: scratchbuilt freelance dumb buffered open (the first of many - worked out I need at least 9 more in various sizes...), Duncan Models 6Ton dumb buffered open, Midland Railway 8Ton van.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

As you have a fictitious railway, then no one can tell you the transfers are wrong - in which case, have a look at what Paul Martin has with him on the EDM Models stand at the Burton Narrow Gauge show next month. He stocks a variety of American transfers designed for 1/48 On3 / On30 stock and you might just find something a bit different there.

• 3 months later...

How do you plan on signalling the layout? Post grouping days I imagine Furness Railway signalling would be adopted, I doubt Sodor would use its own signalling style and would piggy back off the system of another company, the FR is the obvious choice for uniformity with their neighbouring mainland company, what do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Rhys, sorry completely missed your post! At the moment to be honest I'm not entirely sure - I'm vaguely working on the idea of one engine in steam principle so probably little to no signalling...if there is signalling I'm inclined to agree with you on adopting Furness Railway practice. Also still need to settle on a track plan first before I decide on signalling or not...!

Last weekend I had my first ever visit to the Guildex show at Telford - needless to say I loved it and am now considerably poorer!

post-1365-0-21200000-1442000159_thumb.jpg

Nice little haul of goodies! Petite Properties 'Cemetery Lodge' building kit - very nice set of laser cut parts for a good sized building - just the basic framework but for a penny shy of twenty quid how could I say no! A second dumb buffered open courtesy of Duncan Models, and a very nice part-built etched brass 4-wheel chassis -not sure what it will be yet but current thinking is a dumpy little brakevan...

Next up is a very very nice Hurn Models LSWR goods guards van of 1875 vintage - set of beautifully cast resin parts with a lovely etched brass birdcage - lovely stuff! Set of 3 Wrightlines Talyllyn Railway wagons to add to my ever increasing collection (plus some spare buffers). Bit of an impulse purchase next which was the last Zero Zephyrs WWI standard gauge simplex...very nice but no instructions! Lastly but no means least - copper clad sleepers so that I can actually start building (read fail miserably) to build some suitably light weight track.

post-1365-0-48038700-1442000214_thumb.jpg

Oh dear - it exploded! It all seriousness I am rather impressed with the new Dapol Terrier! I've had mine a week now, having pre-ordered it many months ago with a view to it becoming Wellsworth & Suddery Railway No.3 'Crosby' - when it arrived I ummed and aahed about re painting it as it's very nicely finished - finally bit the bullet last night and decided to dismantle it to make a start on repainting - surprised just how many bits are separately applied. Still undecided on colour scheme - I was thinking a similar green to my Ixion Hudswell Clarke (WSR No.4 'Brendam') but am also thinking about a nice Indian Red livery not too dissimilar to the Furness Railway...decisions decisions - suggestions welcome please!

• Like 4

No problem, I find updates to some followed topics don't always show up so I know what it's like.

Pregrouping I think you're probably right considering the size the company would have been at the time probably signalling would have been quite sparse.

You're a braver man than I painting over such a beautiful livery however I must say I do like the sound of the Indian red (ulterior motive alert) I have plans to paint a terrier midland livery for a pregrouping project of my own (not actually MR but stealing the livery) so to see one in a similar colour would show me whether it works or not. Also I think in green in may look too much like the Terrier that ended up on the GW so that may be worth bearing in mind too

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Last weekend I had my first ever visit to the Guildex show at Telford - needless to say I loved it and am now considerably poorer!

Hopefully my very recent purchase from you has eased the financial pressure a little . . . . .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Decided that a red colour scheme was the way forward:

post-1365-0-44848500-1442075221_thumb.jpg

It's not strictly Indian Red but actually I rather like it - range of Acrylic spray paints from Homebase called Rust-oleum - paint is 'Balmoral' - bit of touching up here and there needed and then I need to decide what colour to paint the wheels, I thought about black but now I'm not sure. Will have to see if there is a paintable version of the paint as I don't fancy spraying the wheels.

I couldn't resist temporarily adding the name and number plates to give the loco her identity - I'm thinking that painted shaded lettering LBSC style may be the way forward...

post-1365-0-18311100-1442075490_thumb.jpg

Obviously still a way to go yet, various bits of painting still to do and a decision about lining needs to be made: orange/black/orange - or just a simple black line?

• Like 4

I love that terrier, the red suits it well, I think I'll carry on with my own red terrier eventually. I agree with the lettering I think it'll look superb.

Your work has inspired me to get started on my first sudrian rolling stock, post 1951 Kildane accident Kipper vans. The originals would have been seriously damaged so I reckon new modern ones would have been built so that's what I'm modelling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rhys! I like the sound of your plan - I always thought that the Great Centrals bogie fish vans would have been ideal for the Flying Kipper - not sure about the date of the Kildane accident though as I always thought it was sometime in the 1930s (ties in with the arrival of No.6 and Stanier still being at Crewe then) - what are you thinking of using for the kipper vans?

Thanks Martin - I will try the spray paint into a jar method and so how that goes.

Thanks Rhys! I like the sound of your plan - I always thought that the Great Centrals bogie fish vans would have been ideal for the Flying Kipper - not sure about the date of the Kildane accident though as I always thought it was sometime in the 1930s (ties in with the arrival of No.6 and Stanier still being at Crewe then) - what are you thinking of using for the kipper vans?

Thanks Martin - I will try the spray paint into a jar method and so how that goes.

I think you'd be right there and it would seem likely what with Sir Tophamms canny purchases however even by the 1930s they were getting on a bit and were positively ancient by 1951 (plus the kits are expensive whereas I already had a number of vans given to me free and I'm incredibly cheap)

They are Hornby VDA vans with the strapping and ribs removed, the two middle doors removed (in retrospect I should have removed the end doors but oh well) painted brown. I will be replacing the awful axle boxes too when I know what to replace them with. They look great posed behind my existed black five and will look great when behind a suitably liveried No.3. I'm tempted to equip No.3 with a Westinghouse pump and have the vans air braked?

As for the date of the accident, it depends who you ask. Rev Awdry set it in 1935 but Christopher set it in 1951. I'm inclined to agree with Christopher as the foreword three books previous mentions nationalisation placing the date of the accident in 1951. The way I see it is the rebuild was agreed with Stanier and booked in at Crewe however No.3 couldn't be spared due to wartime and post war traffic. When the accident occurred in 1951 the opportunity was taken to use the rebuild slot allotted to the NWR at Crewe BR simply facilitated what had already been arranged. No.3 would probably have returned with the later Ivatt boiler and wheelbase (I think the boiler type matches the one in the illustrations anyway).

Sorry to have taken over your thread.

I'm looking forward to seeing the loco and wheels matching.

• Like 1

RE: Spray paint into a jar.

There are various methods, mostly involving a tube of some sort (I believe that an UNUSED tube from a WD40 can will work) such as straws, plastic pipettes, etc. Also, wrap the whole lot in cling wrap to stop the paint from spraying everywhere and making a mess. I've done it only once a few years ago and I'm stuffed if I can remember exactly how I did it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

post-1365-0-55957300-1443126511_thumb.jpg

Productive afternoon today - built myself a layout! Well more of a shunting plank really but the trains move so that makes it a layout in my book! Couple of nice baseboards courtesy of the new kitchen that we've had fitted this week - seemed a shame to let the spare bits go to waste...the track plan is a mirror image of what I want to do for Elsbridge Wharf, minus the dairy siding off the loop at the front - track is only temporary at the moment as I want to try and build some points with a much tighter radius that take up a lot less space than the Peco ones currently being used.

post-1365-0-29703500-1443126820_thumb.jpg

WSR No.4 'Brendam' sits in the loop waiting for its next train

post-1365-0-64281700-1443126873_thumb.jpg

Whilst WSR No.3 'Crosby' waits to depart with its brakevan

Nice size comparison between Nos.3&4...

post-1365-0-90439100-1443127025_thumb.jpg

...which really shows how small No.2 'Suddery' actually is - almost makes the Terrier look like a normal size engine!

post-1365-0-75683300-1443126929_thumb.jpg

Having painted No.3 in red, I will admit I'm somewhat tempted to repainted No.4 to match, No.2 will certainly be red when I've decided on what to do with the cab (and wiring her up so she goes).

Anyways, enough of my ramblings - I'm off to play trains!

• Like 8

Neil,

Just caught up with your thread, so,e excellent progress there. I like the Terrier in red, was thinking of using the same colour scheme sometime as its one of the least popular Terrier liveries.

I have one of the Simplex kits too in the 'to build one day' drawer, mine has the instructions so will run them over the copier at some point for you.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young

• RMweb Premium

I thought taking this week off work was to get the kitchen finished not play trains - but given a choice, I know what I would rather do. I'm still getting earache about a couple of little unfinished jobs here but more and more gets added to the list so the chance of finishing the kitchen gets further and further away . . . . . . .

I thought taking this week off work was to get the kitchen finished not play trains - but given a choice, I know what I would rather do. I'm still getting earache about a couple of little unfinished jobs here but more and more gets added to the list so the chance of finishing the kitchen gets further and further away . . . . . . .

Anything to put off doing some modelling Mike....!!

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Andy - many thanks re the instructions - very much appreciated.

Mike - it was - but as they finished the kitchen early I wasn't going to complain...just got the tiling to do now which is this afternoons job...unless you want to do that for me?!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress yesterday afternoon on some coaching stock for EW - a small tramway style 4-wheel coach, and a 2 compartment brake third that is assumed to be a cast off from a more 'main-line' company...

post-1365-0-10878300-1443351564_thumb.jpg

Back at the 7mmNGA association exhibition in June I purchased 4 tramway style coach bodies for the princely sum of £2.50...this is the best of the four bodies so it's been mounted on a scratch built chassis and some Slaters lowmac wheels - is sitting a little high for my liking at the moment so the w-irons will be going in for some surgery later today - I'm aiming for a squat little vehicle that reflects the lines origins as a horse drawn tramway. I also need to find some suitable balcony railings for the ends - though maybe a solid waist high end would be more appropriate?

I've made a start on the interior for it as well:

post-1365-0-34613700-1443351854_thumb.jpg

Plus a couple of inhabitants - say hello to George and Mildred - George has had surgery on his arms to make him look a little more relaxed, less brace for impact! The seating is cut down from Slaters seating as included in their Midland Railway coach kits.

The 2nd coach built is a bit more of lash up of various parts and is actually built from the remains of a much abused Peco GWR Toad brake van - least it's going to live a useful life now rather than being confined to find bottom of the stock box! The body has been removed and replaced with a set of Peco coach side parts - I had to shorted the chassis slightly at one end plus the addition of an extra window in the guards/luggage compartment to make it fit but I quite like the look of it. It's gained an interior that is again canabalised from Slaters MR coach parts, this time making use of the compartment dividers as well - they don't quite reach the very top of the sides but once the roof is on no one will be any the wiser (I hope). Still to add are the ends and buffer beams - I need to find some suitable buffers for this and the tramway coach - suggestions please?

post-1365-0-99172200-1443351956_thumb.jpg

The pair of coaches will become the standard passenger set for Elsbridge Wharf I think - I may add one of the other tramway coaches later on if I can find the other set of lowmac wheels that I have...

post-1365-0-40078100-1443352391_thumb.jpg

Finally here they are posed on the layout:

post-1365-0-99953500-1443352543_thumb.jpg

WSR No.4 Brendam waits to depart with the daily mixed train for Knapford. It really should be one of the coffee pot locos that operated the branch...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Martin. I will admit I too had thought about using the San Juan coach parts - I may still do at some point in the future to create something similar to what the Weston, Cleveland and Portishead Railway owned originally - perhaps the company a pair new when the line was converted to steam power?