Elsbridge Tramway Company: Elsbridge Town - NeilHB's layout

NeilHB

Rhys that sounds good - maybe lined black for 5741 as he was station pilot at Tidmouth for a while (this would also tie in with BRs tradition of station pilots carrying very smart liveries - look at Liverpool Street and it's Great Eastern lined blue J69s). Your idea for No.6 sounds good - I shall await with interest.

Thanks for the article Martin - much appreciated.

Perfect, lined black it is. I can't progress with No.6 quite as soon as I'd like but I will keep you updated
  • Like 1

If I ever do my own coffeepot vertical boiler locomotive, it would probably run on slaters 2'8" driving wheels for manning wardle locomotives on a 7'0" wheelbase using slaters coupling rods. I've got some 1" Aluminium U-channel with 3mm thick walls, which would form the chassis, and with the holes drilled in the right places would also form the gearbox. I have a spare set of 40:1 gears somewhere, although for 3/16" axles. I had some 30:1 gears or 27:1 gears for 3mm axles somewhere.

Levers and detailing bits from S&D models, vertical boiler from bits of pipe and tube - most of the superstructure would be styrene or other junk. Adding weight would be a problem as I would hide the motor in the boiler. Perhaps fill the water tank with lead, and put on a basic cab, with a coal bunker (box) that would also be filled with lead and covered in fake coal, and squeeze some lead fishing weight between the frames where they would be hidden.

I've got other projects ahead of it though. People wonder why it takes me years to finish anything. It's a hobby. I don't want to finish projects quickly! If I finished everything it would give me nothing to look forward to doing!

• RMweb Gold

I'm of the same opinion as you - it's not Sodor Rail it's the North Western Railway!

I did find myself pondering if the NWR would rebrand its freight handling business in the 1980s.... Perhaps S-CARGO, or 'snail rail'.....

Edited by Corbs

• RMweb Gold

Martin - I see you've had the same idea as me re use of Slaters manning Wardle wheels. I'm using a 6ft wheelbase with rods from Premier Components (LNER Y7) with a chassis built from plastic strip rather than metal as I'm more comfortable using plastic. I think 40:1 gears would be too high for the coffee pot - watching videos of Coffee Pot No.1 at Beamish it's a very lumbering slow beastie so I want the model to reflect that - I think 80:1 may be better if I can find some suitable. I hadn't thought of using S&D bits for detailing - I have a few bits upstairs so will see what is most suitable. The plan is to have some sort of basic cab - after all the roadside tramway section around the headland between Kanpford and Tidmouth was rather exposed.

Though I do wonder if the management would have taken Sir Arthur Heywoods view that a stout mackintosh was more protection to the driver than a cab...

Guest Isambarduk

"I usually have a mashima 1833 or 1824. 40:1 gearset"

I concur with the Mashima motor but I would go for something rather lower on the gear ratio, say 30:1.  In this way, the motor will run slower so the whole set up will be quieter.  And. to this end, I highly recommend Ultrascale gears ( www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/CAT015#WWGS4 ) which are a quiet as you could ever wish for with their self-lubricating Nylatron worm (and brass worm wheel) and the slow running will be fine as they are more efficient (than typical 40:1 steel worm + brass worm wheel).

David

I've got the 40:1 gearset in stock. I purchased a 54:1 set for my Barclay (still in the box after 12 months) as I was dissatisfied with the running on 40:1 this was also partly to compensate for the smaller 1824 motor that I bought. Needed a short motor so that I could fit the flywheel into the body. After buying the Ixion Hudswell Clarke I became 100% sold on having flywheels in my locos.

Guest Isambarduk

"... I became 100% sold on having flywheels in my locos. "

Hmm.  I fit flywheels where I can but with a good motor (ie most modern can motors) and a decent gearbox they add not a lot, particularly at slow, shunting speeds.  As an example, the locos that I have from San Cheng Models (manufactures for Bachmann, Tower Brass and FineScaleBrass), such as LMS 8F, Black Five, Jubilee and GWR Hall, although I reworked them to add detail and to correct deficiencies that were cosmetic and largely below the footplate, the motors and gearboxes are first class, they run sweetly at slow speeds but they are not fitted with flywheels.

With a good modern motor, the next most important thing is to use a good gearbox, or to make one with a well made, efficient gear set (eg the Ultrascale that I recommended earlier).  Fitting ever higher gear ratios using indifferent, inefficient gears will lead only to further disappointing slow running that will not be alleviated by fitting a flywheel. (The energy stored in a flywheel is proportional to the square of its rotational speed so there's not much when the motor is ticking over and it's soon used up as friction in inefficient gears.)

If you already have indifferent gears, sell them on! This is what I have done, even selling on second-hand gears (so marked) as there's always a market for them.  The Ultrascale gears are not expensive at £5.73 or £7.20 per set (plus postage, which is a bit of an issue to Australia unless you can make up a bulk order to reduce the effective cost per set).  Don't over worry about the cautionary note on the Ultrascale website about orders may take 6 months to be fulfilled; my experience over many years is that common items, such as Nylatron worm and worm wheels, are delivered within a few days (but you can always contact them to check).

Yes, the Ixion models do run superbly and, although they do have small flywheels, have you noticed that they also have efficient nylon worms as well?  I do believe that this feature contributes greatly to their success so, if I really had to do without one of these features, I know which one would be going!

I hope this helps, or at least gives food for thought .. or even some discussion.

David

Edited by Isambarduk

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally made some more progress on stock for EW...

post-1365-0-70473000-1449432803_thumb.jpg

The tramway coach has gained buffers (Parkside Dundas NB wagon buffers) plus some balcony railings from some Ratio 4mm GW station fencing - all it needs now are some steps and maybe some brakes too would be useful?

post-1365-0-69945100-1449432985_thumb.jpg

Seen here again next to the ex WSR brake coach which has now gained one end and some buffers (Parkside Dundas LMS brake van buffers), just need to sort the other end and then decide on a suitable livery. I'm undecided about the foot boards and may replace them with suitable steps down to ground level as per the WCPR.

post-1365-0-13304400-1449433199_thumb.jpg

Another dumb buffered open has (finally!) been built - bodywork is from Slaters 4mm planked plastikard stuck back to back - not sure if the sides now look too thin compared to other stock, maybe next time I'll add another layer of 20thou plastic inbetween the planked layers. I wanted a bit of variety to the stock so I've gone for a round ended version this time - this one will be in TKELR livery, however I have plans for another finished in a suitable private owner coals merchants livery...I just need to find a suitable name first. I had thought of A. W. Dry...

Edited by NeilHB
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Isambarduk

Ah, I recognised it straight away!  This is as far as I got with mine before the project 'stalled' for some reason, in 1996:

WUT-CoachNo6.jpg

I shall pick it up again one day.  An interesting 'design feature' (mine) is the torsional springing that provides an excellent ride; it's not always possible to incorporate this arrangement in a model but it is very simple and most effective:

WUT-CoachNo6TorqueSpring.jpg

WUT-CoachNo6Under.jpg

The bogie coach is part of the same project so it reached about the same stage:

WUT-CoachNo8.jpg

WUT-CoachNo8Bogies.jpg

but I did complete my earlier W&UT models, both entirely scratch-built, the tram No. 132 (in 1975):

WUT-Tram132.jpg

and van No. 9 (in 1980):

WUT-No9.jpg

I have vowed that, when I have satisfied my 'need' to build larger locos, I shall finish the industrial and minor railway locos and stock that I would like to build.

David

• RMweb Gold

Wisbech and Upwell Tramway coach? AKA "Henrietta"

Martin - correct on both counts...way out the time period for Elsbridge Wharf but as No.7 was one of my favourites growing up (and still is in all honesty) I had to have a model of him plus 'train'. Just need to get No.7 up and running properly but it's looking likely that a new chassis is in order.

Coach ? No doubt you'll tell me all about it when we're back at work next year - but will it be finished for a test run on David's layout at Mickleover on the 30th ?

Hopefully Mike! Doubt the appropriate loco will be rebuilt in time but stranger things have happened!

Ah, I recognised it straight away!

David

David - all I can say is wow! Hopefully my coach will look half as good as yours does fingers crossed.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No more progress to report on 'Henrietta' as I've been distracted with a couple of other projects that actually fit in the timeline for Elsbridge Wharf.

First up is the first building for Elsbridge Wharf, a Petite Properties 'Cemetary Lodge', built as per instructions (for once!), it's gone together really nicely, and I now just need to decide on the wall finish and door/window frame colouring - my thinking is that it will be the tramway cottage that will sit at the entrance to the station/wharf and hopefully act as a view blocker for trains entering/exiting the scene:

post-1365-0-69924700-1451510343_thumb.jpg

Next up is another item of rolling stock, a Hurn Models LSWR goods guards van of 1875 vintage, however lets just say I didn't follow the instructions for this one and it doesn't exactly look like the picture on the instructions...!

post-1365-0-28574100-1451510558_thumb.jpg

I decided that the vehicle had been purchased third hand (from one of the other railway already in existence on Sodor, who in turn had purchased it from the LSWR) when they were in need of a brake vehicle for running with passenger and goods trains. However being in need of a suitable vehicle that could be used to convey passengers and goods when traffic was light, such as during the winter months, they converted one end into a rudimentary passenger compartment:

post-1365-0-31545400-1451510741_thumb.jpg

Plenty of work later with the drill saw the necessary windows opened up in the very nice resin castings, I also took the opportunity to open up the birdcage roof part of the roof moulding, so that I could model part of the interior, which is also why one of the side doors has been removed so that I can add some items in there such as milk churns, crates etc.

post-1365-0-48521200-1451510952_thumb.jpg

Lined up alongside the tramway balcony coach makes you realise just how small the brake coach/van thingy (for want of a better term - suggestions on a postcard please!) really is...and I thought the balcony coach was small!

One more for good measure showing a three coach train in the station, it must be market day in Elsbridge so all available passenger stock has been pressed into use:

post-1365-0-60586700-1451511151_thumb.jpg

Edited by NeilHB
  • Like 8

In Australia most Guard's Vans had a passenger compartment. This was to allow people to accompany certain goods, especially livestock trains. They used to also have an area for the carrying of goods and even a small compartment for the conveyance of dogs or coffins! Rural lines were very isolated so travellers were often glad of being able to make use of these facilities. A 3rd class ride is better than a 1st class walk!

Prototype for everything.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info Martin, much appreciated. Will admit my knowledge of railway practices in Australia is somewhat limited, so nice to know that there is almost a prototype for everything!

Today I managed to do something that I never thought I would be able to do, I built a loco chassis from scratch:

post-1365-0-69691400-1451681472_thumb.jpg

Copperclad PCB sheet and some frame spacers from Meteor Models (I think - they've been in the one day projects box for so long...), plus Slaters plunger pickups.

A couple of hours of work with some plasticard and a scalpel then produced the below:

post-1365-0-35706500-1451681654_thumb.jpg

Will admit I quite chuffed with how it looks so far, certainly not an accurate representation of Coffee Pot no.1 at Beamish, but then the Knapford and Elsbridge coffee pots were designed in house so anything is possible in my opinion. Tomorrow should hopefully see the rest of the bodywork completed, I have some castings in the spares box which I can use for the reversing lever etc., however I need to wait for some new wheels to arrive from Slaters before I can proceed with motor and gearbox - the ones on the loco have developed an annoying habit of trying to turn in opposite directions...grrr.

Lastly a couple of photos of coffee pot on the layout, nice to see a loco which makes a Terrier look large!

post-1365-0-73674000-1451681933_thumb.jpg

post-1365-0-87370500-1451681979_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Martin many thanks - that was indeed the cause! Oh well the new wheels I've ordered can be used for the second coffee pot.

I've managed to get the first one running today, not too bad but needs a good run in I think. Also need to find a way to stuff it full of lead too as it's very light on its feet!

So far the water tank is full of scrap white metal, but it's going to need plenty of weight over the boiler and in the 'bunker' to get it to manage a respectable (for its size,anyway) load.

• RMweb Gold

Martin - the motor/gearbox is under slung off the axle nearest the bunker - the motor sits at an angle in the bottom of the boiler, but as its only small there's over half the boiler left for filling with lead. In the photo below the gearbox drives off the axle at the left hand end:

post-1365-0-87478700-1451767884_thumb.jpg

As you can see the water tank has been built, just needs the corners rounding off a bit and lots of lovely rivets adding next! I'm aiming to build this version with an overall cab, which will hopefully hide the fact that I've chickened out of making working valve gear on this one...

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A plea for help from the power of RMWeb! I snagged myself a bargain on eBay over the weekend, a part built Slaters Dean non-corridor All Third...completely out of period for Elsbridge Wharf, but it wil fit in with future plans at some point in the future. Now, the only problem is is that there aren't any instructions with it, and there's rather a lot of parts for this kit! It's Slaters kit reference 7C08 - does anyone have a set of instructions going spare that I could copy please?

post-1365-0-35566200-1452631486_thumb.jpg

post-1365-0-18831400-1452631507_thumb.jpg

Lots of lovely parts and brass castings - looks like enough brass castings for two coaches in fact. Current thinking is that it will probably end up as a Wellsworth & Suddery Railway coach, with WSR lettering on one side and North Western Railway lettering on the other, two time periods for the price of one. Livery wise I can say for definite it won't be staying in chocolate and cream, current thinking is something along the lines of LNER tourist green and cream, mainly because I like it and it's a bit different!