ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

I don't think I have seen this link posted in the thread, apologies if I have missed it, but if anyone is looking for references for weathering or for prototype rakes to model from diesel days there are plenty of photos and information on the page for 'Limestone trains from Great Rocks/Tunstead featuring D5274 - D5279, 5274 - 5279, 25124 - 25129 & D7586, 7586, 25236 and many others that worked these services.'

http://www.derbysulzers.com/5274.html

I can't help thinking it would be a brave modeller to try and put such a pristine wagon in the middle of a well worn rake as seen in.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/25104peakforest.jpg

Also interesting to see the wagons top and tailed by a pair of 25s, was this just for ease of shunting, or did this go on the main line like this?

Jamie

It was quite common to see an ex works hopper in amongst the dusty rusty coloured wagons especially in the 1970s to early 1990s. Have a look on Flickr for the new ICI Hoppers photo group that was recently set up for more examples.

The rear 25 in that photo link would have been the banker loco and would have dropped off the rear just before the bridge where the photographer is standing leaving the front loco and it's loaded hoppers to make it over the summit a little further along the line towards Chinley. Top and tail moves did take place when the trains were diverted away from the booked route via Chinley, New Mills South Junction. This involved sending the trains via Buxton with a reversal at Great Rocks Junction, Buxton sidings and then Buxton station itself. Double headed 25s on front and single 25 on the rear was one example of this move.

HTH Paul

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The warwell is now at the same development stage after a lot less time.

And the hoppers progress appears to have stalled. I and some of my LeedsMRS colleagues have preferred some but it looks like we won't have these for STEAM, Leeds Show or Warley this year.

Shame as they would have looked nice on Chapel.

But just because you preorder them it doesn't mean that they have to appear as a model.

Baz

There seems to have been a product wide delay on items being produced by Oxford Rail. Their Dean Goods loco is overdue with no update and the Yorkshire Engine Janus for Golden Valley, was advertised as expected last January, but is now said to be 'in production'

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

If they are OK any idea how long before production ones appear please?

We could really do with ours early August to give time for coupling changes, testing and home weathering.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

If they are OK any idea how long before production ones appear please?

We could really do with ours early August to give time for coupling changes, testing and home weathering.

Baz

Hi Baz,

We aren't currently publicising a release date as we'd prefer this to be more confirmed before we do so, however as with the EPs we'll make this info available as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

A Roxey Mouldings Kit is roughly £40.00, or around £50.00 with wheels, then it has to be built. Personally I dont mind building one, which may or may not be a simple task, but a RTR version is definitely the preferred option when a train of them is required. I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates. Does anyone produce transfers for 'John Summers'.

Blackham Transfers were going to do a sheet based on their 7mm sheet for the Warren Shepherd brass kit of the Summers wagons. The 4mm Roxey kit was started by Warren Shepherd originally a project I was involved with for a while and Alan Blackham was supposed be doing 4mm versions reduced down from his 7mm sheet of rub-on transfers. Whether they ever got produced I do not know.

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Black hole it is...warwell about to be delivered but these are still to be seen. Have Oxford Rail got serious delivery issues?

Baz

Might be a straightforward commercial decision, there may be more interest and orders for the warwells, so they go to the top of the queue.

Not necessarily a conspiracy theory.

Mike.

Might be a straightforward commercial decision, there may be more interest and orders for the warwells, so they go to the top of the queue.

Not necessarily a conspiracy theory.

Mike.

There is no competition for the ICI hoppers but the first to the shelf with the Warwell gets a big chunk of the of the sales!

In most cases the conspiracy theory hold no water but the cock up does, it seems recently that duplication is more and more common!

Mark Saunders

Black hole it is...warwell about to be delivered but these are still to be seen. Have Oxford Rail got serious delivery issues?

Baz

I think that Oxford has had manufacturing delays over the last 6 months. This opinion is solely based on the delays that have occurred with its own range products and other commissions. The main range Dean Goods and Mk 3 coaches have been delayed by 6 months as has the Janus industrial diesel for Golden Valley, who advertised the NCB version as a January release and its now being shipped for a late June release. Certainly they have been very quiet on new releases and product development for some months. They may have been adversely affected by the Chinese New Year staff losses that can occur. They do seem to be moving now, with the Dean Goods and carflats from the main range being shipped as we write, as is the first of the Janus diesels. Hopefully we'll see further samples soon.

Edited by rembrow

• 3 weeks later...