ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

The raised letters are a very sophisticated touch. Out of curiousity, I’ve been peering at the inside of the wagons beneath the letters. If they were moulded on, I’d expect to see a dimple where the thicker layer of plastic has contracted on cooling. I can’t see one (which doesn’t mean that it isn’t there). I do see a couple of round things underneath an “I” which suggest that they are separately applied and that those are fixing holes. Either way, it doesn’t matter much because they’re superbly executed.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback so far and please accept my apologies for not having managed to get on here over the last couple of days.

"No Decorum", you've pretty much sussed the lettering out for yourself! It is separately fitted (where appropriate) with two locating pips on the back of the letters. Three different hopper bases exist, one without locating holes for the letters and two with holes to cater for both smaller and bigger sizes.

Regarding the 7mm requests, its something we'll bear in mind (along with entering the barn conversion business for those who want to model prototypical length ICI services with lots of hoppers in O gauge...)

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback so far and please accept my apologies for not having managed to get on here over the last couple of days.

"No Decorum", you've pretty much sussed the lettering out for yourself! It is separately fitted (where appropriate) with two locating pips on the back of the letters. Three different hopper bases exist, one without locating holes for the letters and two with holes to cater for both smaller and bigger sizes.

Regarding the 7mm requests, its something we'll bear in mind (along with entering the barn conversion business for those who want to model prototypical length ICI services with lots of hoppers in O gauge...)

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave - I'd leave the Barn conversion business to others ... can you image the courier cost! ... and stick to what works :) Like ICI hoppers in O Gauge! :)

Rich

Hmmmm 2 x 37s with 24 I.C.I. hoppers in O gauge.... sound fitted... Buxton driver up front giving it plenty... it does bear thinking about lol!!

Any more thoughts on doing the final batch of hoppers or the John Summers wagons?

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm 2 x 37s with 24 I.C.I. hoppers in O gauge.... sound fitted... Buxton driver up front giving it plenty... it does bear thinking about lol!!

Any more thoughts on doing the final batch of hoppers or the John Summers wagons?

Cheers Paul

As per my previous post, have these your seal of approval Paul?

Order pending!

Mike.

Yes they have my seal of approving pending the adjustments to EP samples.. in fact all they need to do is to swop the bogies round so that you have the following combinations:

Small ICI with diamond frame bogies with oil bearings (plated axlebox covers)

Large ICI with plate frame bogies with oil bearings (ditto)

No ICI letters with plate frame bogies with roller bearings (no plated cover just the bearing cap).

The livery sheets are okay now that they have corrected the 5 I identified as needing alterations.

Cheers Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In fact all they need to do is to swop the bogies round so that you have the following combinations:

Hi Paul (and all!),

We've resisted temptation to swap the bogies around on these samples as, as per the CADs, these are not representative of an exact product code but more a 'showcase' of types of part and fittings that can be catered for in the tooling. These are now on the way back to Oxford Rail with a list of corrections, and we didn't want to confuse any part of the process by changing the parts around resulting in different people involved in the production process seeing differing samples.

Once we get exact examples of specific hoppers they'll be fitted with the right bits in the right places.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cor-onGRT4 only the first three wagons built nos. 3200, 3201 and 3202 were outshopped with ICI LTD with the black lettering. All three were outshopped in a works photographic grey livery and each wagon has a different arrangement of hand brakes ranging from the central lever as shown in the photo, then small levers mounted on each bogie side frame and finally a central hand brake wheel, the latter being adopted as standard from wagon 3203 onwards. The different methods were to determine the best type and presumably ease of use for workers.

I can't just recall when the levers were replaced by wheels or the LTD lettering removed as not at home right now but it might be in my book somewhere.

HTH Paul

Hi Cor-onGRT4 only the first three wagons built nos. 3200, 3201 and 3202 were outshopped with ICI LTD with the black lettering. All three were outshopped in a works photographic grey livery and each wagon has a different arrangement of hand brakes ranging from the central lever as shown in the photo, then small levers mounted on each bogie side frame and finally a central hand brake wheel, the latter being adopted as standard from wagon 3203 onwards. The different methods were to determine the best type and presumably ease of use for workers.

I can't just recall when the levers were replaced by wheels or the LTD lettering removed as not at home right now but it might be in my book somewhere.

HTH Paul

Hello Paul

Thanks, my knowledge about these ICI hoppers is nothing compared to others on this topic, but I would share this with all who are interested in these wagons, it is a interesting article, especially because it is 80 years old.

Cor

• Like 1

Hello Paul

Thanks, my knowledge about these ICI hoppers is nothing compared to others on this topic, but I would share this with all who are interested in these wagons, it is a interesting article, especially because it is 80 years old.

Cor

Hi Cor, have you got a full scan of that report as it is not one I have seen before so I would be interested in a full copy image if possible cheers.

Paul

Excuse me, are these the ICI hoppers or the similar Summers hoppers? I can't tell from a distance and doesn't really know how t distinguish them.

27098880063_57a51d9d4c_b.jpg

Thirty Seven Heaven (Michael McNicholas) by neilh156, auf Flickr

According to the description the photo was taken on 30/06/1993 08:50.

Hi FelixM, good photo.

It is hard to tell really from that angle but I would say the first 5 wagons all look to be ex-I.C.I. as the top line of the hopper body looks all the same height all the way along. From memory the ex-Summers and by then ex-I.C.I. wagons numbered 19152-19164 were stored at Hindlow following their replacement by the Tiphook bogie KPA hoppers like the white/beige dirty ones seen in the background of the photo. They were added to the main Northwich pool after some of the ex-I.C.I. wagons had been scrapped or stored at Northwich to bring the fleet back upto strength.

Summers wagons are usually distinguished by the slightly lower body height and the end ladders fitted at the end of the wagon on the right hand side when looking at the wagon end on.

HTH Paul

• Like 2

Hi Cor, have you got a full scan of that report as it is not one I have seen before so I would be interested in a full copy image if possible cheers.

Paul

Hello Paul

This is the full scan, it is just a announcement of the new hopper wagon, only the last letters down are a bit unreadable

It is from The Railway Gazette the first half year period, January 1 to June 25 1937 bundled together in one large book of 6 kilogram and 3,5 inches thick, totally 1300 pages, so  it is very difficult to handle to copy.

I found it a few years ago in a second hand book store here in the Netherlands, it once belonged to the library of the Dutch Railways, there's a stamp in the book that shows it.

Full of railway articles of the world but many about the British railways in the period, with diagrams and folding drawings of British locomotives and many more.

I just bought it for only 8 euros :sarcastichand:  your's currency about 6 pound,I was one lucky fellow :declare: 

Cor

Hello Paul

This is the full scan, it is just a announcement of the new hopper wagon, only the last letters down are a bit unreadable

It is from The Railway Gazette the first half year period, January 1 to June 25 1937 bundled together in one large book of 6 kilogram and 3,5 inches thick, totally 1300 pages, so  it is very difficult to handle to copy.

I found it a few years ago in a second hand book store here in the Netherlands, it once belonged to the library of the Dutch Railways, there's a stamp in the book that shows it.

Full of railway articles of the world but many about the British railways in the period, with diagrams and folding drawings of British locomotives and many more.

I just bought it for only 8 euros :sarcastichand:  your's currency about 6 pound,I was one lucky fellow :declare:

Cor

Ah I see! I will take a copy of the image that you posted if that is ok for my hopper archive. The photograph is one of the works ones taken by Charles Roberts and is wagon 3201 (later ICIM 19001) as both 3200 and 3202 had black painted numbers on the sloping hopper side.

Cheers Paul

Ah I see! I will take a copy of the image that you posted if that is ok for my hopper archive. The photograph is one of the works ones taken by Charles Roberts and is wagon 3201 (later ICIM 19001) as both 3200 and 3202 had black painted numbers on the sloping hopper side.

Cheers Paul

Hello Paul

That's ok for me, so you see there's always something in the world that adds new information, sometimes I do find very interesting old railway books in some stores with lots of information especcialy from the period just before and after WW2, happy to be of help.

Regards Cor

• 2 weeks later...

HI there - these look very lovely indeed. I was just wondering looking at the list below and modelling the 1950's could you realistically model a train with some ICIW001, 2 and 3 in it or would there not have been that much cross over?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=148#ordervariations

Hi cbeagleowner yes any of those with wagon running numbers in the 32xx 33xx ranges as per Hatton's codes ICI001 - 003 would be ok for 1950s operations. In old mono photos the wagons look almost as black as the 8Fs hauling them.

HTH Paul

HI there - these look very lovely indeed. I was just wondering looking at the list below and modelling the 1950's could you realistically model a train with some ICIW001, 2 and 3 in it or would there not have been that much cross over?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=148#ordervariations

• RMweb Premium

We desperately need these for the visit of Chapel en le Frith (the Midland one) layout to Steam, Leeds and Warley Shows this year.. and yes we have all ordered some....Questions is.. will we get them before this September..

Baz

• 1 month later...