Revolution Trains confirms TEA tanker in N

Revolution Ben

Hi Terry,

I am reasonably sure the train you've photographed is the recently introduced Ipswich Freightliner depot refuelling train. It runs from Lindsey refinery on Humberside via Peterborough and Ely with, I understand, one, two or three tankers depending on how much fuel is needed.

I sometimes go and photograph trains at Whittlesey and I am hoping I might catch this one myself.

In your photo are both the tankers the green ex-Freightliner ones? I've seen them mixed in with blue and grey VTG and DBS tanks on other trains, but it looks like they've set a few aside for this flow.

Cheers

Ben A.

Ben,

It was serendipitous that I saw this as I was there to meet an old school chum off the Ipswich train.

They were both VTG ones and the colour looked like blue but it was hard to tell as they were so heavily weathered!

Great project! Before I express an interest, I would appreciate some idea of how long a train modern N gauge locos can haul. It is one thing to buy a prototypical length train, but whether model locos could actually haul it is another matter. Never having run really long trains in N scale, I would be interested to get an idea of how many wagons a Farish Class 66 or Class 60 might actually haul, please.

On Neely, the freight trains are all 14 container waggons long which is the maximum length that we can take in the loops. The GF class 66's have no problem with this load.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Great project! Before I express an interest, I would appreciate some idea of how long a train modern N gauge locos can haul. It is one thing to buy a prototypical length train, but whether model locos could actually haul it is another matter. Never having run really long trains in N scale, I would be interested to get an idea of how many wagons a Farish Class 66 or Class 60 might actually haul, please.

On Banbury we use a class 66 or 60 to haul 21 Farish bogie tanks with ease. Haven't tried a Dapol 66 but no reason one shouldn't ( one won't haul 21 loaded coal hoppers)

• Like 1

What made me express my interest was seeing two of these tankers pulled by a 66 entering Ely station from the Soham branch last Tuesday. Just right for something different on my layout Neely.

If it's any help the wagon numbers are 88164 and 871001.

dazzer

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

88164 is VTG grey livery:

http://joalder.smugmug.com/RollingStock/T-TOPS-code/TEA-102t-Bogie-Petroleum-Tanks/i-Gfftnmx#!/RollingStock/T-TOPS-code/TEA-102t-Bogie-Petroleum-Tanks/i-Gfftnmx/A

871001 is in VTG rebranded Freightliner green:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60590721@N04/17671163282

And here is a pic of the same train at Whittlesey:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_orourke/18463716798/

A nice little train!

While browsing for the above I also came across this, a Colas loco with a mix of EWS grey and VTG blue tanks...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_orourke/17871665425/

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Terry,

I am reasonably sure the train you've photographed is the recently introduced Ipswich Freightliner depot refuelling train. It runs from Lindsey refinery on Humberside via Peterborough and Ely with, I understand, one, two or three tankers depending on how much fuel is needed.

I sometimes go and photograph trains at Whittlesey and I am hoping I might catch this one myself.

In your photo are both the tankers the green ex-Freightliner ones? I've seen them mixed in with blue and grey VTG and DBS tanks on other trains, but it looks like they've set a few aside for this flow.

Cheers

Ben A.

I believe these tanks have now been replaced by the smaller 45t TTAs, several of which were collected from Long Marston a few days ago; presumably the TEAs will return to revenue-earning service.

On Banbury we use a class 66 or 60 to haul 21 Farish bogie tanks with ease. Haven't tried a Dapol 66 but no reason one shouldn't ( one won't haul 21 loaded coal hoppers)

I have a Dapol 66 (colas) , which happily hauls 20 HTA's :)

Regarding TallTims post, I was discussing that with Ben the other day :) Looks like a case of bendy rail syndrome !

Edited by Only-Me

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The tanker derailment is interesting.  I understand the wagons were all empty, so damage to them is considerably less than it would've been had the accident taken place when they were loaded.

Close-up images I have seen show them to be remarkably unscathed, though I imagine there will still be a significant amount of work involved in fixing any damage and ensuring the structural integrity of the tank is unimpaired.

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We've now received the first CAD files for the TEA tanker. The couplers and some seam details are still to be added, but they give a good idea of progress so far.

Overview of the complete wagon:

post-420-0-41173500-1437016998_thumb.jpg

Close up showing brake area and discharge pipe detail

post-420-0-48851500-1437017051.jpg

Detail view of manlid. The catwalks are to be etched.

post-420-0-22044600-1437017067.jpg

I am pretty happy with these but would be interested in any issues others may spot.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hello GW,

No, so far we are only looking for expressions of interest, which you can still register via our website.

Next we will confirm the maximum preorder price (we expect it to be around £20-£30) and the order book will open for deposits. It will stay open for around 2-3 months until we are ready to actually produce the models.

The balance will be collected just before your models are ready to ship.

Due to our crowd-funding methodology, if enough people preorder then we are hoping that the final price will actually come down.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

Hi GW,

We'd really like to do weathered versions, but at the moment we've been focussing on shape and functionality. Once the CADs are approved we will start in the livery drawings - that of course will mean confirming RAL numbers for all the colours etc.

At that stage we will ask whether weathered versions - working from photographs - are achievable. What we won't do is offer weathered versions that just feature a dusting of generic brown. If we do them we do them properly!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

It looks like the red VTG tanks formerly in use on the S Wales Murco trains have now started work in Scotland, on Grangemouth traffic.

Four wagons were present alongside the usual older style BP-green liveried TEAs when the train was caught by photographer Tom Smith at Coatbridge Central.

post-420-0-55728200-1439243509_thumb.jpg

The green and red tanks together make for a colourful consist!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone who's provided assistance and feedback for the CADs we have shown for this model.  We are now in a position to approve the CADs and send them for tooling.

Here are some images of the finalised versions.   This image shows the VTG version with shorter air tanks.

post-420-0-70201000-1439849520_thumb.jpg

Some of the VTG wagons have a different arrangement of roof hatches/vents and our tooling can accommodate this variation:

post-420-0-20608800-1439849524_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-74015900-1439849531_thumb.jpg

The EWS (now D B Schenker) and Freightliner versions have longer air tanks (as do the later VTG and Greenergy wagons) and also feature twin nozzles on the discharge pipes - our model will depict this.

post-420-0-14970600-1439849528_thumb.jpg

We are also very happy with the strengthening details on the back of the headstock and the buffers themselves.

post-420-0-90591200-1439849529_thumb.jpg

And the Greenergy versions have additional roof and underfloor vents:

post-420-0-66300900-1439849533_thumb.jpg

We are hoping to have prototyped samples for the N Gauge International Show at Leamington, and factory moulded samples by Warley.

Our website will be updated shortly to allow customers to place orders; so far there has only been a facility to show an expression of interest.  We will close the order book once the model is ready for production, which will probably be later on this year.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

These CADs show an immense amount of detail. I especially like the VTA brake changeover valve fitted to one bogie. Makes this an extra challenge in correct assembly to get that bogie at the right end when there is only one valve. I am looking forward to the taxing process of choosing a colourful but plausible mix of liveries for individual trains, or just the more uniform Greenergy scheme. Congratulations to Rapido and Revolution in getting this so far so quickly. Thanks for sharing the impressive progress since launching this at the end of March 2015, almost incredibly less than 5 months ago.

Hi Ben,

Those CAD images look brilliant! I can't wait to be able to get my hands on some! I cannot believe the level of detail you've achieved, particular around the bogies and those buffers...wow! Will they have Oleo cast in the rear face, too? Just kidding!

One little detail I've noticed is the covers on the walkways. These are fitted to the EWS owned batch and later wagons, all the VTG ones don't have it as they were built earlier.

I look forward to seeing the samples at Leamington. Now, how's about an HOA or anything Mendip to the same standard?

jo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jo,

You're right about the anti climb guards on the ladders (I assume that's what you mean) and we produced this version for the following reasons:

1)  The most popular liveries so far are EWS and Greenergy, which have them.

2)  The latest VTG wagons also have them.

3)  It seems plausible that they may be retrofitted to older wagons.

4)  To keep prices manageable there is a limit to how many separate parts we can tool and an additional ladder moulding would have added significant cost.

5)  So we thought it easier for our customers to remove unwanted panels than try to add them in plasticard or whatever.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Can't argue with that logic Ben! Yes that is the part I meant. I'll blame the current run of night shifts for the vagueness of my description!

I'll be keeping an eye out for further updates

jo

Edited by Steadfast