Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The Ford Zephyrs used in the 1960s TV series Z Cars were painted a pale yellow rather than cop car white for the same reason. The white used to burn out and create too much contrast.

Although the series was set in Liverpool the outdoor scenes were shot in Basildon, outside the (then) Ford tractor factory.  The cars were loaned by Fords and carried Essex registrations.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Simond said:

It is astounding just how much information, usually interesting, but frequently of use only in pub quizzes(and then only on rare occasions) turns up on these forums!

I've only ever been dragged into a couple of pub quizzes... (On the grounds of "he knows a lot of obscure stuff"....)

But the questions generally centre upon ball sports, soap operas / TV  and celebrity worship.

Which left me baffled. They might as well have had my Doberman sat there as his knowledge of sticks, bones and donuts might have been more useful than the stuff I know.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone. And fingers crossed for a better 2021.

1212052799_GeneralStrike1926.Navalratingsshuntin.jpg.71b1193277fbde4040e091b6e13a5c99.jpg

General strike, 1926. Naval Ratings Shunting Railway Wagons By Hand At The Southern Railway's Nine Elms Depot, London. Source: Getty Images, embedding permitted. 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

General strike, 1926. Naval Ratings Shunting Railway Wagons By Hand At The Southern Railway's Nine Elms Depot, London. Source: Getty Images, embedding permitted. 

Well, that's jolly interesting. That sheet was to traffic in November 1918 and is still in use in 1926. Not what I had been taught to expect.

• Like 5

On 19/12/2020 at 18:06, MrWolf said:

The Ford Zephyrs used in the 1960s TV series Z Cars were painted a pale yellow rather than cop car white for the same reason. The white used to burn out and create too much contrast.

Guitar manufacturers still use a colour called 'TV Yellow'.  As with the cars and the white coats anything white in shot on the old black & white television cameras would 'burn out' the picture due to over exposure.  Most of the well known electric guitar shapes, Fender Telecaster, Stratocaster, Gibson Les Paul and the Les Paul Junior were designed in the late forties and early fifties, so white guitars on ;Ready, Steady, Go' and similar shows had to be swapped for 'TV Yellow'. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks everyone. And fingers crossed for a better 2021.

1212052799_GeneralStrike1926.Navalratingsshuntin.jpg.71b1193277fbde4040e091b6e13a5c99.jpg

Didn't anybody there know how to work a horse?  They did a lot of the shunting back then.  Or did the horses go out on strike as well? 

Merry Christmas everyone from Tier 3 Leicester.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In 1926 my paternal grandfather was working for a corn merchants. He voluteered to take out feed for horses. In the East End the streets were lined with protesters at any lorry passing along. Only those at the front could read the notices saying Emergency Horse Feed.  He said it was terryfying and the wipers could not keep up with the spit on the windscreens. Not quite the bit of a lark that is is usually portrayed as.

Don

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again for the christmas greetings, very heart warming :)

The 1926 General Strike clearly led to some unusual situations, not least on the railways. Here's a link to a series of photos on Getty: 

https://www.gettyimages.dk/photos/general-strike-1926?family=editorial&phrase="general strike" 1926&sort=mostpopular#license

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mikkel said:

May all your stock run well and all your storms be weathered.

My first reading of that sentence saw the words 'stock' and 'storms' swapped over. I couldn't work out why or how a storm ran well.

The penny dropped eventually.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to those who believe in such things. To those who don't, "Bah! Humbug!"

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Northroader said:

Actually, if you’ve got a crowbar to “unstick” the wagon, you can push one on the level with three blokes easily. Bit of acting up for the camera there.

I have managed to shift a 9f by myself with a long bar, the trick was to stop it before it ran through the shed doors. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I have managed to shift a 9f by myself with a long bar, the trick was to stop it before it ran through the shed doors. 

I found that whilst spur gears on the ring-field drive in the tender meant I could shift the loco by hand, they tended to act as a pretty instantaneous brake when I let go...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4