Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

You do realise what frightfully good sports we British chaps are?

We invent all sorts of jolly sporting events and are decent enough to let the colonial types win EVERY time!

Well if that's not cricket!?...

09bowltt_465_524_int.jpg.9f3c16b561cd93f48a3f030071a6b7c0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/04/2021 at 20:32, Compound2632 said:

Strikes me as quite a practical garment to wear when doing fine work in a cold room. He's not going to get any loose fibres caught in the clockwork.

It would also stop his tie draping itself across his newly hand painted numerals.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

You've seen many of Dad's photos on RMweb - this looks like an opportunity to see the man himself! Mind you he did have an odd pipeful of Ogden's No.6 in his study.

just not cricket 700px.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I think I have a tin of Ogden's No. 6 from my own dad somewhere in the attic - probably with Airfix soldiers in it, they were good for storing those.

I'm never quite sure if a page number is cause for celebration, doesn't it just mean that we ramble on a lot? :D

Anyway not wanting to be a spoil-sport, perhaps this photo is suitable to mark the occasion.

gettyimages-613473322-2048x2048.jpg.fc11bbf778532ca4a0cc3947f0b599d1.jpg

"Great Western Railway employees study signal operations with the aid of a specially-designed model, during an evening class at the G.W.R. Signal School, at Royal Oak". Source: Getty Images.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Fast forward 80 years or so.....:jester:

No matter what the industry, all it needs is one badly dressed guy at a computer.

fat-man-enjoying-fast-food-260nw-1361147906.jpg

Self portrait? ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I think I have a tin of Ogden's No. 6 from my own dad somewhere in the attic - probably with Airfix soldiers in it, they were good for storing those.

I'm never quite sure if a page number is cause for celebration, doesn't it just mean that we ramble on a lot? :D

Anyway not wanting to be a spoil-sport, perhaps this photo is suitable to mark the occasion.

gettyimages-613473322-2048x2048.jpg.fc11bbf778532ca4a0cc3947f0b599d1.jpg

"Great Western Railway employees study signal operations with the aid of a specially-designed model, during an evening class at the G.W.R. Signal School, at Royal Oak". Source: Getty Images.

Baulk road, I note!

• Like 3

Interesting, but not the one that I had in mind which was used at a staff training school at Calcutta or somewhere like that.

ISTR that it was featured in a TV program about India's railways.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be one at the NWR's Zonal Railway Training Institute, though that's in Udaipur. Series of photos from someone's visit here

Incidentally, I came across this photo. No prizes for guessing the company :jester:

gettyimages-90760796-2048x2048.jpg.969e186d47465c18085e7a5c8f9b3c48.jpg

"Trainee mechanics of the London Midland & Scottish Railway". Source: Getty Images.

• Like 8

You can just imagine that nowadays. Some snowflake would kick off saying that they were offended at "being defined by a label" followed by lots of overpaid public sector professional busybodies rushing in and being horrified and demanding that "something must be done".

That something usually amounts to an undisclosed sum being paid to the snowflake and a grovelling public apology is issued along with the usual "Lessons have been learned / steps have been taken etc" 

Lawyers submit their bills and book a test drive at the nearest Aston Martin dealership... :jester:

Just kidding.

Or am I?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

There seems to be one at the NWR's Zonal Railway Training Institute, though that's in Udaipur. Series of photos from someone's visit here

Incidentally, I came across this photo. No prizes for guessing the company :jester:

gettyimages-90760796-2048x2048.jpg.969e186d47465c18085e7a5c8f9b3c48.jpg

"Trainee mechanics of the London Midland & Scottish Railway". Source: Getty Images.

Interesting vehicle, a Latil 'Traulier' tractor. A French vehicle built under licence by Shevloke and Drewery. The British built ones were fitted with a Meadows petrol engine or a Gardner 4LW diesel. They were four wheel drive and four wheel steering with a ten foot wheelbase making them very manoeuvrable. All of the big four operated examples and many remained under British Railways into the 50's.

• Informative/Useful 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Mikkel,

A nice start.  The Slater's Clerestory coaches are lovely.  I have 3 part built examples from my 4mm days (one of each of the models produced) - I really ought to either finish them or put them on the bay of E as I have no use for them!  But then I still have a lot of 4mm stuff that I ought to get rid of 🤣

I look forward to seeing how your build proceeds.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

Mikkel,

A nice start.  The Slater's Clerestory coaches are lovely.  I have 3 part built examples from my 4mm days (one of each of the models produced) - I really ought to either finish them or put them on the bay of E as I have no use for them!  But then I still have a lot of 4mm stuff that I ought to get rid of 🤣

I look forward to seeing how your build proceeds.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I believe Slaters are putting the 4mm kits back on the market soon. It would be nice to see some more of them on people's layouts, I like these medium-sized clerestories.

40 minutes ago, mullie said:

Mikkel

What is the white gadget you are using to hold the sides and ends in place please. Looks a really nice build.

Martyn

Hi Martyn, they are magnetic clamps from Smart Models. They have various types: http://www.smartmodels.co.uk/tools.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 9