Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

gettyimages-613478594-2048x2048.jpg.39ba415948f190b1b19aac20a98e2bd8.jpg

Out-of-order clocks from Great Western Railway stations are repaired in a shop in Reading, Berkshire, England. March 2, 1934. Source: Getty images.

I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled. Easter's come and gone with family commitments, but tree building is now back on track, here is another one underway. 

IMG_20210405_095730692_HDR.jpg.0ed9bd5deed75dd1a21032bd3fe7c45d.jpg

Hairdressers opened back up in Denmark today, first time since before christmas, so everyone's been having haircuts, tree included :)

IMG_20210406_092318686_HDR.jpg.5a03dc169b8b6d4208978e562c1cef8d.jpg

For the wires I'm using the approach suggested by Treemendus, i.e. rather than twist everything you just twist one wire around the rest. Once the bark goes on it's not noticeable (I do add 3 layers of bark mix), especially if a bit of masking tape is used on the main trunk first.

IMG_20210406_093048343_HDR.jpg.6b0b60a6dbbfdc83e76d23d499930cfe.jpg

Edited to add: I've now found it helps to leave larger gaps between the "rotations" of the wire. That way it becomes less obvious.

Edited by Mikkel
The bottoms!
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

"People in Denmark will be able to “plant trees” from the comfort of their sofa in what is believed to be the world's first TV fundraiser for forests".... as reported in the Guardian here https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/13/danish-project-aims-to-plant-1m-trees-across-nation-in-tv-fundraiser.... well I never!

Kit PW

Edited by kitpw
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Smith of Derby had the contract for supply and maintenance of clocks on the Midland Railway. I'm unclear how Dent got the St Pancras job, but all subsequent clock-work has been by the Derby firm. Very confusingly, there is another firm of Smith in Derby who were also major suppliers to the Midland, but of brasswork.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a clock that is right at least four times a day - unless you are working on a 24 hour timetable, in which case halve that number. I have no idea what the other two faces showed. Do you like the steam-punk lights?

Brighton station clock 27 6 2011.jpg

P.s. I thought that the tower supporting Big Ben was called St. Stephen's Tower before HM Elizabeth.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Welchester said:

The one on the right's definitely a syrup, and I suspect the one behind is too.

I was more curious about the short-sleeved cardie he is wearing. Not a garment I have seen before. It looks a bit American.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

I was more curious about the short-sleeved cardie he is wearing. Not a garment I have seen before. It looks a bit American.

Strikes me as quite a practical garment to wear when doing fine work in a cold room. He's not going to get any loose fibres caught in the clockwork.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Joyce of Whitchurch, very celebrated clock (showing the four quarter hours, Stephen)

D269CB31-11A6-4003-B7EA-DCF07BA9905C.jpeg.499a3353368373902d1d2074b1029e08.jpeg

I recognise that one!

Behind that clock, inside the cafe is another antique which has a great deal of personal value. It is a cast iron radiator. 

When we have been for a winter hurtle on the motorcycles, we go in, order a pot of tea and hog the radiator until we are in a fit state to make the journey home and start the thawing out process again.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, kitpw said:

"People in Denmark will be able to “plant trees” from the comfort of their sofa in what is believed to be the world's first TV fundraiser for forests".... as reported in the Guardian here https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/13/danish-project-aims-to-plant-1m-trees-across-nation-in-tv-fundraiser.... well I never!

Kit PW

We modellers should start a carbon credit scheme. People send us money, we plant a tree on our layout. Simples, win-win, low-hanging fruits, lots of buy-in and scalable too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

We modellers should start a carbon credit scheme. People send us money, we plant a tree on our layout. Simples, win-win, low-hanging fruits, lots of buy-in and scalable too.

It could work, unless it got out how much of the materials come halfway around the world on an enormous stinky container ship!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

low-hanging fruits

The thing about low hanging fruit is that it is generally the ripest, so is the most likely to go mouldy... (quick win = short win.)

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Interesting to see how animals behave with such things. Both dogs I have owned were partial to apples. They wouldn't eat windfalls though. They would get up on their hind legs and pull one off the tree.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 30/03/2021 at 16:42, MAP66 said:

That’s an excellent idea, inserting the test armatures into the tree to see how different finer scatters behave in comparison to the coarse turf.

I agree, the course turf looks the best for your trees, but all 3 products have their particular uses. Not just for different species of trees but for depicting the seasons as well. The ‘airier’ look demonstrated by the finer scatters would be just right for modelling trees in spring and with a change of colour autumn.

With the Silver Birch, I am being super critical on myself as I have now seen what is possible from Gordon Gravett’s book on trees. He has a Silver Birch which passes as the real thing, you can’t tell the difference from the photo. So, I will embark with (Silver Birch Mark II) after I’ve finished the Oak.

I have had a copy of Modelling Trees part one by Gordon Gravett on my eBay watch list for some time. After reading your post and watching a couple of YouTube videos (Not too practical on a phone) I have taken the plunge and blown £21.95 plus postage on a copy.

It has just arrived and a skin read over lunch says it's money well spent. 

PS. Sorry, but I had to blame someone.

In the event of a girl on a motorcycle arriving at your house, hide! 

She's not delivering pizza!

IMG_20210407_125132.jpg.be8a9dbf668f0fdd8c0226cd4e7b34ef.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

The cover alone looks superb. I've decided not to buy it until I've finished making the trees I currently need. That way I won't be disappointed with my work and have to start over. Always aim for mediocrity! :D

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

In the event of a girl on a motorcycle arriving at your house, hide! 

Normally, when this happens, I always invite them in for a nice cup of tea and slice of cake. However, I shall take heed and have drawn the curtains, lights off and am currently cowering behind the sofa. If you could let me know when its safe to come out, so that I can build some more trees :lol:

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You're safe, things took an unexpected turn, I haven't actually got to read it properly yet as somebody was fascinated by which trees were real and which weren't. 

In a nutshell, the memsahib has pinched it for 'a quick read' and it's too near bedtime for me to study it properly now! :D

I'm glad you mentioned it actually. It is going to be very useful.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1