Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

I use the kitchen table a lot - watched and often ‘helped’ by my 4 year old son...despite having a workbench in the loft space!

D

Do you use a tray or something similar? I worry about having to take things out and packing them away during every modelling session.

Good luck!  Some of us already have to manage on the kitchen table (in turns with the other half).

We have however just acquired a Silhouette Cameo thanks to you.  You might like to let us know what spare blades we should buy!

We shall keep watching

Regards

Ray

Thanks Ray! Good to hear you have got yourself a Cameo cutter. I think there are many opinions on the blades. I began with the standard Silhouette ratched ones, then tried the cheaper types with a CB09 holder (as illustrated by Mike on Jason's thread here), but am currently using the Silhouette premium blade. This is more costly but I like the simplicity of it and it has proven durable so far. Other opinions are available, and many on here are more experienced with this than I am.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mikkle

Good luck with the move and I hope you are as happy in your new house as we are. We moved 30 months ago and for the first 21 mths worked off the table, past 8 mths have a room but still too busy with the remodeling of the property. Soon will be back modelling properly again

Thanks John, well if that excellent trackwork comes off a normal table then there is hope. I see you're looking at loco building again, should be good.

I can understand your concerns Mikkel but I'm certain the house move is in good hands.....

attachicon.gifhouse-moving-from-UK.jpg

However, I not sure that all of your modelling equipment will get there at the same time......

attachicon.gifswindon6.jpg

All the very best and hope you and the family settle into your new house.

G

Ha! Wish we had that crew and some GWR motive power to help. The amount of modelling stuff to pack has been especially surprising. Amazing how much of it we amass!

Good luck with the move...

Looking back to early August.. The waggon load box from 'Froth & Bile', with a crest on the end of the box.....
I suspect it's been covered elsewhere, but if so, it's eluded me. How was this done, please.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, we're getting there!

The crates were done by printing on veneer sheets,as described at the outset of the thread here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97672-pragmatic-pre-grouping-mikkels-workbench/page-1

Note that it requires a top-feed printer.

• Like 2

Many thanks, uhmn, like any 'Proper Story', start at the beginning (of the Topic) - then there's a middle and an end.....
Just need access to a top feed printer now. 
EDIT.

It seems Crafty Paper etc., are no longer trading,  I may be short sighted, but I couldn't see a UK based alternative.
However, I can see a way round this, especially if the viewer is more than 2 feet away...
But, that hint of real wood, can't be disguised, however much one try's.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel I suggest using one of those tv tables placing a cloth on top to protect it and a suitable portable workbench. I made mine to fit in an old brief case which makes it easy to store away. I also used to take it on trains when travelling for work. I could usually find a bit of room for a few papers ( I was a Project Manager) as well as a slaters 7mm kit or two.

post-8525-0-62949000-1391162925_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-74552600-1391162909_thumb.jpg

I have a pair of extra strength reading glasses £1 from poundland for manification

Don

PS 

The TV table folds for storage. The workbench is a pice of melamine with ply sides etc. MDF or PLy would do. The sides are vertical which is handy for aligning corners.

pp Hope the move goes well

Edited by Donw
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks, uhmn, like any 'Proper Story', start at the beginning (of the Topic) - then there's a middle and an end.....

Just need access to a top feed printer now. 

EDIT.

It seems Crafty Paper etc., are no longer trading,  I may be short sighted, but I couldn't see a UK based alternative.

However, I can see a way round this, especially if the viewer is more than 2 feet away...

But, that hint of real wood, can't be disguised, however much one try's.

Oh no, that's not good news. I was also planning to do more crates. There appears to be something similar here, but they are in the US: 

https://www.realwoodpaper.com/printable-wood-sheets/

https://www.cardsofwood.com/micro-thin-wood-veneer/

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel I suggest using one of those tv tables placing a cloth on top to protect it and a suitable portable workbench. I made mine to fit in an old brief case which makes it easy to store away. I also used to take it on trains when travelling for work. I could usually find a bit of room for a few papers ( I was a Project Manager) as well as a slaters 7mm kit or two.

I have a pair of extra strength reading glasses £1 from poundland for manification

Don

PS 

The TV table folds for storage. The workbench is a pice of melamine with ply sides etc. MDF or PLy would do. The sides are vertical which is handy for aligning corners.

pp Hope the move goes well

Thanks Don, as Simon says that looks very neat indeed. I like the idea of simply opening and shutting a lid, and the easy storage. Looks like the way to go!

• Like 2

Mikkel, downloaded a few wood grained images and using a 'stencil' font, all seems well, or near as.

I do my lettering etc., in Excel, because I can adjust the printout size in 'Set-up', so for this exercise I've ended up at 20% of the screen, etc., size.  My version of MSWord doesn't seem to allow that, and I limit the number of programmes I want to use anyway.

Edit, Ooops missed your reply - Yes, plenty in the USA.
But apart from digital photographs, I doubt many people will be close enough to the packages to see my work-around.

Many thanks Mikkel for the inspiration.

This Cart was done the same way, lettering etc about 10 times bigger than the final size, and then the paper glued to a brass sheet former. 
I think they must be going fast round a bend, a cart wheel's off the ground and the horse is leaning into the bend  :no: 

post-6979-0-38175300-1534939973.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel, downloaded a few wood grained images and using a 'stencil' font, all seems well, or near as.

I do my lettering etc., in Excel, because I can adjust the printout size in 'Set-up', so for this exercise I've ended up at 20% of the screen, etc., size.  My version of MSWord doesn't seem to allow that, and I limit the number of programmes I want to use anyway.

Edit, Ooops missed your reply - Yes, plenty in the USA.

But apart from digital photographs, I doubt many people will be close enough to the packages to see my work-around.

Many thanks Mikkel for the inspiration.

This Cart was done the same way, lettering etc about 10 times bigger than the final size, and then the paper glued to a brass sheet former. 

I think they must be going fast round a bend, a cart wheel's off the ground and the horse is leaning into the bend  :no: 

attachicon.gifLNWRDeliveryB.jpg

That sounds like a useful workaround, must remember that. 

I very much like that LNWR wagon. Some GWR wagons had a similar rigid top, and I've been wondering how to model that. The brass sheet former method is just the solution I was looking for. Thanks!

There is a "purpose made" modelling table available from Intentio 

http://intentio.co.uk/hbxookyxrmfnv4quq9c9w/

Many thanks Richard, that does look interesting. Will investigate.

• Like 4

That sounds like a useful workaround, must remember that. 

I very much like that LNWR wagon. Some GWR wagons had a similar rigid top, and I've been wondering how to model that. The brass sheet former method is just the solution I was looking for. Thanks!

Many thanks Richard, that does look interesting. Will investigate.

A system I have seen is to use the plastic stationary stacking trays to store projects, also some of these trays designed to be used whilst in an arm chair have possibilities  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, that sounds like a whole new angle on armchair modelling!

Speaking of plastic trays, I have been eyeing these shelves in our "out" pile. They are from the Ikea "Trofast" range and were originally used for something else, but two of those could fit in a closet. Each tray could store all the bits of a given project as you say John. The point is that they can be easily taken out and moved to the temporary workbench. Maybe I should try and sneak them into the "keep" pile! 

post-738-0-33594400-1535056468_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Do you have Chinese takeaway meals there?attachicon.gifD0E49441-BBB3-4AF9-B311-11A5C4A693E8.jpeg

Yes, but I prefer curry and I don't know if  works with curry  :laugh:

I'm intrigued by the box on the right. A Beyer loco built in 18... something?

I use gardeners' 'gravel trays' for storing my modelling bits and pieces.  you need the sort without drainage holes or small parts will disappear!

e.g. http://stewart-garden.co.uk/products/black/22cm/premium-gravel-tray-without-holes/ (no connection with this firm)

Thanks Mike. Clicking further led me to a propagator. Z scale roundy-roundy anyone?

On a related note, I came upon Chris Nevard's layout in a box while browsing today. Great stuff.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, that sounds like a whole new angle on armchair modelling!

Speaking of plastic trays, I have been eyeing these shelves in our "out" pile. They are from the Ikea "Trofast" range and were originally used for something else, but two of those could fit in a closet. Each tray could store all the bits of a given project as you say John. The point is that they can be easily taken out and moved to the temporary workbench. Maybe I should try and sneak them into the "keep" pile! 

attachicon.gifIMG_20180823_221529743_LL.jpg

When our cat died the litter tray well washed was adopted for modelling use. 

Don

• RMweb Gold

That's a good looking engine. There is something very appealing about 2-4-0s. Don't think I've seen two loco jacks on a loco before, but maybe that's just because you can't normally see both sides?

Perhaps the extra bogie wheels were intended for another tub. Happens all the time when I order take away...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...