NuCast re-releases

I think Stephen Poole also did an E4, F3, and perhaps a F7.

Thane of Fife

Don't know about the F3 and F7, but he certainly did an E4 that got transferred in to the Nu-Cast range. Guess where this came from!

post-5925-0-55436400-1427803468_thumb.jpg

Phil

PS - It doesn't run on the original Nu-cast chassis!

Hi,

When Bill Stott (Nu Cast) bought the Stephen Poole range I got the job of refurbishing the brass masters before Bill had  new rubber moulds made from them. Part of this exercise involved reducing the thickness of some components (to reduce weight as the caster he used charged by weight). Not sure of how many as I no longer have my records from then but I think I can  remember the E4 . an 0-6-2T  a 2-4-2T an 0-6-0 tender loco and the little 0-4-0ST There were others but some I only saw bits of. 

I presume from some of the earlier posts in this thread that the new owners have had new rubber moulds produced from the brass masters but am surprised that they have included the Sentinel Shunter as this was originally plastic body on white metal footplate/axleboxes etc.   I did the patterns (for the underneath bits) for Bill and supplied him with plastic mouldings for the body.   I still have the mould plates but have not made any mouldings from them for perhaps 30 years. I wanted to use a Tenshodo to power this but Bill insisted on a white metal arrangement for the chassis.  We had the same disagreement about the Sentinel Railcar (I lost there too. The customer is always right) and the power arrangements were always a weakness in these.

best wishes,

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The Sentinel shunter I built about 20 years ago (Autocom?) was indeed a plastic body with whitemetal below but with a cast weight that also acted as a mounting for a Tenshodo unit, it seems you won in the end Ian!

Hi,

When Bill Stott (Nu Cast) bought the Stephen Poole range I got the job of refurbishing the brass masters before Bill had  new rubber moulds made from them. Part of this exercise involved reducing the thickness of some components (to reduce weight as the caster he used charged by weight). Not sure of how many as I no longer have my records from then but I think I can  remember the E4 . an 0-6-2T  a 2-4-2T an 0-6-0 tender loco and the little 0-4-0ST There were others but some I only saw bits of. 

Ian

The 0-6-0 being the J15, the new rtr version probably renders the kit pretty well pointless ??

The 0-6-0 being the J15, the new rtr version probably renders the kit pretty well pointless ??

There'll still be a limited market wanting some for P4 purposes. It's either that or waiting for the next batch of AGW kits.

RTR isn't the answer to everything.

Hi,

I presume from some of the earlier posts in this thread that the new owners have had new rubber moulds produced from the brass masters but am surprised that they have included the Sentinel Shunter as this was originally plastic body on white metal footplate/axleboxes etc.   I did the patterns (for the underneath bits) for Bill and supplied him with plastic mouldings for the body.   I still have the mould plates but have not made any mouldings from them for perhaps 30 years. I wanted to use a Tenshodo to power this but Bill insisted on a white metal arrangement for the chassis.  We had the same disagreement about the Sentinel Railcar (I lost there too. The customer is always right) and the power arrangements were always a weakness in these.

best wishes,

Ian

Hi Ian

Have you spoken with Dave Ellis of SE Finecast about this? I was speaking with him earlier today and from what was said, I suspect he may be interested in any information others have about work they've done, bits they have etc.

As bike2steam says, the 0-6-0 is a J15, the 0-6-2 is an N2, the 2-4-2 is an F4/5 (and is one that, I believe, Dave can produce body castings for as the moulds seem to be in reasonable condition, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!) and the 0-4-0 is a Nielsen Coffee-pot.

As Horsetan says, there will still be a market for kits (although not just for P4 modellers) , especially for those who, like me, enjoy building locos.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Did the nucast range include the sutherland and K's wagon kits in the end? There are some interesting wagons in there if it did, mind you I doubt they are high up the list to get re-done. Propably down there with the Ex HR stuff!

andy G

I've never seen those other than in the Sutherland or NuCast boxes, so if they do still exist and are part of the range they may be much harder to bring back to market or it would have been done already.

To the best of my knowledge Autocom never marketed them.

Hi,

The Sutherland wagon kits were mostly a joint effort with white metal underframe bits and plastic bodies. I did the brass patterns for Sutherland but owned the body moulds. Sometime later at least some of the wagons got plastic underframes and were incorporated into my range, going eventually to Parkside or Colin Ashby.  The LNER fish van and pipe wagon definitely were.  I can not for the life of me remember what happened to the Highland meat van and loco coal which were also plastic bodied. The Highland single bolster wagon was all white metal. A Highland Coach was projected  (to go with the HR loco kits) but alas never got beyond the planning stage.

best wishes,

Ian

I've got a pair of Sutherland HR Bolsters that I built thirty years ago - they're solid white metal. Nice things, but a little out of place on the Hawkhurst Branch!

I've got a Nu cast Sentinel which i've just re-engined with a tenshodo bogie after years of running with the original powertrain and then my own verson. This was an interesting thing, the original being a cast block with plastic motor mounts and a gear train to a woem for each axle. i seem to think that the motor was a DS10. It ran poorly and i replaced much of the castings with a brass chassis I'd made myself, re-using the original gearing. The motor bogie swap has at last allowed me to include some detail inside the sentinel, something that a mobile box on wheels needs!

I've also got a Nu-cast "Y5", the first kit I ever built and a lovely thing. For years it ran with the white metal chassis block and an anchoridge D11 crammed inside. A good few years back, i bought a pair of new frames from autocom and my next job is to put these under the body. It's a beautiful little thing and I'm very attached to it...

happy days!

Stewart

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So what do we have there?

16XX, J70, Fowler 0-8-0, Sentinel 0_4_0 VBT, is that a H class 0-4-4T ??

Can't place the round cab roofed tank and is that long bunkered tank, lower left second photo, a L&Y 2-4-2T .

Interesting developments for sure.

The "H" is a SEF (ex-Wills) product anyway. Nothing to do with NuCast.

The 16xx will be useful, and maybe we might see things like the "Modified Hall" make a comeback - the latter would be particularly opportune given the much-discussed "issues" with the Bachmann one.

So what do we have there?

16XX, J70, Fowler 0-8-0, Sentinel 0_4_0 VBT, is that a H class 0-4-4T ??

Can't place the round cab roofed tank and is that long bunkered tank, lower left second photo, a L&Y 2-4-2T .

Interesting developments for sure.

Some of those are (as Horsetan has pointed out already) are existing Finecast kits. The 0-4-4T is actually a LCDR R1, and the round roofed tank engine is a South Eastern R class 0-6-0T.

There is also an LMS Fowler 7f 0.8.0 loco with the indication 'soon'?

Indeed there is.

The other one which I'm keeping a lookout for is the ex-K's Hawksworth 15xx. I've already started hacking a Lima 94xx body to see how close I can get to it; AGW produces basic milled frames for it but, as for cylinders / valve gear, you're on your own.

Archived