Herculaneum Dock

Michael Edge

Might be worth looking into that suggestion, compression is quite considerable just here which is why the roadway got lost in the first place. The idea behind the layout design was to keep as much of the operation possible, removing sidings which duplicated others. Brunswick loco shed and the first part of Herculaneum Dock are more or less to scale but elsewhere considerable length and some width was lost. Most visitors find the overall impression very convincing though.

Rule 1 applies - it is your railway.

Happy Christmas. 

Gordon A

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At the running session yesterday ...

post-7650-0-53764600-1515175592_thumb.jpg

we have Dr Aldrick, Nicktoix, Mike Edge, Ken Nelson and Innocentman... as for me, I was hiding behind the camera....

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Folks

I really wanted to see this at Nottingham but 170 cm / 7 inches of snow have put paid to that - can't get out of my house!

When and where will you be exhibiting Herculanium Dock next?

Art

• RMweb Premium

Great to see Herculaneum Dock running at Nottingham. Such a lot going on and great detail. The Overhead Railway steals the show but the MDHB lines underneath, the main line, sidings and overall smoky atmosphere make it highly evocative. Though some mainline trains were strangely 'short of steam' on the circuit!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Hi Folks

I really wanted to see this at Nottingham but 170 cm / 7 inches of snow have put paid to that - can't get out of my house!

When and where will you be exhibiting Herculanium Dock next?

Art

Train West next April is the next booked appearance - in fact it's the only one at the moment. Strange how a layout so popular with the public fails to interest most exhibition organisers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Train West next April is the next booked appearance - in fact it's the only one at the moment. Strange how a layout so popular with the public fails to interest most exhibition organisers.

They'll be the ones that claim that all the public wants to see are gaudy high-speed tail-chasers.

• RMweb Premium

Dava, despite the floor appearing to be flat the "climb" out of Liverpool was a bit of a problem!

And a lack of electrical oomph wasn't helping!

Baz

Big layout - won't fit my venue

Needs van - too expensive for small shows- my budget runs to ONE van only (for 17 layouts)

Outside own local area needs accommodation - too expensive for smaller shows.

A layout I'd love to have but I can't afford it and the hall isn't big enough - I'd have to sacrifice three or maybe more from the total - and when that total is 17 that reduces the attractiveness of the show rather than enhancing it.

Les

wearing exhibition manager of a smaller show hat.

Swapping hat for the one that says "layout co-ordinator for Rise Park" whenever anyone approaches me about RP at a show my opening gambit is "the van will cost you £175" - at which point show managers have been known to say "We can't afford that".

Edited by Les1952

Thanks Michael.

I'm guessing that you mean April 2019 when you say "next April" rather than about 10 days' time?

Art

So would I, but it has been pointed out to me in the past that "next" April IS this April if we haven't yet reached April. I can't argue with that as a technically correct point, but I still use "next" when referring to a day or month in next week or next year. Maybe I/we should say "April next year" instead, but it's such hard work to use an extra word....

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

With Herculaneum Dock now effectively finished it's stored in the middle of the shed and the fiddle yard ready for Wentworth Junction - see new thread on this for layout developments.

Link please!

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

With an exhibition coming up in April work continues on Herculaneum Dock. One of the great irritations has been the lack of working signals, particularly with the colour lights. Both the main line and LOR signals are of great historical significance, the CLC was one of the earliest (1930s) examples of multiple aspect signalling in Britain - the Brunswick panel is preserved at York - and the LOR was the world's first automatic system in 1921.

About a year ago I bought a two aspect signal and a track sensor from Train Tech and last week I finally got round to trying them out, a lash up on the DCC test track showed that they did exactly what they were supposed to do so today it was time to try fitting one to the overhead.

post-1643-0-20166300-1546711824_thumb.jpg

They do come attached to a fairly large circuit board which is going to be difficult to hide under the LOR, the signal head is about the right size but should really be hung on the side of the post. The test train is approaching a signal which normally shows green, just to the right of the BluTack is the IR sensor which turns the aspect to red as the train passes it. Normally these are designed to lie horizontal and react to a train passing over but there isn't enough room to fit it all in at the side so this one is mounted vertically just below the top flange of the girder. The train on the other track demonstrates that this is out of range.

post-1643-0-36251200-1546712147_thumb.jpg

As soon as the train passes the sensor the signal goes to red, if the signals are stand alone ones it will return to green after an interval but this interval isn't long enough to allow for a station stop.

post-1643-0-31999300-1546712269_thumb.jpg

However the signals can be linked together with a single wire, in this lash up the wire comes from a separate sensor unit clipped to the handrails (this one will be used in the fiddle yard area eventually) but normally it would be the next signal down the line. As the train passes this it returns the first signal to green and if this was a signal it would got to red.

All absolutely simple, the only wiring is to connect each signal to the DCC track, no switches and all automatic. It is possible to fit override switches as well and at least one will be required for the signal protecting the car shed exit.

• Like 7