Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

I'm not so sure that's the reason (though it's a good one). I think the ex-LSWR models aren't actually that many. Much of what ran over the LSWR metals were Southern locomotives (S15, West Country/BoB, Schools, King Arthur, Q1, Merchant Navy). The ex-LSWR ones are really only the likes of the M7 (which also ran elsewhere), 700 and T9. However add in the O2 and Well Tank and it starts to look a little lopsided, but those were Kernow commissions and Kernow like to focus on what ran in Cornwall, which had quite an LSWR bias. I'm sure the E4, Atlantic (when it arrives) and the H are the 'beginnings' of the coverage of the other two companies.

Still need a U though ;)

Don,t forget the C and terriers. Then the Adams radial too.

I understand from others that the U class had many minor detail differences between each class member. But I certainly want some though.

Ok all OT. Back to where we were B4....

• RMweb Gold

That's a mystery to me why no one has come up with one of these. I'm convinced it would sell extremely well.

I had always assumed it was believed the superficial resemblance to an N would limit sales. Yet Hornby have produced an S15 as well as N15, despite a comparable similarity. U remains a major gap, as you say.

A little tale about the B4 ! Back in 1968 I saw '96 Corral Queen down at Dibles Wharf in Southampton when she was out of use alongside RSH Bonnie Prince Charlie. My Dad was looking to purchase a steam loco and we crawled all over both locos (I was 5 at the time !). Due to lack of funds Dad could only make one purchase and bought Bonnie Prince Charlie for 400 pounds (and moved the loco to didcot)!! What was the asking price for the pair that we couldn't afford ? 700 quid !! Happy to say though both BPC and Coral Queen made it into preservation, I got a lifetime of fun driving Charlie and all ended up well !I'm looking forward to this release as I'll get a B4 and modify it to represent Coral Queen as I remember her !

Cheerio

Clive

Edited by Nearlymen
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A little tale about the B4 ! Back in 1968 I saw '96 Corral Queen down at Dibles Wharf in Southampton when she was out of use alongside RHS Bonnie Prince Charlie. My Dad was looking to purchase a steam loco and we crawled all over both locos (I was 5 at the time !). Due to lack of funds Dad could only make one purchase and bought Bonnie Prince Charlie for 400 pounds (and moved the loco to didcot)!! What was the asking price for the pair that we couldn't afford ? 700 quid !! Happy to say though both BPC and Coral Queen made it into preservation, I got a lifetime of fun driving Charlie and all ended up well !I'm looking forward to this release as I'll get a B4 and modify it to represent Coral Queen as I remember her !

Cheerio

Clive

...and that's another loco we need - BPC! I absolutely cannot understand why it's never been done RTR! It's such a popular loco! ;) ;) ;)

(saying that, as soon as I manage to get pics at this July's Didcot visit, and if I can resolve my housing crisis maybe later on a scan of it and produce some kind of 3D print, I bet it'll get produced RTR!)

• RMweb Gold

Is there a reason in particular that the ex LSWR is modelled quite generously compared to ex LBSCR / SECR or just coincidence?

Possibly because the main lines remained purely steam-operated routes longer than the others. Being the last (50th anniversary imminent) attracted a lot of attention and many modellers are of an age to have been around at the time.

Also, the Brighton had a habit of modifying small batches of their locos in a fairly random fashion, to the extent that they ended up with very few classes numerous enough to grab the attention of the r-t-r makers (the obvious choice, the E4, has been done) with, all too often, no two the same within a class/subclass. You think Bulleid Pacifics are a minefield?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Far more attractive locomotives which ran over very appealing routes.

Simply the best of the constituent companies which went on to make up the Southern.

Seemples.

Rob

C'mon ....... there's never been a locomotive built that's far more attractive than a Wainwright 'D' ( not even ever so slightly more attractive, in fact !).

At least with the H & H2 there'll be a little more balance, I hope it's a sign of things that come. =) Fortunately with my layout being set during wartime I have a bit more leeway with Western locos travelling East, so I think I can get away with my 700, M7, T9 & S15, The Merchant Navy might be clutching at straws but meh ;) which brings me back to my original question which I don't think got answered (apologies if I missed it) Did B4s ever come Eastwards?

Candidate for most Easterly B4 in BR operation, 30086 at Guildford as shed pilot? To be displaced in time, for the second time, by a USA tank too...

C'mon ....... there's never been a locomotive built that's far more attractive than a Wainwright 'D' ( not even ever so slightly more attractive, in fact !).

I raise you the Stirling Single Sir!

Of 4-4-0 designs, the Wainwright D takes the palm alright: I am surprised that the NRM has not yet got around to a model of this delightful machine. The benefit is that unlike the T9  and Schools marred by traction tyres, both B&H can now make a tractively competent 4-4-0 without such encumbrances. 'Tis an ill wind... 

Quite a few made it into industrial service, not least of all the one which spent time on the clifftops of North Yorkshire at Skinningrove Ironworks.

With that in mind I'm quite happy to have one shunting No Place, a Durham colliery......

Les

• Like 2

Candidate for most Easterly B4 in BR operation, 30086 at Guildford as shed pilot? To be displaced in time, for the second time, by a USA tank too...

I raise you the Stirling Single Sir!

Of 4-4-0 designs, the Wainwright D takes the palm alright: I am surprised that the NRM has not yet got around to a model of this delightful machine. The benefit is that unlike the T9  and Schools marred by traction tyres, both B&H can now make a tractively competent 4-4-0 without such encumbrances. 'Tis an ill wind... 

........ and messrs 'B' already have a Wainwright tender that won't need much tweaking to be right for the 'D' ( they've even done the most complex livery for it ) ...........

I have seen a photo of a B4 sitting at Southampton docks 1973, I believe it was sold into industrial use.

Don't know what happened to it after this date.

The B4 is high on my list this year as a model.

Quite a few made it into industrial service, not least of all the one which spent time on the clifftops of North Yorkshire at Skinningrove Ironworks.

With that in mind I'm quite happy to have one shunting No Place, a Durham colliery......

Les

As I recall approximately half of the class were either scrapped or sold into industrial use in the months following nationalization I believe some of the latter lasted into the late 50's early 60's. Full details of the class can be found in the book entitled 'The B4 Dock Tanks' by Peter Cooper. I don't have my copy to hand unfortunately but for anyone wanting one of these models I think you have almost unlimited opportunity to find an excuse to run one wherever your model railway is portraying To answer darren01 that loco was ex 30096 sold to Corrals and used to shunt Dibbles Wharf. It had previously been one of the pair used as the shunter at Winchester City

It is now located at the Bluebell Railway

Norm

• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-55197800-1497620937_thumb.jpg

If anyone is going to the GCR weekend Dapols EP B4 is on their stand as are GW Railcar EP's, decorated bubble cars, 7mm Jinty 3F, and a very early and interesting 57xx chassis with working inside valve gear.

A few more images here

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2017/06/16/great-central-weekend/

And some video of the 57xx chassis on the Albion Yard Facebook page.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This looks rather nice, I must say.

Once more the wallet lets out a plaintive squeak........

Rob.

• 4 weeks later...

Liveries of the standard models of the B4 https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/album/5697-lswr-b4-livery-sheets

Nice but, the BR black is stated as RAL9017 which is a very dark (almost graphite) grey and a tad too light to be BR Black. Indeed the images are even in grey, but that might be just to pick out details.

This is not a complaint, just pointing it out so that hopefully we will be assured that black means black and not dark grey on the models. (Can you imagine the uproar here if such a basic colour was got wrong? BR Blue might be subjective, but BR black is not).

Nice but, the BR black is stated as RAL9017 which is a very dark (almost graphite) grey and a tad too light to be BR Black. Indeed the images are even in grey, but that might be just to pick out details.

This is not a complaint, just pointing it out so that hopefully we will be assured that black means black and not dark grey on the models. (Can you imagine the uproar here if such a basic colour was got wrong? BR Blue might be subjective, but BR black is not).

RAL 9017 = 'Traffic Black' ....................... and seems to be Dapol's chosen black for all versions, not just the B.R. one ............................... suits me, it'll simplify the weathering process - so the loco looks like it's been in .... er ..... traffic for a while ! ( Alternately we could re-open the 'scale colour' can of worms if you prefer !!?! )