Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

It shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as there are the right number of dimples and they are correctly located.

Rows of small holes are quite tricky things to represent well in injection mouldings and it's the work of moments with a pin vice to transform a dimple into a hole.

Personally, I'd far rather have to do that than (possibly) having over-sized holes to deal with.

John

John, I realise that I do not understand the difference between dimples and pimples!  The model appears to sport pimples. I think there should be holes, not pimples.  It seems to me that drilling out the holes in the right place would not be too problematic.  The trickier issue is removing the pimples, particularly if these were in the wrong place (i.e. not where the holes should be), especially if located too low and in conflict with the lining.

These are relatively trivial issues - the otiose pimples, lack of holes, and position of the boiler-band - but unfortunately ones that might be impossible to amend without compromising the fine cosmetic finish of the lined examples.

• RMweb Gold

John, I realise that I do not understand the difference between dimples and pimples!  The model appears to sport pimples. I think there should be holes, not pimples.  It seems to me that drilling out the holes in the right place would not be too problematic.  The trickier issue is removing the pimples, particularly if these were in the wrong place (i.e. not where the holes should be), especially if located too low and in conflict with the lining.

These are relatively trivial issues - the otiose pimples, lack of holes, and position of the boiler-band - but unfortunately ones that might be impossible to amend without compromising the fine cosmetic finish of the lined examples.

Ah. That's a pity.

It makes things rather more tricky - dimples would be easy, just treat them as centre-pops and bingo (assuming they are correctly placed and the right number).

Pimples will have to be removed before we can mark/drill any holes required.... 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Ah. That's a pity.

It makes things rather more tricky - dimples would be easy, just treat them as centre-pops and bingo (assuming they are correctly placed and the right number).

Pimples will have to be removed before we can mark/drill any holes required.... 

John

...... yes you always need to drill a hole before you insert a rivet ........ in fact you can count on that !

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Several months ago I enquired via the Dapol website about joining the collectors club specifically so that I could order the LSWR liveried B4. 

And I've heard nothing back, despite a couple more attempts to contact them.

I can only assume that it is already over-subscribed and they don't want my business.

• RMweb Premium

Several months ago I enquired via the Dapol website about joining the collectors club specifically so that I could order the LSWR liveried B4.

And I've heard nothing back, despite a couple more attempts to contact them.

I can only assume that it is already over-subscribed and they don't want my business.

I phoned them a couple of weeks ago and they couldn’t have been more helpful

• 2 weeks later...

Asked today, I was told to expect them in around a months time.

.......but there has been deathly silence from wider Dapol sources. 

• RMweb Gold

.......but there has been deathly silence from wider Dapol sources.

Depends who your asking.

My source was wearing a personalised Dapol shirt, and is well known.

I trust him, so to me that’s all that matters.

But I reckon they’ll be here soon.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice to see this soon.

This year is mainly a 'small engine' year for me with the B4 being the first of the 'must haves' along with a couple of Pecketts later on.

I have held off buying a Hattons P. It's not really my area as I am firmly in the South Western camp, however the Rails Terrier is undermining that resolve.

Rob.

This year is mainly a 'small engine' year for me with the B4 being the first of the 'must haves' along with a couple of Pecketts later on.

I have held off buying a Hattons P. It's not really my area as I am firmly in the South Western camp, however the Rails Terrier is undermining that resolve.

Twelve months ago I was keeping my resolve - but now I'm all over the shop like a mad woman's custard.  My South Western connections remain important, as William Adams' brother Robert, and his son William Jr. established an Australian connection.  My ex-wife is a descendant of Robert.  But now Harry Wainwright has destroyed my focus.  Thank goodness the Southern Railway found reason to scatter its locomotives around in my alternative antipodean universe. 

• Like 2

OT, but what exactly is a mad woman's custard?  :scratchhead:

I learned the expression from a colleague who is a Cambridge educated mathematician. I assume that it refers to a random result.  Equally descriptive was his 'up and down like the bride's nighty'.

Hopefully not to soon. I’ve spent my B4 money on hattons P class plus a set of birdcage coaches.

Big james

You could economise and just buy the Brake Third which is documented as running as a singleton after SR modifications. That's my excuse anyway

post-4181-0-76889200-1522872173_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1