FoamCore plywood sandwich baseboard - Any ideas

Junctionmad

My unfashionable hat is chucked into the ring as well.

I built my castle works layout using a 4' x 4' sheet of 50mm celotex which had 3mm ply evo stick'd to the top and bottom, the board was then cut with a jig saw to make a 2' radii circle.

I used sticks like glue around the entire circumference of the boards50 mm depth and then stuck strips of hardboard to it held in place with a ratchet strap for 48 hrs.

The hardboard was then planed flush to the play surface.

The layout was completely portable and could be carried in one hand ( just) the buildings were all then built with a 5 mm foam board core over clad in plasticard to keep the weight down.

A good innovative product, recommended.

post-9901-0-42272000-1434889261_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-17715700-1434889412_thumb.jpg

Here are two test baseboards both five foot by two foot six, the first is 50mm foamboard top with 3mm plywood on each side the ends are ply and the sides are 25mm foam board with 3mm ply one side still has to be done. The second board is traditional ply. the third photo is a foamboard leg!

The foambard baseboard is light and without bracing does not twist or move in any plane. There are no screws and even with great force nothing moves. The foamboard can be routed out very cleanly to take point motors etc, but with out bracing to get in the way I think this is the way we are going.

David

post-186-0-52812300-1435993549_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-63810200-1435993848_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-16362000-1435993894_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've built mine almost exactly the same as David's above.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/568/entry-5183-matford-new/

I've used an even simpler construction by using plain 4mm ply cross bracing which has stood the test of time in damp/dry storage for over five years now (no layout built on them yet!).

They're still absolutely flat. Some of the stored unused (and unbraced) 'polyfoam' has taken on a slight warp in storage which straightens up as soon as the framing and bracing has been built. I'm using it for the new Balcombe boards at the moment.   A 'torsion test' on the original build by standing on the end plate and twisting vigorously has proved the strength and flatness to be excellent after all this time.

All the ply is what has been recovered from previous layout boards. Waste not want not!

For me it's now the only way to go in the future, being quick to build (the drying of the adhesive takes longer than building the things!) and light to carry. A consideration for the elderly!

New build for Balcombe.

post-6728-0-97067000-1435996827_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately the 'Knauf Spaceboard' pink stuff that I use seems to be unavailable now Wickes used to keep stocks of it but no longer it seems.

The blue stuff which is available comes in around £8.75 m². Unfortunately the minimum order is around £100 so perhaps shared purchases might be the way to go. I haven't tried using the cheaper white stuff but the denser stuff is far less messy when cut. There's no reason why the white stuff can't be used but maybe thicker framing might be indicated.

http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/Floor-Insulation/Dow-Floormate-300A-Styrofoam-Insulation-Boards.htm

Unfortunately the 'Knauf Spaceboard' pink stuff that I use seems to be unavailable now Wickes used to keep stocks of it but no longer it seems.

I think I read somewhere that it's no longer available in the UK. I've got two sheets I bought a couple of years ago for a layout I never built, that will be used on my forthcoming O gauge Kent & East Sussex Railway layout. No idea what I'll use if I decide to add a scenic board!

Will be buying mine from Leroy Merlin when I go to France next week.

20mm thick 1.25 x 0.6m About £1.80 / sheet

30mm thick 1.25 x 0.6m About £2.80 / sheet

Extruded polystyrene

• RMweb Gold

I think I read somewhere that it's no longer available in the UK. I've got two sheets I bought a couple of years ago for a layout I never built, that will be used on my forthcoming O gauge Kent & East Sussex Railway layout. No idea what I'll use if I decide to add a scenic board!

There is a note on the 'net saying that it is being discontinued in the UK.

Jewson carry the blue styrofoam (80mm thickness) but the website doesn't give prices.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Gordon Gravett has taken extruded polystyrene to the next level with his Pempoul and Arun Quay layouts. You can follow his exploits to date in MRJ 235 and 239, definitely worth a look if you are exploring lightweight 'composite' baseboard construction.

best regards

Stanley

Archived