Fixing a Damaged Parkside Dundas Wagon

BG John

I've just won two 7mm Parkside Dundas wagons on eBay from the same seller. They arrived together apparently very well packed in bubble wrap with no external signs of damage, but one has taken a very big bash. The other one is fine. Both axles are bent and firmly wedged in place, and look like they'll need a fair bit of force to remove. Having never built a Parkside kit, I don't know how much force the w-irons will take. It looks like Slaters don't supply axles separately, and I don't yet know if the wheels are damaged, so it could end up costing as much to fix as I paid for it.

The brake on one side is also broken, and the bar across the end door is also broken at one end, so maybe Royal Mail were playing football with it! The brake is unbroken in the photo in the eBay listing.

I haven't contacted the seller yet, as I want to know what's involved in fixing it first. Any suggestions?

post-7091-0-59384200-1433872509.jpg

post-7091-0-67251100-1433872499.jpg

post-7091-0-38743000-1433872524.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I think I would cut through the axles and scrap that set of wheels. Get a new set. Any clue how the wagon has been put together? It looks like the axleguide is a seperate moulding glued into position, so you may be able to release it or maybe replace with a pair of spares from Parkside?

The brake parts should plastic weld together again...

Andy G

Hi Bg,

To be honest the wheels look quite pitted with rust, so I personally would buy another set of wheels as the ends of the axles have probably damaged the wheel centres.

I would also dip the new wheels and axles in some chemical blackening to stop any rusting and the coupling links needs some by the look of it, where did he build it ? On the bottom of the sea bed, so much rust !

As for the broken brake linkage, nothing a quick dab of super glue will put right.

HTH,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Hi BG,

I suggest you remove the wheels and axels from the model first.

This will then enable you to see if the plastic W Iron recovers from the position it is in.

You need new wheels and axles as a minimum.

If you email Parkside Dundas with a list of bits you need - they wiill give you the cost of them and P&P.

This one looks like its been stored in a damp shed for some time!

Thanks

I would certainly notify the sender and the carrier post haste that damage has occurred in transit, otherwise you may have no comeback in law. I believe that the usual time allowed is 3 days from receipt but I could be wrong.

Ros

If you try to claim for damaged stuff from royal mail they often want you to send them the damaged item, so I wouldn't do anything to it until their compensation is sorted out. At the very least that's going to need new wheels/axles. I suspect the bearing/axlebox moulding will be twisted as well so you'd have to replace those from park side. In your compensation claim remember to include the price of paint/glue/transfers. In my experience their 'experts' refused to reimburse me for the 3 hours of my time (I only asked for £10 for my time/inconvenience) it took rectifying royal mail's alterations but did pay back the list of items I'd costed.
My item was a scratchbuilt loco I sold, it arrived at the seller with one end of the packaging caved in by someone's foot and needed new buffers and bufferbeam, transfers and some paintwork. I had the buyer post it back to me with proof of posting and RM refunded that postage too.

Hi John, if you contact the ebay seller, they may reimburse you some of the monies paid as a settlement to save sending the wagons back, just send a polite note and open a case after that, at least if it pays for another set of axles

Best regards

Craig.

Just to add to this,  Parkside charge £1.30 a sprue for bits from their 7mm scale kits, which is excellent value to my mind.

I recently had enough sets of NBR W IRons to make 5 wagons and a pair of van ends for  £18.30 delivered.

A full refund is on its way from Paypal that will pay for fixing it. I gently forced the axles out today, as I had finger nails handy, but no metal cutting gear! One w-iron sprang back into place, but the other one got damaged. I contacted Parkside Dundas, and as Rob said, they will supply them for £1.30. So I'll order a sprue and some new wheels.

The old wheels look fine, so being a cheapskate I'll have a go at turning some new axles when I eventually get my lathe working. After I've tried bending the old ones back into shape, as there's just the remotest chance they may end up true, and not break!!! It will be good practice even if the end result isn't usable!

While I'm at it, I'll probably order more w-irons and some solebars to have a go at scratchbuilding a wagon. Each w-iron sprue does half a wagon, and there's another sprue with a pair of solebars. Not bad for £3.90, although I'm still getting my head round £9.25 for a set of wagon wheels. I fancy a dumb buffered wagon, as I'm too tight to pay for buffers too!

I had some axles bent like that. I tried to replace the axles, but the centre of the wheels was so damaged although they looked OK they never ran right.

I'm anticipating that, but it's worth a try if I've got nothing better to do, or need some practice on the lathe!

• 2 months later...

I haven't done it yet! I'm hoping I'll be able to start using it in the next week or so, so that should encourage me. I've got another wagon that came with missing parts to do at the same time. The bits for it arrived today, except that some were missing, so I've got to wait for a replacement!

Archived