Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

• RMweb Gold

Further to the above, I now want to add the 'extra' pipes from the parts bag but the instructions seem a little vague as to exactly where they go .... does anyone have a clear photo of exactly where they fit? ... there doesn't seem to be a locating slot on the model .... unless I missed it !

Which one have you got, as each one has detail difference's (including the extra pipework)

• RMweb Gold

LSWR 488

With the loco upside down, push the front bogie so it's pointing to the left and you will see a slot for the front pipe behind the buffer beam.

For the rear pipe, slide the rear set of wheels to the right and you will see a notch in the buffer beam for the rear pipe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone a shot of the Hornby Radial 'naked', showing where the motor and gubbins fits?

Crucially, does anyone know the height above the rails reached by the 'inards'?

If you go back through the pages on the topic, you'll find some pictures of them sans clothes, as I'm pretty sure both myself and Bertie Dog (and others) posted pictures of them in bits.

Edited by toboldlygo

If you go back through the pages on the topic, you'll find some pictures of them sans clothes, as I'm pretty sure both myself and Bertie Dog (and others) posted pictures of them in bits.

Thank you!  I had not gone back far enough.

I am considering a prototype with an even small, lower, boiler, so if anyone can tell me the height the motor sits above the rails, I'd be most grateful.

Thank you!  I had not gone back far enough.

I am considering a prototype with an even small, lower, boiler, so if anyone can tell me the height the motor sits above the rails, I'd be most grateful.

post-4032-0-70254100-1475178292.jpg

Just a reminder of what the chassis looks like from side/above

post-4032-0-24831900-1475178313.jpg

post-4032-0-79630700-1475178340.jpg

The distance from rail to top of motor which is the  highest part of chassis is 36.5 mm. 

Hope that helps.

I had an e-mail from Rails today and they are selling the Hornby Adams Radials for £99.50  each.  (Do I feel a 30582 coming on?)

However, they are also selling the Oxford rail ones for £74.50 so if you're getting one to chop up.....

attachicon.gifP1180449.JPG

attachicon.gifP1180450.JPG

attachicon.gifP1180453.JPG

The distance from rail to top of motor which is the  highest part of chassis is 36.5 mm. 

Hope that helps.

I had an e-mail from Rails today and they are selling the Hornby Adams Radials for £99.50  each.  (Do I feel a 30582 coming on?)

However, they are also selling the Oxford rail ones for £74.50 so if you're getting one to chop up.....

Yes, thank you very much.

I like Radials, but now I have a better idea of what else they can and can't be.

If anyone is interested in representing the class in LSWR days, there is now a topic in the Pre-Grouping section of the site that is concentrating on the use of RTR models for representing the LSWR, one of several topics appearing to consider how RTR models might be used for earlier periods.

The topic includes the Radial, M7, Well Tank, rolling stock etc and is to be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115499-using-rtr-models-to-represent-the-lswr/    

• Like 2

attachicon.gifP1180449.JPG

attachicon.gifP1180450.JPG

attachicon.gifP1180453.JPG

Hope that helps.

I hope you do not mind, but I have taken the liberty of re-posting your very helpful Radial pictures in the Pre-Grouping section of the site, where we are attempting to wrestle with the use of RTR releases for earlier periods: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115499-using-rtr-models-to-represent-the-lswr/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2453533.

Thank you again for posting this.

• 3 weeks later...

post-4032-0-02152100-1477032222.jpg

Just received 30582, was going to stick with 488 but couldn't resist this.  Mine came from Rails of Sheffield,  [no connection] very quick no-hassle delivery by Royal Mail. Now £89.

It ran perfectly,  straight out of the box. I oiled first where indicated in the instructions. But no problems with dragging bogie wheels, or the rear pony truck pivot raising the rear drivers.  Had it running 3/4 of an hour or so forwards and 1/2 hour or so in reverse, very quiet, and also runs very slowly. All detail attached!

post-4032-0-20421800-1477032742.jpg

One excellent bit of moulding, that I don't think I've seen mentioned elsewhere, is the Drummond  dome cover. It actually looks like a hollow cover with a slot where the  the safety valves come through. Hornby really seem to have the edge with LSWR details.

post-4032-0-96002400-1477032927.jpg

The M7 behind is just as good with this feature, which is really why I went for the Drummond boilered 415.

There we are, a really nice model of a Victorian loco as still running during virtually the last days of steam.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Nile. Am currently using the motion and pistons (from Peter's Spares) on an 0-4-0ST project. Works very well although the assemblies needed widening to clear the forward driving wheels, I guess because the 0415 is driven off the front axle so no need for the clearance.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nile. Am currently using the motion and pistons (from Peter's Spares) on an 0-4-0ST project. Works very well although the assemblies needed widening to clear the forward driving wheels, I guess because the 0415 is driven off the front axle so no need for the clearance.

On the Radial, the connecting rods are mounted inside the coupling rods, allowing the width over the cylinders to be minimised.

That's OK if driving the front axle but the con rod would foul the front crankpin if you tried it driving the rear one, hence your need to widen the cylinder assembly.

John

• RMweb Gold

As there are some really good deals around at the moment on the Radials, I am thinking of getting one.

I seem to recall reading on here details on when each loco got the late crest - but I cant find it? Can anyone help? 

Also, having seen the thread on the problems folk have had with DCC on these locos (at least the Hornby ones) - is it worth getting the retailer to fit the chip? At least then the loco will have been tested etc before dispatch?

"Good deals" for us maybe, but a demonstration of the problems of duplication to the manufacturers.

The Adams Radial should have been a money spinner if it had been done by just one manufacturer, having been done by two I can only hope that both at least broke even.

( The same applies to such items as the Kings and 1361. )

Also, having seen the thread on the problems folk have had with DCC on these locos (at least the Hornby ones) - is it worth getting the retailer to fit the chip? At least then the loco will have been tested etc before dispatch?

Absolutely - ask to see it running on DCC that way you know the wiring has been corrected. It is not hard to do if you need to do it yourself.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

As there are some really good deals around at the moment on the Radials, I am thinking of getting one.

I seem to recall reading on here details on when each loco got the late crest - but I cant find it? Can anyone help? 

30582 - July 1960 (withdrawn July 1961)

30583 - April 1959 (withdrawn July 1961)

30584 - Never (withdrawn January 1961)

Edited by Dunsignalling