Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

My method of painting wheel rims was to put the loco on a rolling road, apply a tiny bit of power so the wheels rotated fairly slowly, almost imperceptibly slow, and hold a bow pen in a vice grip against the wheel. Sometimes took a few applications In between allowing each coat to dry but looked great in the end.

Whilst I don't have any OO Radials I often use Staedtler Lumocolor permanent (black) marker pens for this sort of work with accurate results easily achieved. They do a Medium, small and fine nib and I'd estimate that the medium nib would cover this wheel work.

Hope that helps,

Dudley

• RMweb Gold

30582 - July 1960 (withdrawn July 1961)

30583 - April 1959 (withdrawn July 1961)

30584 - Never (withdrawn January 1961)

Depending how fussy you are, be mindful that 30582 is modelled in early crest condition with the lamp irons on the smokebox door so as such shouldn't have said crest.....

I am not fussy but hardly rocket science to change crests....even I can do it!

Rob.

Does anyone know if Hornby will produce an olive green radial? I can only find reference to a black one.

Surely this ought to be a given for 2017.

I'll have one please, go to with the lovely Hornby LSWR Maunsell rebuilt coaches waiting in the loft!     :yes:

• RMweb Gold

I am sure they will do the olive. Hornby make a smashing job of this livery.

Makes one want to model circa 1935.....mmmmmm.....! That's done it, thinking about this now....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have just checked the Hornby Website and noted that the branch train is coming soon..............please can someone explain 'New Tool'

The difference is subtle and perhaps not obvious at first sight.

The early-crest BR model of 30583 in the pack has a Drummond boiler (safety valves mounted on dome), the BR late emblem one being released separately and the previous model of her in preserved guise as 488 both have the Adams boiler.

John

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

One of the latest releases R3422 arrived in the post this morning, for once it will not need to be repainted for my modelling timeframe...

post-243-0-37802900-1485943865_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-66950000-1485943866_thumb.jpg

Posed on my work in progress Canute Road Quay shunting project http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114980-canute-road-quay/

• Like 14

Looks great in black and sunshine lettering. Have these only just been released? Hopefully they'll hang around longer than some of Hornbys other offerings

I'll have to wait as I'm expecting the Merchant Navy's to be out any day now and with 2 on pre-order funds are going to be a bit tight.

Nik

• RMweb Premium

Looks great in black and sunshine lettering. Have these only just been released? Hopefully they'll hang around longer than some of Hornbys other offerings

I'll have to wait as I'm expecting the Merchant Navy's to be out any day now and with 2 on pre-order funds are going to be a bit tight.

Nik

Thanks to the competition/duplication these models haven't flown off the shelves like some recent models. The price may well have dropped a bit by the time you buy one.

• RMweb Gold

I have to confess that I am getting seriously tempted to acquire one of these . Oxford Rail one can be bought cheaper 

from those who have them any preferences 

I have three - all Hornby.

Having looked at the Oxford Radials, I think the Hornby versions are superior - not drastically but a bit better everywhere you look, plus you get daylight under the boiler.  

That's not to say they are always faultless, I had to return one of the latest ones because the chimney was on crooked. It was perfect in every other respect and a superb runner straight out of the box. It was so good that I was tempted to rectify it myself (better the devil you know etc.) but the chimney was very firmly fixed. The best replacement (I had a pick of three and chose the best runner) has a wonky lamp iron that I'll need to sort out. 

Earlier issues of the Hornby ones are currently obtainable for just over £80 and some of the Oxfords for as little as £60 - at that differential, I'd definitely consider the Hornby ones a better bet.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I have to confess that I am getting seriously tempted to acquire one of these . Oxford Rail one can be bought cheaper 

I have both Hornby and Oxford. Hornby has a little more finesse, and full daylight under the boiler, otherwise there's little to put between them. Just bought the East Kent one from Oxford and very pleased with it. Yes, I know there are detail discrepancies, and questions about details of the livery. Can't say there's anything that's obvious enough to bother me although, to hear the comments of some folk I almost feel like I've condoned a crime! (CJL)

I have 2 of each make. Hornby edges it in general, and it little less fussy running wise (though they are not my first choice as practical daily running model) however Oxfordrails DCC sound is real bargain considering the tight space fitting it yourself.

Though l had great hopes for the OR model, the awful black block interfering with the daylight under the boiler made it a 'no go' for me.  A shame as l was looking to support the new venture, and, as you can probably guess from my name, the Adams 442T was always my favourite.

Subsequent models from OR have also proved a disappointment, both rolling stock and locos, though l hope the N7 might be an improvement.

I know there are some brave souls who have butchered the block and remade the lower boiler, but my time is valuable to me, having precious little to spare for modelling anyway, and l got a Hornby LSWR for a shade under £20.00 more.  Well worth it l thought.  

Edited by Adams442T