Modbury

Ian Smith

17 hours ago, John Brenchley said:

Hi Ian

A quick question regarding your small tank engines please.

I'm sure you have probably mentioned it somewhere in your writings but is there a 2mm source for the loco number plates?

Thanks

John

John,

My first 3 engines (1854 class, Metro and Buffalo) all have number plates from my own artwork and etched by PPD in 0.005” brass.  The 517 and Dean Goods both sport number plates etched for me by “Narrow Planet”.

Very satisfied with the NP ones, but as they are bespoke the delivery time can be a couple of months (not that I found that an issue!)

Hope that helps

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

No modelling to report (as I have completely lost my mojo since the end of summer).

However, yesterday saw myself and Modbury out and about at the North Mercia Area Group (NMAG) - some weeks ago Laurie had invited me to come along to show Modbury off and provide a presentation to the members there of what, how and why my modelling had taken the course it had.

From my perspective I think the day went very well, Modbury certainly seemed to generate a lot of interest.  I hope that the audience went away inspired and eager to progress their own projects.

I’d like to use this forum to publicly thank Laurie for inviting me and my train set along for the day, and hope that all those present took something away from the day (apart from full bellies from the wonderful buffet😆)

Ian

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

It was a great pleasure to see Modbury close up and personal and to be able to say a face to face thank you for the inspiration your writing and photos of your Dean Goods provided to me as I battled with the one for Yeovil.

Many thanks. I hope the "mojo" returns soon. Skills like yours should be used!

Tony Gee 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

I think the day did go very well, Ian, from all the comments that came back to me (and my own enjoyment of it), and it was Modbury and your talk that was the main draw (why we had our best turnout so far).  It is you to whom the thanks are due.

It is just such a beautiful layout, with wonderful workmanship.  As well as its USP's such as baulk road and scale point rodding, one of the things that makes it is its consistent scale and period.  This is another of those features which is not immediately obvious but just contributes, along with all the other details, to making it all just "look right": so you start to look more closely, and then analyse just why that is.  It is a rare pleasure, even in the finescales, to see a layout where everything is built to  the same scale and period - and I speak as a staunch defender of the "Rule 1" philosophy who will be using a mix of scratch-built 2FS and proprietary N conversions, and running anything from Adams (no relation, sadly!) and Dean to Riddles.  There is no doubt that your adherence to a consistent scale and period in Modbury makes for an utterly convincing, coherent and special historic model. 

We were priviliged to be able to see it up close for a full day and hear how you conceived and built it, and our sincere thanks to you for taking a long day out of your weekend to bring it up to Clayworth for our benefit.  That you achieved Modbury from a standing start re your knowledge and skills, and when faced with a problem just learnt the new skill for the new technique you needed, is a lesson to all of us to just make a start and get on with it, and not be "frightened".  One thing about our Association is the wealth of experience and support that is out there, and the willingness of our members to share it.

Thank you for sharing Modbury with us on Sunday, it certainly was/is inspirational and I hope you get your mojo back soon (I'm with Tony G on that).  Maybe Kath's cake (a scrumptious red velvet  this time) will prove some encouragement!

Laurie Adams

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to see Modbury on Sunday at the NMAG meeting. My father attended with me and took some video of the layout that Ian has kindly said he's happy for me to post on here.  Hope people enjoy it, truly inspirational modelling.

Rich

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing that video, Rich. It shows off Modbury well.

Ian, I like the signs of mucking-out taking place in the cattle siding. Just a very small detail but effective.

image.png.db3231b0d86e27b1ee377a8454eab9ed.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

Great work on the 262 so far - I would have never thought to do the bunker flare/beading like that (it’s bookmarked now for when I need to do some).  What thickness of phosphor-bronze are you using for the chassis sides?  

Many thanks

Simon

On 12/02/2023 at 09:46, CF MRC said:

I do like the way you have made a really tricky component (the tank fillers) simple by clever design. 

Tim

Tim,

Thank you.  A couple of locos ago I decided that this was a far easier and more robust method than trying to solder a piece of wire onto an upstand to represent the handle.  Normally, with round tank fillers I have turned the body and lid as a single piece so a slot all the way across the lid element worked well, however in this case having a separate lid I felt that the risk of things moving when reapplying heat was too great so elected for a half slot which meant that the new part being soldered in place acted as a "key" to hold everything together.

12 hours ago, MrSimon said:

Hi Ian,

Great work on the 262 so far - I would have never thought to do the bunker flare/beading like that (it’s bookmarked now for when I need to do some).  What thickness of phosphor-bronze are you using for the chassis sides?  

Many thanks

Simon

Simon,

Normally, I work in metal so the beading is soldered in place using fine wire (or in the case of cab side cut outs requiring an extension for the top of a handrail from a strip of 0.004" N/S - see my Duke build a little further back in the thread).  However, for this plastic build (with much thicker sides) it seemed sensible to do it the way that I did.  My chassis frames are from some 0.5mm phosphor bronze - I bought a small sheet several years ago and is more than enough for every loco I am ever likely to build, especially as most of my locos have solid brass chassis!!

Ian

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As somebody who has never painted and lined a 2mm loco, I was wondering if it worth trying to remove the moulded on boiler bands on the firebox and boiler. Trying to get transfers onto raised boiler bands which appear to have a slightly rounded top surface might be a bit of a nightmare, especially if the moulded bands and the transfers are not the same width.

They are well overscale anyway, so my thoughts would be to consider removing the moulded bands then adding transfers.

I have no idea how easy or difficult that might be in 2mm but it is something I have done on 4mm models and it works well so I would certainly be giving it a coat of thinking about.

I think it would show up a bit if most locos have lined boilers and one doesn't.

12 hours ago, t-b-g said:

As somebody who has never painted and lined a 2mm loco, I was wondering if it worth trying to remove the moulded on boiler bands on the firebox and boiler. Trying to get transfers onto raised boiler bands which appear to have a slightly rounded top surface might be a bit of a nightmare, especially if the moulded bands and the transfers are not the same width.

They are well overscale anyway, so my thoughts would be to consider removing the moulded bands then adding transfers.

I have no idea how easy or difficult that might be in 2mm but it is something I have done on 4mm models and it works well so I would certainly be giving it a coat of thinking about.

I think it would show up a bit if most locos have lined boilers and one doesn't.

Tony,

Normally I would just have the transfers to represent the boiler bands (indeed on my unlined boiler band locos I still use decal film for the bands before painting), however I decided to leave the moulded boiler bands in place (and now almost wish I’d filed the off 🤣).

However with Tim and guilt getting the better of me I have started to add the transfers to the moulded bands and must admit I think it looks better for it.

Ian

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...