Modbury

Ian Smith

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations on completing the 45xx, Ian. It is excellent. The cylinders alone!

Very nice finish on the horsedrawn wagon too, chain and all. I like "rulley", seems to be a Yorkshire word?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/04/2023 at 13:35, Ian Smith said:

A couple of chains (of twisted fine wire) were added hanging down just in front of the rear wheels (I think they were a form of hand brake, allowing the wheels to be tethered to prevent rotation).

IMG_4698.JPG.3a91355b07d38a15974769113f5c158d.JPG

The chains would attach to a U shaped steel slipper shoe that would slide under the wheel when going down hill. The dray-man would put it under the front of the wheel  whence it would slide and hence brake the waggon.  It could also act as a chock when parking. There are probably many variations on this theme. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

Great work as usual,Ian.I am plucking up courage to get a couple of Worsley Works D37's and a C15 to form a short rake.Some months ago John Aldrick showed me  photos of some 10' Dean Bogies he had made using modified Association Pullman bogies which gave a very good representation and I am intending to do the same,but wondered what you intended using?

Ian Lilley

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ian Lilley said:

Great work as usual,Ian.I am plucking up courage to get a couple of Worsley Works D37's and a C15 to form a short rake.Some months ago John Aldrick showed me  photos of some 10' Dean Bogies he had made using modified Association Pullman bogies which gave a very good representation and I am intending to do the same,but wondered what you intended using?

Ian Lilley

Ian,

I was lucky in that Richard Brummitt furnished me with a set of his etchings for a pair of Dean 10’0” bogies. I have added springs and axleboxes from my own 8’6” Dean bogie etches. Richard’s etch includes laminations to build up the volute springs which I think I will use. Brake gear will also be poached from my 8’6” ones. Step boards will be fabricated from some strips of step boards that I included on my 6 wheel coach etch to fill up space.

Ian

• Like 1

Thank you Ian,now you mention it I seem to remember reading somewhere, several years ago, that Richard had produced Dean bogie etches.Looking forward to watching your progress which should give me guidance in my own efforts,

Many thanks,Ian Lilley

• RMweb Premium
On 11/05/2023 at 12:08, Ian Smith said:

Ian,

I was lucky in that Richard Brummitt furnished me with a set of his etchings for a pair of Dean 10’0” bogies. I have added springs and axleboxes from my own 8’6” Dean bogie etches. Richard’s etch includes laminations to build up the volute springs which I think I will use. Brake gear will also be poached from my 8’6” ones. Step boards will be fabricated from some strips of step boards that I included on my 6 wheel coach etch to fill up space.

Ian

The Association will hopefully be releasing kits for 8' 6" and 10' Dean bogies probably September-ish. These will be etched frames with 3D printed volute springs. I'm waiting for one final test etch before going to production.

Nigel Hunt

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Ian Lilley said:

Thank you Ian,now you mention it I seem to remember reading somewhere, several years ago, that Richard had produced Dean bogie etches.Looking forward to watching your progress which should give me guidance in my own efforts,

Many thanks,Ian Lilley

2012 it was. Amazing how time flies! I’ve done a few re-runs since, most recently this last year. I have a few in hand if you’d like a pair PM me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little reminder that Modbury will be at RailEx, Stoke Mandeville, Aylesbury this weekend (27th -28th May 2023) - http://www.railex.org.uk.  There is a good presence of 2mm finescale layouts on show (Freshwater, Kyle of Lochalsh, Bath Sheds & Modbury), along with various other delights in a variety of scales.

9copy.jpg.eeee15f7711a3573d371aabb1f0f6ab2.jpg

An Up local passenger train of 6 wheeled coaches headed by Metro tank 615 departs from Modbury, while a pick up goods hauled by a Dean Goods pauses at the signal box awaiting the single line token before it can proceed towards Plymouth.

Hope that some of you will be able to come along to RailEx and say hello.

Thanks for looking.

Ian

Edited by Ian Smith
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Beautiful layout, I came back to see it a few times. The way you run it kept it busy too which was more than could be said for some of the massive layouts there

really great modelling and the highlight of the show for me

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I will be interested to see what you make of it Ian. I would suggest sliding at least one rail into the chairs would help with alignment. I presume you fix them down in a length. I think the GWR was using about 40ft lengths which would be about 16 to 20 sleepers depending on the exact spacing used. 

As for the buckets just superb.

Don 

• 4 months later...

Just a heads up. My train set, Modbury, will be making its last appearance of 2023 at the Portsmouth Model Railway exhibition on Saturday 18th November (Admiral Lord Nelson School on Dundas Lane, Portsmouth, PO3 5XT).

9copy.jpg.c6bf3c0175f906d2929ee4053f29965f.jpg

14.jpg.f06d2aa2f86d6c60c7c6c499a60ed9c3.jpg

64.JPG.ca6e4cd5ac649885c28dc46d110915cb.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG.16a979bbd015547d27f4658e8cff8a38.JPG

Ian

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

Just a heads up. My train set, Modbury, will be making its last appearance of 2023 at the Portsmouth Model Railway exhibition on Saturday 18th November (Admiral Lord Nelson School on Dundas Lane, Portsmouth, PO3 5XT).

Last! No!

(Can't make this Saturday, unfortunately.)

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Ian

Ian,

You really cannot describe Modbury as a train set!  Wonderful and superb piece of landscape modelling containing a 2mm to the foot railway yes .. but train set no!!!  Hope to see it at exhibition sometime, but it was great to spend a few hours with it when you attended the NMAG meeting. It shows the skill of your modelling to perfection.

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1