Modbury

Ian Smith

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Yes, but that's the influence of one's preconceptions. Though I confess I was so shocked by this:

GWV5No.69984Foxtransfers.JPG.b5443492dfa075472c33801216c0dddc.JPG

that I haven't got round to weathering it. (Also suffering from doubt about the lettering - I'm fairly sure it would have had cast plates when new.)

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If the final painting was carried out when the body was already mounted on its chassis (which obviously it was), it would have been more productive, and therefore cheaper, to have painted it all the same colour; given the metalwork on the body a paint suitable for application to primed metal would have had to be used anyway.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm fairly sure it would have had cast plates when new

Well, if you thought the matter of red/grey wagon livery was a mystery wrapped up in an enigma, the question of which wagons received cast plates and when is far worse...

Having said that, I don't recall seeing a picture of a digram V5 (which I think your model is of) in original condition, so I don't think you need worry too much. Shouldn't it have central ventilation bonnets, though?

Nick.

[Cue torrent of photos of V5s with cast plates...]

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, magmouse said:

Having said that, I don't recall seeing a picture of a digram V5 (which I think your model is of) in original condition, so I don't think you need worry too much. Shouldn't it have central ventilation bonnets, though?

It's Coopercraft straight out of the packet, so I deny any responsibilty for bonnets. (Not quite true: I've added a representation of the swan-neck lever but apparently not the quadrant.)

Apologies for this 4 mm thread drift.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Sounds logical, but all coaching stock, passenger-carrying or non-passenger-carrying, did not follow that principle.

But if you think about it, the painting process for coaching stock was quite different to that for wagons.

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It's Coopercraft straight out of the packet, so I deny any responsibilty for bonnets. (Not quite true: I've added a representation of the swan-neck lever but apparently not the quadrant.)

Apologies for this 4 mm thread drift.

It’s the way I see these things but the first thing I noticed was the missing bit of brake mechanism. Sorry. 

V5s had central bonnets according to the engineering drawing reproduced in Atkins. They aren’t shown on the diagram but they aren’t shown on the diagram for V12 either and they were built with a pair of louvres and shutters each end. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

V5s had central bonnets according to the engineering drawing reproduced in Atkins. They aren’t shown on the diagram but they aren’t shown on the diagram for V12 either and they were built with a pair of louvres and shutters each end. 

Blame Coopercraft then! 

8 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

It’s the way I see these things but the first thing I noticed was the missing bit of brake mechanism. Sorry. 

I have bodged up a representation of the lifting link and quadrant on other wagons, black plasticard, difficult to see, I'm afraid:

GWO4Nos.76081and76001DC1brake.JPG.5e8192b2cafb735c8edb5a6eeefa5834.JPG

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

In order to try to rekindle a bit of modelling mojo, today I have been playing trains having a running session on Modbury.  Whilst running a few trains, I also took the opportunity to video a few of the movements.  After an hour or two of editing, the result has been uploaded to YouTube : 

Thanks for looking.

Ian 

Thanks for posting it. 

It's always a pleasure watching Modbury.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

In order to try to rekindle a bit of modelling mojo, today I have been playing trains having a running session on Modbury.  Whilst running a few trains, I also took the opportunity to video a few of the movements.  After an hour or two of editing, the result has been uploaded to YouTube : 

Thanks for looking.

Ian 

Time well spent (making and watching). The lower shot of the railmotor running into the scene was particularly enjoyable. 

• Thanks 1