Modbury

Ian Smith

• RMweb Gold

There is a type of biological weathering the green algae and lichen growths that you get on a motorhome if the roof isn't cleaned. I think a coach roof might suffer the same if neglected.  

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely job Ian . Regarding the seats in mine are all painted a dark leathery brown. No idea whether or not it is correct but no one has suggested anything different. Being 7mm the interior is a bit more visible but not that clear unless you take the roof off.

Don 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

With the Steam Rail Motor completed, I felt she was ready to be released back out into the wild.  Here she is in her natural habitat :

IMG_4562.thumb.JPG.3653d043fb4d84263bd3a1c014f840e7.JPG

Plymouth bound approaching Modbury having just passed the Down Home.

IMG_4563.thumb.JPG.1546d85d85de2e934002dbf7e5147f03.JPG

On a return trip awaiting to depart Modbury.

Tomorrow she will be packed up along with a variety of other Modbury stock ready for the 2mm Association's 60+2 year Diamond Jubilee weekend event in Derby (at the Derby Conference Centre, DE24 8UX) (http://www.2mm.org.uk/DJubilee/index.html).  Although Modbury won't be in attendance, the Midland Area Group will be there with St Ruth (where my stock has a second home as the "St Ruth Preservation Society").  Hopefully, there will be a couple of other non-DCC layouts there where the Rail Motor, et al will be able to visit 😉

Thanks for looking

Ian

Simply stunning, looking forward to seeing her at the weekend,

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

That really is extraordinary, even for you Ian. 

The first photo also for me highlights how effective the landscaping is, with the ground sloping up to the embankment and the trees behind, forming a a natural stage for the passing stock.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

You might want to reconsider renumbering the O4. The O4s were 7'6" wide. The O3/5 etc later opens were 8'0" wide.

Thanks Russ. I did know that. One of the (undocumented) things I did do with my kit bash was to narrow the width slightly. I can’t remember whether I narrowed it by a full millimetre (6”) or as much as I dared by taking a bit off the corner plates each side.

Ian

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

13 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

You might want to reconsider renumbering the O4. The O4s were 7'6" wide. The O3/5 etc later opens were 8'0" wide.

Oh dear, you would have a field day with my wagons. Most of the numbers on mine are made up - many are just a series of dots and dashes. Ive been complimented more than once on how good the tiny letters and numbers on some of my stock looks - usually on stock where there isnt any!!

This is 2mm scale.

Fantastic work as ever Ian. Look forward to seeing you at Wells next month,

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Replacement transfers can be sent if you'd like Ian.  DM me your address and I'll stick one in the post if so.  Mind you, I think it looks suitably dirty and used as it is!

Kevin,

Thanks for the offer but I’m happy with it as it is. It looks suitably dirty (although I have to admit that I don’t know what colour coal tar was, or indeed how viscous it was).

9 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

very very nice but would the lime wash extend over the end? not familiar with the prototype so may well have done 

Nick,

The early wagons had slots in the ends as in the sides. I actually have a photo of the end of a wooden framed cattle wagon that has the lime wash seeping through the gaps in the planks all the way to the roof!  However if I modelled that I’m sure it would be questioned so I’d need to take the photographic evidence to all the exhibitions I attend 😂

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

I have to admit that I don’t know what colour coal tar was, or indeed how viscous it was.

Coal Tar Soap was brown, as was a Coal Tar Shampoo I used to use. Don't know if that helps ...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

Coal Tar Soap was brown, as was a Coal Tar Shampoo I used to use. Don't know if that helps ...

But the wagon is for the conveyance of the raw ingredient, not the finished product!

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Kevin,

Thanks for the offer but I’m happy with it as it is. It looks suitably dirty (although I have to admit that I don’t know what colour coal tar was, or indeed how viscous it was).

Nick,

The early wagons had slots in the ends as in the sides. I actually have a photo of the end of a wooden framed cattle wagon that has the lime wash seeping through the gaps in the planks all the way to the roof!  However if I modelled that I’m sure it would be questioned so I’d need to take the photographic evidence to all the exhibitions I attend 😂

Ian

Hi

When I’ve used homemade or the Alps printed type of transfers I coat them with Johnson’s Klear to seal them. It’s then possible to overcoat with enamel paint but not sure if it would withstand thinners.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

Re coal tar:

I used to work in the steel industry where coal tar was a by product of coke production.

No surprises regarding colour - black

viscosity was variable depending on how much water was entrained.

At it’s best it would be like runny honey.

Thank goodness you don’t model smell though it was like very strong bitumen and it’s chemical composition was foul.

• Informative/Useful 2